Florida State parks increase fees

Discussion in 'Florida' started by FC, Jun 19, 2009.

1. FC

FC Central Florida

Well I guess its better than closing them like some states. As of July 1st camping and day use fees will increase. The camping will increase by $4.00 per night. I am going to book up a few dates before July 1st. I just thought I would pass this along.

2. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

I have not looked at Reserve America yet to confirm this, but if a reservation is made for September of this year, is the rate the new increased rate, or the current rate?
    I probably won't be making any reservations as we don't plan that far in advance for short trips but I am glad they are not closing any.

3. jjkach

jjkach New Member

I've made all my reservations already, some 11 months in advance. We made our plans for this years camping trips last year. I guess they need to increase to along with gas and food prices increasing.

4. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

I also heard they were raising the rates this past weeks trip. I plan to drive out on Saturday and check lake kissimmee park and make reservations for our next trip. I have heard good things about the park on this site.

Sharon

5. Frances

Frances New Member

I still think our Florida state parks are FABULOUS and a great bargain, even if they go up $4 a night. Rather pay more than have them closed -- which is happening in some other states.

Now if we could just figure out a way to get rid of the mosquitos. We went to Hillsborough River SP over the weekend, and got eaten alive! I am still scratching. But it was a nice campground. Our loop had a nearly-new bath house.

6. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

I have yet to go to HSP. And its right up the road about 15 miles. So many places see, little time and money. One at a time, sooner or later. I will get there.

Sharon

7. Elliemae

Elliemae New Member

I guess I don't remember reading about the rates going up but it sounds about right. We go to quite a few State Parks because like you say, they are very nice. Most of the parks we go to are N. or central Florida mainly because we stay pretty close to home most of the time. But like you say..rather keep the parks open and not close them. I believe if you make your reservation before the increase you get the rate at the time of your reservation.

96 Jeep Cherokee
    98 Coachman [CP] [SUN]
    :)

8. turtle

turtle New Member

Let's see pay an extra $8.00 for a weekend of camping or stay at home every weekend??? I vote for the extra $8.00.

9. chiefjefe

chiefjefe New Member

Mosquitos: Get a Thermacell

10. Elliemae

Elliemae New Member

Yea, I see about the rates on the SP website now. If I can think of a date and a park that we want to go to before July 1st I'll make our reservations before then an save a little. I see one park that we like to go to is already reserved for the entire 11 months on some of the sites that we like. We like several good sites and they are already
    reserved as far in advance as you can go. Bit our SP are great. I loved all I've been in..

[PU]98Coachman
    [TV]96 Jeep Cherokee

11. Daduv3Boys

Daduv3Boys American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God!

Does anyone know about how the rate increase will affect us if we already have reservations? We have plans to go to Henderson Beach SP in Sept and made the reservations in May. Will we have to pay extra when we get there?

12. jjkach

jjkach New Member

I called RA and they told us that any reservations already made prior to July 1st are locked in and confirmed. We enjoy our state parks and don't mind paying a little extra to be able to go enjoy them for the weekends. We have so many to camp at. We have 2 thermacells we light at every campsite. As soon as we start dinner we light them, about 15ft apart to be able to sit in comfort. Not one bite... it is well worth it!

13. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

We to will gladly pay the extra 4.00 as we love our state parks and do not want to see them close as well. They just reopened rainbow springs state park to camping and we have been looking forward to that as we live less than 10 min away. However as it is full hookups it has gone to 30.00 a night so I am not sure how much we will be able to go now. We drove through the other day and it is beautifull but it is more than we want to spend.

14. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

We were thinking of going there when it opened, its a long drive for us. We have been to the springs one time, but never camped. $30 for one night is a bit much for us like every one else that on a strict budget.

I guess we will stick with our favorite place, and its only $12 a night , EG Simmons County park. And we can take our boat, and cruise the tampa bay.

Sharon

15. FC

FC Central Florida

Sharon how is EG Simmions? I hear alot about it. Is it a rowdy place?

Thanks for your time.

16. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

No, not rowdy at all, We have never had a problem with noise and such, there is always the possibility of some one staying up late, but its really a nice place,

We do love it, and its cheap, The park rangers drive thru like every other hour to make sure things are kept quiet. They give you a number for the lock at night so if you need to go to the store or Mc Donald's on the corner, you can leave and come back when you want.

The bathroom are really clean, They provide, dog pop bags. There is a park in the camp circle, and a big on one the beach.

The one thing I can tell you to make your weekend better is, as it on the bay and there are mangroves behind the pup as you park on the water. The chiggers or no see ums bother you if there is no strong wind, so what we do it, pull in, park the pup and first off, get a water hose and spray the ground with Triazicide, and it drys while putting the pup up and you want have a bug problem at all. They do allow it, as it helps with the bug problem for 2 months. We get it at walmart for $10. We can spray our lot and my brothers lot and still have some left. You really need to do this to have a nice weekend, We are out side the entire time, and others come and ask up how, we tell them, then you see more people out side. lol We also use thermocels, and tiki torches, and dont have any problems.

The beach part is okay, not the gulf but kids enjoy it, its only knee deep to an adult, so dont have to worry about little ones drownding. Make sure you bring fishing poles.

There is a bait shop down the road on Hwy 41, and on the way back stop at the ice box machine on the right side of the road, address is 405 Hwy 41. The guy sells it a 16 lb bag for $2 he sells about a 1000 a weekend.

Sharon

Check my webshots, purple camera, for pics of EG Simmons park. Also, Lots 34-42 are the shadiest, And hard to get.

17. FC

FC Central Florida

Thanks. Let me know if I can give you any info on any parks up this way.

18. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Your Welcome,

Where in central Florida are you? We are looking for other parks to go to, maybe, Lake Kissimmee. Never been there. its maybe an hour I think.

Sharon

19. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Lake Kissimmee is a nice park with spacious sites and the bathrooms are/were clean when we were there a few months ago.
    We went for a quick two night stay but it really wasn't a trip as we still had to drive the 9 year old back to school. Her choice. lol
    We did take her friend with us for the second night and we did a little hiking out there. Saw deer and turkey and had a great time.

Another member here, Cheifjefe went there a week or two befoe I did and enjoyed it as well. I believe it was his first outing in his new to him pup.

We will be going back there at some point as it is about 45 minutes to an hour from us as well.

It doesn't take long to get to the turn off at State Road 60, it takes another 25 minutes to get to the park entrance and then another 10 minutes to get to the camping area. The park is huge. [:D]

20. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Thanks, We live just off Hwy 60 so will take it all the way to the park. We keep wanting to take a drive there on the weekends to check it out, but some thing always get in the way. Today it was cleaning and reorganizing the sheds.

We might just have to book a date and go with it, lol.

Any suggestion on lot numbers , spots with trees. Can you take your boat, if so, where do you park it at night?

Sharon