Folding Wagons - recommendations?

Janel Gleeson

May 3, 2021
Pennsylvania
Putting in a vote for the MAC Sports one linked in other replies. I just upgraded to this from a Dicks store-brand pull wagon and I LOVE the push bar feature so I can throw my kids in there to get around outdoor venues or events like campgrounds or car shows or flea markets (they're 5 and 3). We've had this one on road, gravel, and uneven grass with no issues. It is heavy on its own, but folds into a nice rectangle for storage in the trunk of the car.

DebbieS

Aug 28, 2020
We bought this Mac one on Amazon . It's not the push-pull, but it works. If I were carrying a smaller heavy thing, I would want a piece of plywood to put on the bed of the wagon. it does fold up small. I had no trouble controlling it on a paved hill.

G.P.

Jun 5, 2021

IndyRick

Mar 7, 2019
Indianapolis, IN
Here are a couple of possibilities that I don't think have been mentioned yet. I use a water bladder in the back of my suv:
Screenshot_20220506-104926_Chrome.jpg
While I don't use it for hauling water, I do use a game cart to haul my camera gear. The wheels are removable.
Screenshot_20220506-105044_Chrome.jpg

Mark CASTELLANI

Platinum Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2019
New York State, Erie County
I'm on the side of the folding dolly... we've had it for years... literally... hauls water jugs, firewood, 20 & 30 # propane tanks, old school 100 watt solar panels... what I like about it is, unlike a wagon, I don't have to lift stuff INTO a wagon, (2 back surgeries)... just slide it on the tongue ...

got two, actually, ...keep one in each car when we're not camping... great for bringing in 40# boxes of kitty litter from the car to the back door, etc

probably $30.00 @ Harbor Freight... they're still going strong

Happy Trails!

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
@Susan Premo - a lot of the Sisters on the Fly do fly fish. The origin of the name is that it was founded by two sisters who like to fly fish, and began inviting other ladies along on camping trips. It has grown a lot, and is a great experience for so many women. Not all women are comfortable setting out solo, and we all encourage each other. Being in a group is good too, if something happens, I've known of a couple of incidents where someone got injured or ill at an event. The others took care of rig, getting the gal to the hospital, or whatever.
I don't fish, but it's OK. We often teach each other, in classes or less formally, about all sorts of things. I did a class on a quilt piecing technique at one event. I will demonstrate my stove top ovens at the next one. I had a bunch of ladies gathered around as I used my rattle siphon to fill someone's fresh water tank.

swanndog

Jul 3, 2014
We just returned from a camping trip to a music festival where we were "dry camping". We brought our kids 30+ year old Radio Flyer wagon to transport water in, but it is on its last "legs" - rusty, rickety etc. We have decided we will finally shop around for a folding wagon to haul our 5 gal water containers, and other more general uses.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good folding wagon? We are looking to be able to carry at least 100lb or payload, and would like it to steer easily, low center of gravity, and be stable (wide axle width?) over non-level ground encountered when camping. I have seen many in passing, and most don't impress me as meeting the above specs.

Please send both positive and negative feedback. I need to know what to look for as well as what to avoid!!!

Thanks,
kevin

View attachment 83378
yes we were in the pop-up at the top of the hill at SF. the 2 closest water hydrants were non-functional (they NEED to fix that!) so we had to haul water from down the road a bit. :)
It was a great Merlefest, our 4th, but camping with friends who have gone 20+ years.
perhaps we can meet at SF next time around! We have a campfire every night.
kevin
yes we were in the pop-up at the top of the hill at SF. the 2 closest water hydrants were non-functional (they NEED to fix that!) so we had to haul water from down the road a bit. :)
It was a great Merlefest, our 4th, but camping with friends who have gone 20+ years.
perhaps we can meet at SF next time around! We have a campfire every night.
kevin
We just returned from a camping trip to a music festival where we were "dry camping". We brought our kids 30+ year old Radio Flyer wagon to transport water in, but it is on its last "legs" - rusty, rickety etc. We have decided we will finally shop around for a folding wagon to haul our 5 gal water containers, and other more general uses.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good folding wagon? We are looking to be able to carry at least 100lb or payload, and would like it to steer easily, low center of gravity, and be stable (wide axle width?) over non-level ground encountered when camping. I have seen many in passing, and most don't impress me as meeting the above specs.

Please send both positive and negative feedback. I need to know what to look for as well as what to avoid!!!

Thanks,
kevin

View attachment 83378

Attachments

• BFA2F139-821F-4481-B073-C654776572C8.png
    BFA2F139-821F-4481-B073-C654776572C8.png
    434.5 KB · Views: 4

Steveo4090

Super Active Member
Jun 26, 2020
Lancaster PA
I am giving this idea a very hard consideration:
Glenn
You can buy that type of inflatable wheel and retrofit an existing cart (or cooler) as well. They come in quite a few sizes, but aren't cheap. Really for that price, you're buying the wheels and they're giving you the cart.

Also, while they're incredible on sand, they wear out rather quickly if you're on black top or cement much.

Jul 20, 2014
We recently purchased a folding handtruck at Harbor Freight Tools to haul the 5-gallon water jugs through the house for the water cooler, and really like it. It's rated for 140 pounds and folds very flat for storage. The wheels are bigger than wagon wheels and find it very helpful.

Now, you've got me thinking I should take it camping!

The truck was under $50, but you can find them all over for various prices.

ChocoChock01

On the road aagaain See Rallies below;
Mar 7, 2012

Thanks,
kevin

View attachment 83378
I've been looking at these:

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014

Thanks,
kevin

View attachment 83378

I have this one:

Ozark Trail Camping All-Terrain Wagon

It folds up small enough that it fits under my dinette with the table down, when the trailer is all packed up, with a sleeping bag or two beside it under the table.

It holds up to 225 pounds. It has "oversized" (wider than you might expect) wheels so that it rolls well over gravel and dirt. It steers easily, and the handle length is adjustable.

I used it just this past weekend for the following:

• Transporting three six-gallon water jugs, filled. That's about 145 pounds.
  • Pulling my Camp Chef 2-burner stove, griddle, and grill attachments.
  • Toting a full propane cylinder and some food.
  • Carrying my 10x10 straight leg canopy.
We were camped at Zion, and our campground had rock bed over dirt roads.

I've used it for a couple of years for similar duties, and it has always performed just fine.

They sell for about $87.

Latest posts