floor replacement on a hybrid

dmitrym

Sep 13, 2013
Hi guys,

We picked up a 2005 hybrid and looks like the front has allowed some water and the floor at least in the forward compartment is done:

Photo%202016-04-03%2C%202%2020%2029%20PM.jpg

Photo%202016-04-03%2C%202%2020%2038%20PM.jpg

Can you guys recommend how to start tackling this? Are there any project step by steps we can follow?

Underneath the trailer, the floor seems to be covered with some sort of cloth-like material which is new to me. Previously all the trailers I've seen had bare plywood. Does anyone know what that is?

Riveyman

Apr 15, 2014
NC
The floors are foam sandwiched between 2 thin luan boards. And the barrier on the bottom (underneath).
What you have shown is the top luan board. I've seen this cut out and the replaced with a new piece of luan.
Question is, is the bottom the same? Probably.

First, figure out where the water is coming from. Is the bunk door leaking? Does the unit have a slide out?

Do a search here on "Hybrid Floor replacement" It'll bring up a couple good links with pics.

Check this out.... http://popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=73151.0

And saw another that had a lot of photos. I'll have to see if I can find it.

dmitrym

Sep 13, 2013
Thanks Riveyman, that is very helpful. The front of the trailer was damaged and the previous owner didn't do a good job sealing that, so we'll work all of that.

If you can find the post you're referring to that would be great. The more pics the better :)

dmitrym

Sep 13, 2013
Hi everyone,

Would appreciate some further advice. It looks like the water damage is more extensive than originally thought. We basically ahve to pull the front end out. So I have two questions and would really appreciate some pointers:

[list type=decimal]
[*]How do we replace the plywood that's under the interior wall?
[*]How do re place the plywood under the appliances (like the fridge)?
[/list]

Alternatively, can we replace the plywood flush with the wall and the appliances and treat the rest for mould? Extracting the fridge feels like it would be quite complex.

Thanks!

Dubbya

Wherever you go, there you are...
Aug 2, 2011
Steinbach, MB
FWIW, it's pretty tough to piecemeal patch the floor because the edges of each piece need support. There are several threads around where members have pounded in 2x4's or even 2x6's to support the edges of each saw cut and others have welded in steel struts to support the floor patches.

Typically, the walls are framed and paneled on one side then anchored through the sole plate thorough the floor and frame, then the exterior paneling is applied. To re-anchor the walls properly, you'd need to remove the paneling from one side so you can drive screws through the sole plate and into the floor and/or frame. Additionally, it's best to remove walls but you can use a saws-all to cut the screws that anchor the wall through the floor, remove the rotted floor then try to shove the new floor under the wall.

I did a frame-up restoration on my pup (the construction methods used in the walls and floor are basically the same) that might prove insightful. I list all the methods and materials used to replace the entire floor and added steel struts to support the edges of the OSB sheathing but you could always scale it up or down to suit your particular needs. Each strut was made by hand and bolted in place. They're still all rock-solid 3 years later.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=56883.msg475858#msg475858

dmitrym

Sep 13, 2013
Dubbya, thanks for your answer. Can you expand why each plywood piece needs support? Our plan is to epoxy each piece in place on top of the styrofoam/aluminum grid and then weigh it in place.

What do we risk by not removing the remaining wood under the walls? Would it compromise wall/structural integrity?

Dubbya

Wherever you go, there you are...
Aug 2, 2011
Steinbach, MB
You have to support the edges of the plywood patches or they won't bear weight.

If the wood under the walls is rotted, it'll compress and your walls will move around.

Like the good book says, don't build your house on sand. [;)]

Latest posts