Folks that have pups and tt for sale and don't tell you the whole truth and nothing but the truth

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Backtonature, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Backtonature

Backtonature Active Member

Just saying...If I would have know the hidden issues with our NTU pup? (maybe the po didn't know..however I will never know the answer to that). I would NOT HAVE PURCHASED IT!. I do take part of the blame by not doing my due diligence on my inspection, however I'm moving forward and one day my wife will get her first camping trip ever

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok so ill bite whats wrong, and we will help to fix it. It will be ok , just cost lots of $$$. I hope its cheaper then that.

3. Sjm9911

Nm, the roof leak, ots a pita to fix but should just be time and a little $

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Anything that I buy I have to research and inspect. 50 years in the auto business I have seen some dumb customers and some sleazeball salespeople and technicians. Sometimes both are the blame.
    For years I worked at a great place, we had a sign on the wall ....... "Pride is doing a good job when no-one is watching"

5. Backtonature

Thanks I do appreciate the help on this forum
    I have repaired the roof leak and the test of my repair was 2-4” of heavy rains the last 2days.. and no leaks
    The other issues I will fix also tomorrow
    Again I’m just saying/ venting so to speak

Stephers0307 likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

I know that after seeing the pther posts and its ok. Best test is a hose. Now you have a bit of pressure and can direct the rain so to speak. And turn it off if the repair didnt work. You will be good. Best part of a fix is you now have blood and sweat invested in it
    It makes tou that much prouder no matter how big the rv next to you is[:D]

Backtonature and neighbormike like this.
  7. Backtonature

I believe in what that sign reads
    and thanks for your input

8. Backtonature

Maybe I was a bit hasty in creating this topic, however that was the way I felt at that very moment I created this topic, so I created it!
    I wasn't searching for attention just venting.

This thread can be deleted if by the mods if they want to do so.

Thanks!

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

@Backtonature
    I totally agree with you on there should be more honest sales people, sellers, repair techs. Gosh darn more honest everything. I work in the accounting field and I can't believe the amount of fraud checks that are presented. It's sad, sick, and just darn disheartening that people feel the need to lie and cheat people out of money. As such I'm very cautious when I need to spend money on anything and do an emmence amount of research on everything.
    Even though I looked all over my popup and searched in and out/up and down I did miss the fact my drums were rust buckets when I bought it. Yeah another fact from a list of other signs,I knew the seller lied that the camper was garaged indoors. In my case I still would have bought it, but would have offered a bit less for the cost of repairs. Scary thing is, the seller knew I was driving the camper 8 hours away yet didn't say anything. Darn thing even had an up to date inspection sticker. Don't know how an inspection shop approved the camper. I was dang lucky I managed to make it safely to my destination.

Good luck with your repairs. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy a good camping trip soon.

FARfetched, Sjm9911 and Backtonature like this.
  10. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

You've sealed the roof. If the floor doesn't have any bad spots, and the canvas has no unintended holes, the rest is cleanup.

If you're not getting the rain we're getting up here in Sector 706, head south and get some camping in! :D

11. Backtonature

Floor has no soft spots and it looks like new underneath, so I’m lucky there

We have been getting hit with severe weather all across South GA, heck I’m having a hard time just getting homes out of the ground because of the flooding and heavy rains for almost 3 weeks now.

the wife and I will get to a campground at some point

12. Backtonature

Canvas is in great shape...just a few stitching areas need waxed.

13. James Rucker

James Rucker Active Member

Stitching needs waxed. Is that another maintenance item that should be done every year?
    Sorry, was perusing and thought I'd ask. Thanks

14. Sjm9911

Only of its leaking, people use wax or another type of seam sealer.

Backtonature likes this.
  15. James Rucker

James Rucker Active Member

Ok. No leaks yet and want to keep that way. I'll file that piece of info away, just in case. Thank you.

16. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I was so lucky when I bought my first pup camper. I did some research and even went to the L.A. area to look at one for sale. I could tell just by the smell inside and the fact that the tires had lots of cracks in them that it was a no go for me. The owner kept lowing the price as we talked. After I left and was 20 miles down the road he called me on the phone and offered to buy new tires for it. I just kept driving. I ended up buying another one off of Facebook Market Place. That was almost 3 years ago. To date I have not had to repair anything on it but one corroded fuse connector. I have done routine service and some modifications to make it better, but no actual repairs.

On the other hand, my cousin who is one of the sharpest mechanical people I know, decided to buy a pup similar to mine. He knew nothing about them at the time. PO said it was in good shape and everything worked. So he bought it on the spot. He is now, one year later, an expert on replacing refrigerators, replaced water damaged wood, replacing corroded wiring, restitching awnings, and replacing parts in the whiffletree lift system. And he has yet to take the camper out on the maiden voyage. So it happens to the best of us at one time or another. The good news is that everything is repairable.

James Rucker and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

It cuts both ways. I've sold most of the campers we've owned by advertising & selling privately and have always been 100% truthful about what I was selling & why - yet I've still suffered a grilling from some buyers, some of who clearly had no idea what they were talking about. [:(O] It's such a PITA that a couple of times I was so fed up I just traded in at the dealer I was buying from. [V]

18. Melissa Freeman

Melissa Freeman New Member

I can really relate to you We should've done A LOT more research! We took it on an 8 week trip and our door blew off when we were camping in KansasThe roof leaked and was rotting the wood, bad zippers, the list goes on! And we also left our crank in Memphis! It's funny now. Not so much then. It was actually cheaper for us to buy another one. We gave the 1st one to our oldest son and he fixed it up nice. I refer to that trip as a refresher course on adapting and overcoming.

Grandpa Don likes this.
  19. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

It is totally up to the potential buyer to inspect what they are buying...The days of good ol honesty and a handshake are long gone...With pop ups any seller who isnt willing to demonstrate everything works is probably someone you need to walk away from...If your new to the game find someone with experience to go along with you.

James Rucker and Backtonature like this.
  20. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

I figured ours would need some repairs and refurbishing given its age and history. New battery electrical connections, new wheel bearings, new water pump, original battery that needs replacement, and the bubble windows need to be resealed. But the rest is in good shape, and the price was much lower than similar ones. These items don't break the bank, and the Mrs was told to expect a bit of a project.

Backtonature and Econ like this.