Floor damage from cracked drain pipe under sink.

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
Update.
The adjuster looked at the HTT today while I was at work. He called and told me he thought the water entered through staple holes in the plastic and marked them with pink dots (I added a couple picture to the folder). He said it was water from the road while driving in the rain. Well there was absolutely no rain from start to finish on this trip. The trip before this was also rain free in October of 2021. The trip before that was June 2021. It rained one day while we were camping, but I don't recall any rain while travelling. When you press on the plastic under the camper water will seep out around the staples. I guess he thinks I'm buying the water has been in there for a year or more?

He hasn't made any mention of it not being covered, but his general tone gives me a bad gut feeling.

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
I doubt if water traveled upward and damaged the floor.

I must have missed the story....Is this trailer under warranty or insured for leaks?
No warranty. I mentioned in my post about our trip last week. I do have collision and comprehensive insurance on it. I did ask him how he thought water defies gravity. He said it's thrown up from the tire. This is a light weight camper and probably has the floor that is thin wood with a foam core. Even if the water did enter from the bottom I think the damage would be to the bottom, not the top.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Yea, water travels the least path of resistance, so it wouldn't hit the bottom and drip up. The bottem of the camper is sealed, so if water gets in there it will pool and stay there as you stated. Drop the panel and see whats happening.

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
Update.
After telling me multiple times that the water didn't come from the drain and offering another BS explaintion we got into an argument over the phone. He's claiming that the water entruded through the door. I said again there was no rain on the trip where did the water puddled in the floor come from? He began to tell me how drians don't leak that much water and the I had said we used the kitchen sink. I said yes we used the kitchen sink doing dishes and drained it and went to bed. He said the broken drain pipe is under the bathroom sink and the two don't connect. I said they connect to the same storage tank. When the kitchen sink was emptied the tank over filled it backed up into the pipes. Being the pipe was cracked the water leaked out onto the floor. He said the damage is near the door not under the sink (there is a slight bulge under the sink). I said that because I direct the AC water off the end of the camper to the down hill end of the site so it isn't running through our site. We've been through this multiple times already then he said he wasn't aware that the tank had overfilled. At one point after saying what I watched happening didn't happen (basically I'm a lier) I told him I expected this from one of Satan's menions. He got offended and I pointed out that he was calling me a liar and trying to find a reason to deny my claim. He said no, I'm here to help you. I said calling me a liar and trying to get out of fixing my camper I'm paying you to insure isn't help. At the beginning of the call he said he was sending me a form to sign. It's a teardown authorization form. Basically they want me to sign it, and take it to a shop to have it taken apart so they can further investigate the cause of the water damage. If it's determined that it's a covered repair the will cover the teardown and repairs. If they determine it isn't a covered repair I have to pay the bill. I'm not signing that and think I may need to call a lawyer.

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
I would think comprehensive insurance wouldn't cover water damage unless it was from a peril like falling objects, vandalism, ect. Usually the two big exclusions insurance companies have for not covering water damage is: 1.) Manufacturing defects 2.) Lack of or improper maintenance.

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
This week the insurance company informed me they would not cover the without a teardown to "prove" the claim. They can't even bring themselves to admit the teardown is an attempt to deny the claim. I thought Gieco was bad with one of their insured hit our van, but Progressive takes the cake. I'm not cleaning my camper out and taking it to a shop to sit for God know how many months for them to remove the door and Progressive to inspect it. The floor is still solid, but swollen. I'll make it until it starts getting soft the have it repaired myself. I can deal with Ryan Green from Progressive anymore. If I do I'm going to need bail money and he's going to need reconstructive dental work.

Latest posts