Florida - Long Key State Park reservation

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by rjniles, Feb 13, 2013.

1. rjniles

rjniles Member

Just made my reservation for next January. Long Key is in the Florida Keys just north of Marathon. Have not stayed there before but drove through 2 years ago when we stayed at Bahia Honda. It is a beautiful park and all sites are direct ocean front.

I know some of you dislike making reservations especially 11 months in advance; but it is a necessity if you are trying to get into a popular place in southern Florida in the winter (and they are all popular). The 4 state parks in the Keys that have camping fill up instantly at 8AM 11 months to the day that a site opens. You must do it on line because if you call Reserve America, the sites are filled before you could utter a word to the agent. (And you had better have a fast internet connection.)

2. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Good for you [A] We always make reservations as soon as they are available at the places we want to go and get the site we want. Our vacation time is too important to settle.

3. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

wow, good for you. I have problems making res that far in advance because stuff happens but I live in SWF and can camp whenever I can [8D]

4. kelknight84

kelknight84 New Member

Your post inspired us so we booked 3 nights here in July! Looks nice!

5. rjniles

rjniles Member

Glad I inspired you. July reservations are a lot easier to get than January.

6. jjkach

jjkach New Member

We booked here also! Beautiful park! Kids love it!

7. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Long Key SP is our Favorite! Didn't book this year, but we have been going to the Keys for the week of Memorial Day the past 3 or 4 years. I might have to book that trip again.

8. jdesiano1

jdesiano1 A bad day fishin is better than a good day at work

Earlier today I actually made a reservation for Long Key State Park for Columbus Day weekend in October but then got home and realized it wasn't much beach there so I cancelled it and booked bahia honda for the same weekend hope I didn't make a mistake

9. rjniles

rjniles Member

Bahia Honda is a great park. Hope you got the ocean side in the Sand Spur loop.

10. jdesiano1

No there were only 4 sites left, 2 I couldn't fit into ,1 was for wheelchair only so I took the only 1 left it is site 2 on the big loop. We just traded in the pop up and got a hybrid so we won't fit on a small site anymore. I figure I managed to grab a site within the 11 month period [8D] [HY] [PUT]

11. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Uh-oh! We love Long Key over Bahia Honda. All sites are right on the beach! It is a little quieter too. The beach is nice (not very big) and the water is awesome. Bahia Honda is always more crowded (due to a lot more sites). But, either way, you are in the Keys, so enjoy it!

Long Key is great because you can walk out of your camper and can be on the beach or in the water in a second. Bahia Honda, if you don't get a beach site, you have to walk or drive t the beach. A lot of the RV spots are on the water, but it is rocky and not a beach.

12. curtisimo81

curtisimo81 New Member

We made reservations for Mariana Caverns State Park next week. I just hope the water recedes for the caverns to be reopened. Let us know how you like the camp ground.

13. carols

carols New Member

As I recall, site 2 in Bahia Honda is a nice, wide site. You'll be in the Keys at any rate, so enjoy!!

14. jdesiano1

Yeah Thats what I hope!!! We are taking my parents for their anniversary (they dont get to do much and have always wanted to go. ) I called her and asked her what was more important and she said beach access so i switched it for her. She was so excited when I invited them that I am sure we will have a blast.

15. aroberts

aroberts Member

We make our reservations for Bahia Honda every year at 8am 11 months in advance. So far so good. This year will be our 4th year in a row. I will have to check out Long Key while we are there this year. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Happy Camping!! [:D]

16. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Hope ya'll have a great time! We have our reservations in also! :)

17. 2jazzy

2jazzy New Member

Great info!

18. rjniles

rjniles Member

I am the original poster. Just got back from Long Key. While the park is very nice I will not go again. Reason: traffic noise. All the sites are 100-200 feet (at most) from the highway and the trucks run all night. Sleeping was tough. I will take Bahia Honda- Sandsur or Curry Hammock if I return.

19. cgpotts

cgpotts New Member

We were at long Key Last weekend, we are at Long Key for 6 nights the first week of May, we go to Long Key 7 or 8 times a year. It is our favorite place in the world. We have an 11 Saturn inflatable boat with a trolling motor that fits inside the pup when traveling. We spend hours in the boat with our toy poodle exploring the shoreline of Long Key.

The traffic noise has never been a problem for us. The showers and facilities have always been clean and the rangers more than helpful. We have been to Bahia Honda twice this year and I think the traffic noise is just about the same at both parks. The picture below is site 45 at Long Key. Usually you can catch a cancellation if you check Reserve America's website every 5 minutes the week before you want to go, but when you find it be logged in an ready to book it or it will be gone.

[​IMG]

PUP 2005 Fleetwood Colonial CP
    TV 2013 Dodge Journey