Florida Fall Rally 2012 - O'Leno S.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizfisher

Super Active Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cool Jamie. See you in 2 days. [:D]

I was just informed by the boss that we will have these things at the "Finger food Friday" meet and greet thing at our site....(site 18)
Pigs in a blanket
Summer sausage and cheese bites
Little peanut butter sandwiches
Shrimp cocktail
Grapes
Li'l smokies in some sauce my Mom used to make.
and some things others are bringing.....

Swing by and grab a snack, say hey, and pick up your rally attendance sheet.

jimmyg

Apr 30, 2012
Just reserved Thursday eve also. We should be pulling in late Thursday afternoon/early evening! :)

hawk232

Jul 19, 2012
all you thursday arrivers/monday departers make me sick!!!! go somewhere else and quit bragging lol

question from anyone that has been there. I am looking at pics on google earth of the river and it looks like it could be descent from some wading/stream style flyfishing (for small bass and bream). can anyone confirm that the river is shallow enough to be wadable?

Kdugan

Jul 8, 2010
Hey, we can check it out for you "Tomorrow" too [;)]

We hope everyone has a safe ride which ever day you may be arriving [:D]

See everyone soon!

jeffandeb

Jun 16, 2012
Wishing everyone a safe trip and a great time. It's too bad we only get together twice a year. I think everyone should post there up coming trips and if anyone can make it great!!. We will be at Jonathan Dickinson with Kim and Apples Nov. 30Th. If anyone here can make it :) miss you guys and have a [CB] for us.

Wizfisher

Super Active Member
Mar 5, 2009
Had to build a chicken coop today and will be loading up the camper tonight and tomorrow.
We have A LOT of stuff to bring.

Drive safe everyone.

hawk232

Jul 19, 2012
2 DA WDS, KDUGAN.... i hate you both and i am very disappointed to become aquainted with you over the weekend...

[}:)] [}:)]

[LOL]

jjkach

Super Active Member
Sep 8, 2007
Hope you all have great time! Travel safe! Happy camping and take lots of pics! Wish there could be more rallys!

jmcclung11

Super Active Member
Aug 10, 2008
Fishersville, VA
This day is going by sooooo slllllloooooooowwwwwww! I am waiting for 12ish before I can leave work. Then, it is off to pack the Durango and wait on the kids to get home from school!

gwineinger

Jul 10, 2007
To Cuckoo, us and Reel Nauti are getting ready to pass Yee Haw junction. Wish you were pulling in behind us. We're really going to miss you and Bill the wonder dog!

heathdavis

May 15, 2011
jimmyg said:
Just reserved Thursday eve also. We should be pulling in late Thursday afternoon/early evening! :)

Not wadeable within the park. The banks are steep and it gets deep fast. I know it is shallower upstream but I'm not sure where or how far.
There are a lot of little ponds (sinks) in the park that may be fishable, however, and people do fish off the banks

The Santa Fe River is unusual. It runs through OLeno, then descends into a giant sinkhole where it travels for three miles. It comes back up at a place called "River Rise" in the River Rise Preserve adjoining O'Leno. It then proceeds on its way to join the Suwannee River.

There are trails and boardwalks along the river and you can go down and see the slowly swirling water going down the sinkhole. Pretty cool. There's also a neat suspension bridge across the river.

If you really want a good canoe or kayaking trip, drive south on US 441 about 3-4 miles from the OLeno park entrance. You will now be downstream of the River Rise.
Right after you cross the bridge over the Santa Fe river, you will come to the Santa Fe Canoe Outpost. They will rent you a canoe or kayak for however long a trip you want and they will pick you up downstream. You can go past a lot of beautiful springs and jump in them as you go. Also you can pull over to the bank and fish. You might even see "Naked Ed" at Lily spring.
The Outpost people have always been very friendly to us. Here's their website:
www.santaferiver.com

heathdavis

May 15, 2011
Well, I'll be there with the husband and kid, but not until midday Saturday.

Don't let anyone into our spot, #10! :)

The kid has a band concert Friday evening and I don't think we'll feel motivated to drive up to O'Leno afterwards.

So it will just be Saturday night for us.

There's a big Gator game vs. South Carolina on Saturday afternoon. The husband is thinking of bringing a TV and seeing if he can pick it up on the antenna. Is anyone else thinking of watching the Gator game?

Wizfisher

Super Active Member
Mar 5, 2009
We will be leaving a little later than planned as well. Taking a lot longer than expected to load up everything.
I think we will be leaving around 3ish which would put us there around 6:00.

See everyone there and drive safe.

heathdavis, there are a few people bringing tvs. We have one in our camper and I will be trying to get some channels tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.