florida beach cg

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by apopkabob, Jun 4, 2012.

1. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

Looking for a nice beach cg in Florida any recommendation would be appreciated [PU] [TV]

2. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Where about do you want to go? East coast, west, panhandle, etc.
    Anastasia is a park on the beach (St. Augustine), but the sites are not on the beach. Quarter mile from beach or so.
    Fort Desoto (Pinellas, Tampa Bay area) has sites on the water, but are not technically on the beach but more on the backwaters. Great park. Good fishing too.
    Jonathan Dickenson is somewhere in the southeast but I'm not positive where. Palm Beach area?? Sites are on water (intercostal I think).
    There is a place in the northeast in the panhandle area but I don't know the name. There are sites on the beach on a dune and from what I remember reading and is a nice park.

Hopefully someone with more exact information will chime in.

3. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Of course there are a couple State Parks in the Keys with sites on the water.
    There are a few private campgrounds throughout the state on water as well.

I wish I could remember the name of a private campground we stayed at years ago when we had our first pup.
    It was in the Keys somewhere near the 7 mile bridge. Our site was on a peninsula and our door faced the ocean or bay, and the back of our site faced a little canal that went into the campground. We rented a small boat for a few days and pulled it up right behind the site. We caught a good amount of fish right from our site too. Actually was sitting under the awning while fishing, lol.

4. papachaz

papachaz New Member

ok i wanna know the name of that place i could sit under my awning and fish! LOL ok wiz, put the thinking cap on!

5. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

I'm in orlando so I'm convenient to a lot I have reservations at anistasia in July and we are checking out jetty park this week has anybody check out the silver springs
    ocala national forest

6. popuppartyof5

popuppartyof5 Are we having fun yet???

We stayed at Talbot Island state campground this spring and loved it. Quiet small campground. The beach is just a short bike /car ride across the main road. The campground is about 10 mins from amelia island and is outside Jacksonville. Really well kept. Highly recommend. The beach was nice and we went Easter week and it was pretty empty. The campground was full but the beach was nice and quiet. Most of the campsites are covered with a canopy of trees with spanish moss. If you have a canoe or kayak the campground has a small boat launch into the marshes and intercoastal? Check it out [:D]

7. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Longpoint in Sebastian is on an island and all of the outside sites are water front. Good inshore fishing there too. Beach is across A1A.

Papachaz, I'll try to figure it out. I want to go back there too. Caught a nice legal grouper that became dinner one night. Lol

8. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

LOL... I know this is your thread but what does Silver Springs have to do with a beach CG? I've never been so I can't help you on that one.
    The guys have already provided great advice about CGs on the beach. The one I'll add even though some people don't care for it is Gamble Rogers. You can read the review I did a couple of weeks ago. We loved Ft de Soto, Jetty Park, and Anastasia. We are looking to book @ North Beach CG in St Augustine even though that's a private campground and Sebastian Inlet State Park. There is also a private CG called Beverly Beach RV Camptown Resort. On the gulf coast, there is Turtle Beach Campground which is a county park.

These might be too far, but I have heard great things about Grayton Beach State Park, Long Key State Park, Fort Clinch State Park, Bahia Honda State Park, and there is another one by Panama City that escapes my mind.

I hope this is helpful.

9. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

PCB has St. Andrews state park. it is within walking distance to the water at most sites.

10. jjkach

jjkach New Member

We camp at Jonathan Dickinson State Park alot. It is in Hobe Sound, south of Stuart. The intercoastal is about a mile or two away as well as the beach. They also have a river that is good for kayaks, canoes, fishing. Jetty Park is near the beach/intercoastal.

11. kpthook

kpthook New Member

Two come to mind that I have been to.

Gamble Rogers State Recreation Area north of Ormond Beach. Right on the Atlantic. Be prepared though. Absolutely no shade. Tough getting reservations.

My personal favorite Bahia Honda down in the Keys about 35mi north of Key West proper. A awesome park and if you are very lucky (well skill and superior ability, lol) you can score a water front site Atlantic or Bay if you book 11 months in advance. Headed there in July for a week. [:D]

12. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

Bahia Honda is on the to of my list for next sorting

13. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

That's a long haul to Bahia Honda from Orlando, right?

14. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Yes, but is in Florida. [:D]

15. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

just got back from Bahia Honda...nice park, lots to do. But, we prefer Lonk Key State Park (which is being renovated...they aren't taking reservations yet, but do have walk up sites available).

Some of us are hitting Long Point over here in Brevard County over Labor Day...come join us if you can.

16. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

The park near the seven mile bridge is sunshine key they are part of the encore chain

17. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

I saw your pictures and you have a wonderful family! I guess when my kids grow up, I'll have to replace putting the bikes on top of the van with kayaks? LOL
    Is that beach right on the park? Is it far from the campsites?

18. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Jim, we stayed in Site # 42. it wasn't on the water or on the beach. It is a nice little walk or very short car drive to the beach. There are a couple of campsites that are right along the beach on the north east side..only a few for PUPs (these were already reserved. [:(]) Anyhoo...our bikes go on the bike rack on top of the camper, when we bring them, the kayaks now go on the roof of the Durango.

19. jdesiano1

jdesiano1 A bad day fishin is better than a good day at work

20. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

Have you camped there recently?
    I'd love to check it out, but the closeness to the other campers intimidates me. Anybody have any pictures?