Fold n Roll Comes Home

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by Toedtoes, May 28, 2018.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I have had my 1975 American Clipper motorhome for several years now and I love it. But I have been thinking that a trailer would be better for "sightseeing travel" as I could use the tow vehicle for day trips. Been looking at various small trailers over the past couple years, but none really excite me and they don't have a layout I really like. Then I found this:

1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll folding trailer. Made by Irv Perch (father of the aristocrat trailers and American Clipper motorhomes) in Morgan Hill, California. Very hard to find these days.

It is a 12ft box, has 2 double beds, short couch that converts to short bed, 2 burner stove, sink, wet bath with cassette toilet, 10 windows (all but one open), hard sides, hydraulic roof lift, electric jack, "no load" hitch system, more countertop then my 21ft clipper, 2700lbs.

To open, you flip the switch and the top raises. Walk inside and push the two side walls up (they have strong magnets to hold in place), unfold wall for bath and latch, unfold opposite wall and latch, and you're done. Both beds can stay made up when in travel position. Fair amount of storage. Easily towed with my durango.

The dogs love it as much as their motorhome. Moose-dog likes that he can get on the bed without help. They can lay on either bed and watch me while I cook and piddle around and not get in my way. And they love the side windows in the bottom bed so they can see out. There's even room for the parrot and his cage.

Attached Files:

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Cool! Can you stand up in it?

3. Toedtoes

Yep! I'll have to measure it today for the interior height. Will also get video of the set up and take down.

neighbormike and Orchid like this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Nice looking unit. Should work just fine and remain dry in inclement weather. Looks like the dogs have already claimed their spot :). You are correct in thinking it will be s better choice for camping, I too have a large (31 ft) motorhome but my little TT has everything we need including a lot better gas mileage using the F150 pus after unhooking I have the Pickup to investigate the area.
    Hope you have many great adventures in the Fold and Roll in the future.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping

5. Toedtoes

Thanks. There was a leak below the front tilted window, but the prior owner pulled the window and rebuilt the section below. The roof is fiberglass with rolled edges so the only potential leak there is the ac unit.

Setting up in the rain might allow a bit of rain inside as I'm putting the sides in place, but that's about 30 seconds.

The dogs love RVs. They have to check out my friend's every time she meets up with us. :). Yeah, the Durango is much easier for day trips sightseeing than is the clipper. I can do it in the clipper, but big cities would be difficult. Once I'm retired, I'd like to do more of that type of travel so this is just right. In the meabtime, I have to go camping twice as much to get both used regularly. :)

6. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

And it easily parks in the driveway. I wanted a TT too, but then once I started looking at the advantages of a PUP, I'm glad I never had the money to buy one. TT's are intimidating by the size alone and that doesn't include trying to pull it and it would take up the whole driveway or backyard. Once I get my PUP where I can close it up, it will easily park in my driveway.

7. Toedtoes

I had a 20ft TT before the clipper. It was old and falling apart (lost the black drain valve and connections on the way home once - glad I hadn't used the toilet in it). I didn't mind the towing much, that intimidation goes away pretty quickly. There are pros and cons to every type.

The motorhome is so easy to just get up and go. No hitching, no moving things around, just climb in and go. But it doesn't really work for sightseeing trips or city trips.

The hard sided TT is good for sightseeing because you can drop it and use the tow vehicle. But, to get a dedicated bed that doesn't "overwhelm" the inside, you have to go at least 20ft and that means a large truck to tow it with.

The popups are more work. The drying out the canvas ends, not being able to store everything inside it, having to do setup in order to go to sleep.

I had been really considering the hybrids, but like having hard walls - just gives a perception of "safer" that relaxes my brain at night as a solo camper.

This folding trailer is a really great mix of them all. Lightweight and easily towed like a popup, more floorspace for the size like a hybrid or my clipper, hard walls like a hard-sided or motorhome, and easily stores all my gear without a lot of moving things around.

I do have to get accustomed to making sure I have everything before folding it down - the clipper has me spoiled there. But with a 30-40 second setup time, it's not a big deal.

8. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

The thought of camping in a PUP use to scare me, but then I had to remember that I even wanted to camp in a tent years ago, so the PUP is an upgrade. After being in and out of it so much, I feel very comfortable in it and when the windows are open, it feels like a sun porch.

9. Toedtoes

I never really liked tent camping. Preferred sleeping in the truck bed with the shell. I did tent camp but even with others right there, I never slept well at night. And I was never sure if a vampire needed permission to enter a tent or if it could just rip it off and get me. [::)]

Plus with the dogs, I like having that solid wall between them and the critters. Bat-dog would drive me crazy in a tent with her beagle nose. She'd smell the s'mores 10 campsites up and go thieving while I slept.

PointyCamper and neighbormike like this.
  10. Orchid

I've never been concerned about sleeping in a pup. I suppose that's because I'm 54 and have been camping regularly my entire life, most of it tent camping. I've never been afraid, not once. I have a hard time sleeping in non-canvas walls because I can't hear what's outside.

We had a hard sided Apache Royal at one time, but no a/c so sold it when we moved to Florida. I wouldn't call it any safer at all, as the wall panels would be easy enough to break through. As far as safety goes, there is no RV on the market (other than those custom tankish rovers) that will keep anyone out. A Class A does have an advantage when it comes to bear, but not humans.

I've already come to the conclusion that the perfect camper for us doesn't exist. It would be nice to be able to take the dogs when we go to the beach, in that case we would need hard walls since they would have to stay in the camper. But that would leave me sleeping in hard walls, which I have found out I don't care for. A hybrid would mean putting the beds up while we were away from the dogs.

We need two campers. LOL We also need someone else to two them for us and set them up and break them down.

11. Toedtoes

It's not fear as much as that I hear every noise and wake up all night long. And on the chance I don't hear it, the dogs will and tell me all about it. Just a light sleeper.

Orchid likes this.
  12. Orchid

I'm a super light sleeper and insomniac every since I was a child. I do take rx sleep meds that help me sleep, but always sleep better when camping. I think much of that is due to my memories of all the good times camping growing up. Even with the meds, I am a very light sleeper at home. Outdoor noises are like a lullaby for me. I will wake up easily if anyone in the camper gets up, though.

This fold and roll camper meets most of "perfect camper" list. Unfortunately, they are few and far between. I already checked. [LOL]

Toedtoes likes this.
  13. Toedtoes

Yes they are, but keep watching. I never expected to find one and then there it was. The owner got remarried - new wife didn't want anything around from his prior marriage. So FnR came home with me.

Any sound wakes me up but I have adjusted to the birds in my yard. Move me to another location with the same sounds and I'm up. After the first night, I'm better and don't wake up as often, but enough that it affects me the following day. Also have to be cool to cold to sleep - no hot weather camping, I'm in the mountains with the windows open getting that cold breeze.

14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

There is nothing wrong with twice as much camping, I wish I had the time but farming is pretty much a 24 / 7 thing. Isn't exactly what I had in mind the 3 rd time I retired but due to the farm I still haven't retired at age 75.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  15. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

I'm worried about my dog and cat. I think the dog will be okay, but cats can scratch on the screen.

Cows and horses always have to be fed and unless there's somebody to do it while you're gone, you can't go anywhere.

16. Toedtoes

If th
    i measured it and it is 77 inches floor to ceiling. The AC unit drops 2 inches down from that, so 75 inches.

Orchid likes this.
  17. Toedtoes

A friend came over and we checked her fridge and my FnR fridge on propane. Hers works fine - yeah! Now she just has to replace the thermocouple in the oven. With mine, it's just the piezzo lighter that doesn't work. So I can light it manually (which I have to do with the clipper) so no problem. :)

Toilet looks like there is a clog in the hose that goes to the bowl. That will be an easy fix when my hand is healed.