Florida State parks increase fees

Discussion in 'Florida' started by FC, Jun 19, 2009.

1. FC

FC Central Florida

2. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Thanks for the reply,

We do love the beach and being near the water, and fish every chance we get, Camping is the added benefit for us. LOL!

We have been talking about going to a campground up in that area. I hear Tomoka is nice as well. I think I just need to start reserving and get to it.

We used to have lake trailer on Lake Panasoffkee at Pana vista lodge. We had it for 10 years but sold it 3 years ago when the lot rent got out of hand. But we were talking yesterday about going camping there real soon, we love the bass and pan fish, and speck season will be here before we know it.

Man, I have the need to wet line!
    "Good Things Come to Those Who Have Bait"

Sharon

3. FC

FC Central Florida

Same here we fish all the time. My 2 favorites are fishing and camping.

4. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Can't suggest a specific site number but I belive they are all shaded.
    You can bring your boat. If I remember correctly, there is an area for boats to be parked between the two site loops.

A Florida rally/get together would be great. I work Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday every week so depending on the days of the rally/get together we would be there for all or part of it. Would also be a good reason tto take a Sunday off if it's a Friday to Sunday thing. lol That always makes for a nice two day work week. [:D]

5. FC

FC Central Florida

Wizfisher-- I like the idea of a Florida rally. Lets get it started. You can IM or email me if you like. Where in central Florida are you?

6. Frances

Frances New Member

We would love to go to a Central Florida rally if it was on a weekend. (We both work -- really cramps our camping!)

7. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Between Tampa and Orlando, in Auburndale.

I think it should be after hurricane season and when it is cooler out. Maybe in October or November?

8. FC

FC Central Florida

I agree. Let start a new thread to get suggestions on when and where.

9. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

OH! I think I could arrange to attend, It would be my first Rally, I have no idea what that even is, lol.

Where is the new thread?

Oct or Nov would be awesome, my favorite time of the year in florida.

Sharon

10. zeebee3

zeebee3 New Member

Maybe if they use this money to invest in their own reservation system and not have to pay Reserve America (which I hate) it will be worth the money.

11. FC

FC Central Florida

I have had no problems with Reserve america. You just have to know how the system works. Let me know what your issues are. I would like to hear. Thanks for your time.

12. parrot_shack

parrot_shack New Member

Ok, first let me say I'm a Florida native and a lifelong Florida State Park user. I think our parks are beautiful and retain the look/history of old Florida. I have also lived long enough to pay my share of taxes. Although the fee increases may not seem like much, in some cases they were. Upwards of 60% at some parks. I work for local (county) government and after Amendment 1 passed (those in Florida will know what I'm talking about) we were expected to cut our budgets by 10%, which we did. In many cases laying off long term loyal employees whose programs were cut. The State of Florida is famous for requiring a plethora of unfunded mandates that local governments have to fund. So with that being said the state just raised fees instead of making the tough decisions that so many local governments had to. There are many parks that do not generate the visitors that warrant keeping them open. Mothball them and reopen when times are better. While the fees won't impact my family and the frequency we use the parks, I see many people that it will. Don't raise taxes and fees to make up for poor budgetary planning . I for one think we've been taxed enough. Sorry, but I've seen first hand how our state government passes the buck on tough decisions. I still love camping, and I still love America. Didn't mean to vent but I do feel better.

13. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

I haven't camped at any Florida state parks yet, And I do plan to. The small increase will be hard on my budget but I do plan to make it to a few.

I can now chime in on how this has affected me. Last night we drove about 30 miles to our favorite fishing place so we can fish all night. We go once a month. We have never known it was a state park till we arrived last night and every one in line was turning around at the gate. We thought it was full, its been known to happen.

We stayed in line and found out, that the Skyway fishing pier is a state park, and they raised the price. We usually pay $9 for 3 of us and the truck. Last night, we found out the state park increase has affected the pier as well. We ended up paying $17. I know that's only $8 but , that hurts when you have to pay the gas, and bait which also went from 2.50 a dozen to 4.50 a dozen for shrimp. We told the guy, man, I don't think we will be coming here any more, He said, Your not the only one to tell me this.

We get on the bridge and they had closed one side a few months ago. so its usually bumper to bumper, with usually no spots to park. Let me tell you, It was so empty. I have never see it like that, there was may be 1 car every 8 parking spaces.

And now we have to get a fishing license to fish on shore/bridge/pier as well as a license to fish on a boat and one for fresh and one for salt water. Jeez!

We also found out that our favorite camping place is EG Simmons. and they are a county park. They didn't raise the price but instead. let go of 4 of the park rangers and it will only be open 4 days a week now. There is a huge free boat ramp that lets in to the bay. A lot of boater will be disappointed. As well as the Week and Month long camper. No more of that.

What is this world coming to when you cant afford to enjoy the great out doors. And they wonder why some many people are depressed.

Sharon

14. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

You really only need two licenses. 1 for fresh and 1 for salt. Doesn't matter if you are fishing from a boat or not, only what type of fish you are targeting.
    You can be fishing a brackish river but if you are targeting bass, you need a fresh water license. If you are targeting snook, you need a salt water license. From land or boat.
    If you already have a salt water license since you fish on your boat, you do not need to get another license to fish from land.

That stinks that they raised the price to fish from the Skyway. I have only been fishing there once but we enjoyed it. I usually go near Desoto and wade the flats when I go out that way.

15. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Well, the guy that runs the gate on the skyway told us last night, that they are passing the bill that on Aug 1st. You now have to have a license to fish from land. That includes wading. So one for boat and one for land water. He did say, he thinks if your pay to fish on the bridge, your covered.

I've been looking and haven't found any thing on it yet. I asked at walmart sporting section, they said, they heard it was supposed to be Aug 1st, but they haven't got them in yet.

Have you heard any thing. I might have to check out around Desoto, thats not that far from the skyway.

Sharon

16. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

K, I found some thing,

Yep, its $7.50 for shore or $17.00 for both shore and boat for saltwater, Goes on sale July 15.

http://gulfcoastedirectory.com/wp-blog/?p=364

Sharon

17. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

It's the same if you already have a salt lic. the $17.00 license covers you for shore based fishing.
    If you only want to fish from shore, you can get the $7.50 one.
    I guess they will have some kind of $9.50 license so those that get the shore license can upgrade to the shore/boat license????

Charters and piers are still covered under their licensing in that their customers do not have to purchase licenses. (I think) [:D]

I get a saltwater license every year anyway so I hevn't really looked into it that much. I only know what I remembered reading on Floridafishandhunt.com.

Ft. Desoto area has a lot of good fishing.

18. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

I currently don't have a saltwater or fresh water license, I havent been in my boat in 3 years thanks to panic attacks. But Im going to get a license for both as I want to try going out again. we are planing a fishing camping trip for a week at our old lake place. So I will need a fresh water license for that as well, so Ive got to get back in the boat. Usually I stay on shore while Dh and kids go in the boat.

Thanks for the tips on Desoto. Its so beautiful out that way. I wish it didnt cost so much to camp out there.

I think its still funny, I never knew the Skyway was a State Park, lol.
    Sharon

19. jjkach

jjkach New Member

DH wants to take the kids fishing. We got to go see about the licenses for each one. Last time we were at Lake Kissimmee we saw lot of boats going out in the water. We can't wait to go back there again. We still need to try Ft. Desto, it seems like the sites go fast there! Has anyone camped at Rainbow Springs since they reopened?

20. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

You dont need a license for children under 16 so if they are 16 you do.

We keep saying we are going to drive to lake Kissimmee and check it out but we havent made it yet, its always one thing or another.

I have only been to rainbow springs one time, and we drove through I think what was the camp ground, It was just this big loop with white gravel, no trees. Spots really close together. I hope if that was it, its a lot nicer now, lol.

I think we are planning to do a week at our old lake place on Lake Panasoffkee. Maybe in Sept. Trying to get vacation scheduled first. And get some pan fish and bass before Speck season starts. Its not to far from Rainbow springs.

Sharon