Foam tiles under mattress is a bad practice?

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by AndreD, Apr 10, 2021.

1. AndreD

AndreD Member

I was reading that you should never put anything under the mattress as the board material needs to breathe and that foam tiles hinder the ability for moisture to pass properly (similar to why we should never coat the bunk end wood with anything). Is this true?

I live in Canada and will be getting a brand new 2021 rockwood 1940ltd and intend to do fall camping (which for us is most of your winters lol) but don’t want to wreck things. I’m coming from tent camping so I’m used to bringing heavy sleeping bags and insulated pads.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Lots use them, i cant see the harm unless you get it wet. Yes. Foam pads will retain moisture underneath, but probably not much unless you wet it. The bunk end wood is usally pre treated with something allready. A lot of the older mattresses were covered with vinyl allready, probably does the same thing.

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have reflectix under the mattress in our rear bed slide out, no issues yet..

Btw welcome to the Portal from North Bay,Ontario.

Yes done fall camping in snow, sleet, even had freezing rain part of 1 weekend..

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have foam tiles under mine, no problems yet.

5. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I also have foam camping pads under my mattress and it makes a world of difference when I’m sleeping on my side. I’ve used them since day one and have had no problems. I have a 2000 Rockwood Freedom 1940