Fly Fishing Fishouts

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Jamie Ker, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Jamie Ker

Jamie Ker New Member

I am an avid Fly Fisherman, and living on Vancouver Island and BC have some great fisheries close at hand. I am also the member of a local group that has a number of fish outs every year, and one of the reasons I picked up the tent trailer other than family vacations was that a few of our Fish outs are in Colder and or Wetter months and was not as enjoyable in a tent. Will be nice to have a little more room as well as have the furnace and be able to warm up and dry out some gear like the waders and wading jacket.

I also enjoy outdoor cooking and usually come up with something good and creative for the guys such as Paella over the fire or Smoked Chickens on the 22" Weber.

Anyone else use their Trailers for Fish outs or Fish Camps etc. My groups next big fish out will be in late September where we will be Fly Fishing for Coho's of the Beaches of Vancouver Island.

2. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Love fly fishing, even out of a kayak...Camp quite a bid in fishable areas...
    Cooking...Dutch Ovens the only way to go...

Jamie Ker likes this.
  3. PATMD

PATMD SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

Fishing is so much fun and relaxing. I let work rule my life and have not fly fished in over 35 years. A lot has changed so I am taking lessons starting this weekend. I hope to get back into it much more now that I've retired. I hope I will meet other fishermen so I can learn about where to go locally, then eventually hope to maybe go to Montana and other nearby states to catch salmon, steelhead and other fish. Camping and fishing groups are what I want to get into. Can't wait!

Jamie Ker likes this.
  4. Jamie Ker

Jamie Ker New Member

Best way to get back into fly fishing is to find a club or group. Lessons are a great idea, to get your casting back. Clubs and groups always have someone willing to help the new guys out with tips or to show them a few spots etc.

5. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

We use the A-frame as a base camp for various hunting, fishing and competitive shooting events, as well as for periods of "creative loafing". Recently spent four days on the Taylor River and side streams N of Gunnison, CO. Main stem running very high, I backed off from wading several places I have fished in the past. Had fun dibble fishing for 6-7" brookies in side streams. Any small bright fly will catch brookies.

One afternoon I got distracted- watched a bear and two cubs on the hillside across the stream. Cubs would graze a bit, then wrestle each other. Momma put her head up frequently to look around. When the breeze shifted I think she scented me as she and the cubs moved into the brush.

I keep a very basic fishing set up in the trailer at all times. Four piece pack rod, fly reel with line and end stuff, a spinning reel with 4 or 6lb line, small tackle box. 2016 elk hunt was over by 2:00 pm on first day, so went fishing until partner shot a cow too d!#$ far from the jeep road.

Jamie Ker likes this.
  6. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Fishing, hunting and readily deployable, mobile gear storage are the top reasons I own one! The gents at the local Rod and Gun Club are slightly envious that my MPG in transport is better that than what they see pulling/hauling a full size RV too.

Jamie Ker likes this.
  7. petefuller

petefuller New Member

i have a large pvc pipe with a threaded end cap on the roof racks of the PUP that holds a cheapo rod/reel combo all strung up and ready in two minutes or less.

Apparently pulling out a rod to test the waters before setting up camp is a party foul. And I cant get a beer out of the fridge till the roof gets cranked up anyway so she may be right.....

8. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Fishing kayak (Native Slayer Propel) is pulled up on the shore at my waterfront site at a PA State Park right now.

Edit a few hours later:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    PATMD likes this.
  9. Jamie Ker

Jamie Ker New Member

I am getting the Pop Up ready for my annual Coho Fishout with my group for this weekend. Soiunds like we have about 20 people coming this year, so is going to be a great time. Will be the first time out in the Pop Up in Cooler weather and possibly rain, so looking forward to how it performs.

10. PATMD

PATMD SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

Sounds like fun! Hope you catch a bunch!

11. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Right On! Good luck...(Insert envious emoticon here)