Fly Fishing New Mexico......suggustions?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by NeedtoRoam, Mar 21, 2014.

1. NeedtoRoam

NeedtoRoam Colorfull Colorado

I usually camp to fly fish, (catch and release) looking for places (rivers) in New Mexico to explore where I'm the only person on the river. We're set up for boondocking....no worries there. Looking for early season mid-April to mid-May. It would be nice to have a town within 20 miles or so for the wife (likes antique stores) since she does not fish, but loves to go. I grew up in Santa Fe but never fished anything except lakes and that was 40 years ago. Any help would be appreciated.
    Fred

2. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Mills canyon has great FF and Roy is 13 miles away.
    I will caution you though, you need a high clearance type vehicle. I have seen many sedans there but not towing a pup.
    Here is a couple pics.
    Canadian River behind DW and I.
    [​IMG]
    Pic of the road. We are coming out of the canyon.
    [​IMG]

3. Djo

Djo Member

If you are in New Mexico then you have to fish the San Juan River. The first half a dozen miles below the dam is one of the most famous tail waters in the country. Huge rainbows caught on tiny midges. My personal best was a 27" bow on a size 24 thread midge. You will not be alone but it is a big river with lots of water.
    David

4. tsimpler

tsimpler New Member

Where is mills canyon?

5. bearman512

My secret!!! LOL [LOL]

Near Roy NM. There is a lot of history there. Look up Harding County NM and you can read about the old hotel and ranch that were in the canyon before the big flood wiped it out.

6. NeedtoRoam

Thanks bearman512, I had a thought you would reply to this post. This area looks very interesting and the perfect boondocking area, I could be the only one on the river!!!! I'm thinking I could get water somewhere in Roy before heading to the area. Wondering about getting into the area with our pup (19' closed), I have flipped the axel and I do have a great 4 wheel drive TV, just wondering about clearance you mentioned.

Gjo, where's the dam on the San Juan? What part of NM is it? A 27" Bow is a very nice catch, good job!! Did you catch it with a fly?

7. bearman512

NeedtoRoam, there is water available in Springer at one of the gas stations which is best for you and you or in Roy but that is 12 miles south of the turn off for you.
    You won't have a problem with the pup. There is one spot just below the picture on my first post that you will have to swing wide on but other than that no problem unless you don't let me know when you are going so we can join you. [:D]

8. NeedtoRoam

Bearman512, thanks for the info on where to get water. I would take you up on your offer to join us. Doing boondocking in an area unknown is always a challenge. I will send you a PM.
    Fred & Ida

9. Djo

Djo Member

The San Juan river in NW New Mexico is dammed to form the Navaho reservoir. Below the dam (known as Navajo dam) is the town of Navajo Dam. The San Juan below the dam is one of the most famous tail water fisheries in the country. The first mile or so is catch and release and below it there is a minimum size of maybe 20" . The fish grow huge on tiny midge ( often size 20 or smaller) and aquatic worms. You may have heard of the fly called the San Juan worm. Although the fishery has suffered from drought in recent year, it still provides year round trout fishing with fish averting 16 to 18 inches. Fishing is effectively limited to fly fishing because of the tiny insects the trout eat. I hoe to get back there in November as it has been years since I fished it.
    David

10. woodsman1st

woodsman1st An outdoorsman of 78 years no exp w/ pop up trlrs

I love to camp out while fishing; (CATCH EM AN GREASE EM). With a little luck this summer I'll drive up to Idaho where my son lives, and I did as well until the cold winters drove my 79 year old arthritic knees down to Arizona; where there far too many people now. It ain't like it was when I raised my four children here. God I miss the Arizona of the 1960s and 70s; and now I'm missing the Idaho of today. It sucks getting old except for the fact that I'm still here fishing and whining about the good old days. lol Problem is I'm not wealthy enough to be a full time Snow Bird. Well as long as i can still drown make believe crawly critters on the end of a Fly Rod, and there aren't too many people around me I'll be content.
    I'm going to try to set up one end of my pup into a fly tying station; anyone done this and have suggestions?
    Tight lines and stay safe;
    Ken