Flush Toilet Into Portable Holding Tank

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by revance, Oct 1, 2015.

1. revance

revance New Member

While I am gutting out the '84 Starcraft I was given and restoring it, I was really hoping to add some type of toilet. We have 3 children (4, 6, and 8) and the 6 year old still has issues with wetting the bed. Having to shuttle the children to and from the nearest toilet late at night and at the break of dawn is no fun at all. Naturally they never all go at the same time either.

I would like to add an RV flush toilet. Has anyone ever set one of these up to dump directly into a portable waste tank? The regular waste tanks that mount under the camper are very expensive and I don't have much ground clearance under the camper.

You can get a much larger portable waste tank for the same price as a regular one and it could be stowed away somewhere for transport. If I rolled one of the portable ones under the camper so the hose goes straight down into it (or at least close to straight down) from the toilet, would waste flow through it alright? I am not proposing having the portable tank 20' off to the side or anything.

My main concern is that waste would get caught in the hose and that disconnecting it to dump might be a bit messy with this setup.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. gruss

gruss Active Member

Sounds like a lot of work and not really any advantage over a cassette type toilet?

There would be a lot of plumbing and hole cutting to add a regular flush toilet...then have to drag the waste tank to the dump station when the cassette can be flushed down the regular john.

Just my [2C]

3. revance

revance New Member

I agree, I would prefer a cassette toilet, but there are a couple problems with them.

• All the ones I have found are VERY expensive. >$600
    • They are all too big to fit in the spot I have available.
    • They all have the access to the cassette on the back, which won't work for me because where I am putting it, the fresh water storage tank will be behind it. So I would have to make it possible to pull the toilet out to access the back.
    • Assuming I didn't need to put the fresh water tank behind it, there would be the added cost of installing an access door in the side wall. Otherwise I would still have to make it possible to pull the toilet out to access the back.

The spot I have to put it in is only 16" wide, 25" deep, and 15" tall. If there were a cassette toilet that would fit and didn't cost $600, I would be all for it. I would even work around the issue of accessing the cassette.

That just leaves either a portable toilet with the little water squirter hand pump, which I really don't care for, or a regular RV flushing toilet.

I am already gutting the entire camper, so drilling some holes and running some plumbing isn't a big deal. I just wanted to avoid spending $150 on a tiny 8 gallon waste tank that might bottom out when I drive over the curb onto my driveway. I figured that for $100 you can get a rather large portable wastewater tank. It would also get me the benefit of being able to disconnect it and go dump it (like a cassette).

4. gruss

gruss Active Member

Would something like this work?
    http://www.amazon.com/Thetford-92360-Porta-Portable-Toilet/dp/B006WPQNB2

I'm definitely not a potty expert though, so not sure if it's a good one or not...looks like it would fit in that space for $150 though.

I can't tell you how many trips ours has saved me having to run to the bathroom with the now 6 year old, so I totally understand why you want something in there for your kids.

5. revance

revance New Member

I just thought of another solution...

I could make a wastewater tank out of some capped off 6" PVC pipe. Drill and tap the top for a small vent, reduce one end down and elbow it up to the toilet flange. I could even drill a large hole in the top and weld the fittings for the flange directly in the top so waste falls directly into the 6" pipe. It would probably be cheap enough that I could justify ALSO getting a portable tank for mid-trip dumping.

6. revance

revance New Member

That is a possibility... it appears to be basically one of the portable ones I mentioned, but it has an electric pump instead of a hand pump. I wonder if that would make it work better.

7. gruss

gruss Active Member

Easier for the little ones to flush for sure, also if they're anything like mine, they'll like to push the button and hear it whir a lot.

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

If a flush toilet is what you want, this idea has merit. 6" diameter, capped, with a reducing T right at the toilet to go up as a 4" pipe. Say 5' long. That's an approx 6.4 gallon reservoir. 8" PVC will get you about 11 gallons. But that might be too big. You may have to empty it often, but not more than once a night. You'll need an eccentric reducer to go from 6" to 4". Dump/flush fittings and valves are usually ABS, so you have to get some sort of adapter to go from the PVC ABS RV fittings. But that might very well be solved by using a Fernco coupling. I would think a 1" vent would be sufficient. Try pvcfittingsonline.com for any odd fittings you might not find at your local Home Depot.

10. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

FYI, I believe you will have issues at campgrounds that do not have a sewer connection. Most Health Departments and Environmental agencies will not allow campground owners to operate if toilet wastes go to portable tanks.

11. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

I had sort of the same idea, maybe even 2 pipes X' long connected together... How would you vent? PVC vent fitting and where? At the end of the pipe or would you need to run a hose to a higher location to avoid over flow?

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

As speckhunter says, you may run into issues with sanitary reg compliance. IIRC, there were several people here who were happy with this porta potti:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WPQNB2?keywords=thetford%20curve%20porta%20potti&qid=1443749103&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Truthfully, reinventing the wheel for a toilet isn't where I'd want to spend my time, especially given sanitary issues. With our pup (granted no kiddoes) we were happy with a gel bag system. If I couldn't use the gel bag system anymore (the one we use is well certified) and did not have access to the flush one in our TT, I'd substitute something like the Thetford or one of the others reported to work well.

13. revance

revance New Member

I have had luck in the past drilling and tapping PVC to make connections that aren't available without using a half dozen adapters. Since this is a non-pressure application, I can probably drill the side wall and weld a pipe up to the flange and one for a pressure valve.

The commercial holding tanks that cost $150 and up are only 8-10 gallons.

I will need to do some more looking at those porta-potties with the electric pump.

14. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Did you watch the video?? If you're going to toss those chemical bags, and they are approved for dumpster disposal. So, get a 5 gallon bucket, or more to stack for height. Go buy a Luggable Loo toilet seat. Get a box of bags.

If it's too tall during the day, simply remove a bucket or two, put towels over them and use them outdoors for little camp tables. [A] I always left the 'main bucket' inside! LOL

It's portable, small package to tote to the dumpster, easy to carry on the evening walk, the buckets can serve dual purpose, and the main bucket should fit in your area better than fine.

Cost: around $9-$20 depending on where you buy the seat/lid. Oh, and the chemical bags are EXCELLENT. Of course we only ever did #1! LOL

Also, check out the Dometic portable toilets. They, like the Thetfords, are a stacked system. When full, flip the locks, lift the top off, set on a towel, take the bottom to the bathroom and simply flush it down the toilet. If you only use it for #1, you can also go wash it out in the shower stall, or use a hose and flush it again.

Good luck!!

[:D]

15. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Get the 5 gal holding tank thetford flush toilet. Take base to camp toilets or dump station to empty. I am very happy w mine.
    [​IMG]