For those campers who log their trips and site numbers :)

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
I've worked in technology for more than 25 years so I'm certainly not anti-tech, but I absolutely loathe GPS. Every time I use GPS it either takes me down some alley or dirt road or way out of the way.

I keep a few maps around but if we're headed for an unfamiliar area, I'll check out Google maps and plan my own routes. I sometimes make a print out or save it on my phone if I think I'll need it later. But despite DW's comments to the contrary, my memory is still pretty good so I don't need to do that very often.

I also have no problem turning up some unfamiliar road to see where it takes us, but that's a discussion for another day.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
I was surprised how little cell coverage there was in Door County, WI... at least with T-Mobile. Their availability map shows decent coverage, but that wasn't my experience. I'd say 90% of the time we didn't have any usable data coverage, even in the "towns" (anywhere north of Sturgeon Bay). Occasionally I'd get a text or other message, but when I'd go to reply service would already be gone.

This surprised me as this isn't exactly backwoods, and they have a lot of tourists come in each season.

Zephyr

Jun 18, 2013
central Oregon
I read somewhere that if there is cell coverage anywhere in a county, the cell company can mark the entire county on their coverage map. Oregon has counties larger than some states. There may be cell coverage in one town in the county. We still carry paper maps.

hayyward

Silver Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2006
Packerland
We still keep maps and atlases in the car as a plan B.
I use a gazetteer for navigation. Where we go adventuring does not have a reliable cell or satellite signal so Google maps and GPS are unreliable at best. The gazetteer shows topography (to a point) and also the backroads. We've never not found our way back to camp!

Campeador

May 22, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
I use a gazetteer for navigation. Where we go adventuring does not have a reliable cell or satellite signal so Google maps and GPS are unreliable at best. The gazetteer shows topography (to a point) and also the backroads. We've never not found our way back to camp!
I hesitated to give you a like because, as a lifelong Vikings fan, "Packerland" as your location gives me the shivers, haha.

I use (read: obsessively study/ dream over while stuck in the hot TX plains of the Metromess) National Geographic Trails Illustrated Topo maps of Northern NM and Southern CO to choose where to camp. I like CG's with hiking / biking that allow me and my dog to hit the trail at the crack of dawn without having to drive to a trailhead, preferably.

Last edited:

tuna helper

Jun 30, 2015
I dont know if I still have it (my wife likes to throw away "useless" stuff) but some time ago I found a notebook my granddad used to log mileage, gas stops, amount purchased a d gas price. I dont think he was pulling his camper then.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I dont know if I still have it (my wife likes to throw away "useless" stuff) but some time ago I found a notebook my granddad used to log mileage, gas stops, amount purchased a d gas price. I dont think he was pulling his camper then.
I ran across one of my dad’s gas books a while ago. It was probably in a tool box or something, he’s been gone since 1977.
I followed suit, and turned out Courtenay did the same before I met him. These days, we use spiral bound index card books, they hold up better. Every gas fill is noted, along with maintenance, last week a new battery for the truck, etc.
we keep one for the trailer that records our towing mileage, it is restarted when we buy new tires

hayyward

Silver Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2006
Packerland
I hesitated to give you a like because, as a lifelong Vikings fan, "Packerland" as your location gives me the shivers, haha.

I use (read: obsessively study/ dream over while stuck in the hot TX plains of the Metromess) National Geographic Trails Illustrated Topo maps of Northern NM and Southern CO to choose where to camp. I like CG's with hiking / biking that allow me and my dog to hit the trail at the crack of dawn without having to drive to a trailhead, preferably.
The Superior Hiking Trail is for you! There are several campgrounds just off the trail.

I have a very healthy rivalry with all things purple. The Vikes should be interesting to watch this year with their all-new management. Reminds me of my first car. A mechanic friend said the best thing to do is to jack up the radiator cap and drive a new car under it. lol ;)

Happy Camping!

JunieB

May 8, 2018
Central Florida
What a great idea to keep a log! Even just a spiral notebook, fill it out over morning coffee. Can’t count the # of times have stayed in a site where I thought gee that was a good one, then promptly forgot the site #.

Campeador

May 22, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
The Superior Hiking Trail is for you! There are several campgrounds just off the trail.

I have a very healthy rivalry with all things purple. The Vikes should be interesting to watch this year with their all-new management. Reminds me of my first car. A mechanic friend said the best thing to do is to jack up the radiator cap and drive a new car under it. lol ;)

Happy Camping!
I know the "north shore" of Superior very, very well and absolutely love it. Hiking along those rivers, staring at the waterfalls, skipping rocks across the big lake... that was my childhood. I miss that area dearly. My Vikings' fandom is a double-edged sword. Love it and hate it, and it often feels like a condemnation that I must bear on my shoulders, haha. And boy do we hate Aaron Rodgers. It's the time of year to be hopeful, but come December I'm sure I'll be Charlie Brown ready to have Lucy pull the ball out as I kick once again.
Enjoy the fall up there!

Wakita46

Mar 15, 2013
I guess it depends on the GPS. I've used the satellite navigation in my Toyota Highlander in all the lower 48 states and from British Columbia to Labrador and not had a problem. Cell coverage was missing in some of those parts. That is not to say that the GPS sent me the efficient way all the time. I now have a Subaru Outback and the satellite navigation is not as good as that on the Highlander. It has steered my wrong quite a few times.

KeizerTrailer

Aug 31, 2020
Keizer, OR
Since we started camping in our PUP, I recently got camping log for my DW's birthday. She absolutely loves it, I must say, I do too. Helps take notes on the sites; good/bad, cardinal direction of how the door side of the PUP was oriented, etc. Great way to help document memories with pictures and whatnot. I recommend either building one or purchasing one.

hayyward

Silver Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2006
Packerland
I know the "north shore" of Superior very, very well and absolutely love it. Hiking along those rivers, staring at the waterfalls, skipping rocks across the big lake... that was my childhood. I miss that area dearly. My Vikings' fandom is a double-edged sword. Love it and hate it, and it often feels like a condemnation that I must bear on my shoulders, haha. And boy do we hate Aaron Rodgers. It's the time of year to be hopeful, but come December I'm sure I'll be Charlie Brown ready to have Lucy pull the ball out as I kick once again.
Enjoy the fall up there!
We're headed up to the big lake, big trees and little mountains on Sunday of Labor Day weekend. Skip some stones, count some waves, maybe see a moose! DH has the t-shirt, "I go to the forest to lose my mind and find my soul". I love it there too, I'll give it a nod from you.

We know we are fortunate to have two good QBs back to back. And let me just say, y'all hated Brett Favre too, until you didn't. :)

Attachments

• Mathews & #4.jpg
    Mathews & #4.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1

Campeador

May 22, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
We're headed up to the big lake, big trees and little mountains on Sunday of Labor Day weekend. Skip some stones, count some waves, maybe see a moose! DH has the t-shirt, "I go to the forest to lose my mind and find my soul". I love it there too, I'll give it a nod from you.

We know we are fortunate to have two good QBs back to back. And let me just say, y'all hated Brett Favre too, until you didn't. :)
I'm tempted to reply with an image of Anthony Barr's clean hit on Rodgers, which provoked the league to essentially make it illegal to hit the QB, but I guess I've managed to squelch the urge (barely). I never really disliked Favre, so, yes, we loved it when he joined the 'dark side' (for you).

I've seen two moose in my life, both in Northern MN. First time was when I spent a month working in Grand Portage during a summer. I couldn't believe how huge it was. Looked like we could've driven my dad's pickup underneath it. Other time was canoeing the BWCA. Amazing animals.

Dave Moz

Jul 15, 2021
Last year we bought a little travel log that the kids fill in before, during, and after the trip. We keep it in the pup so we don't forget it. It's great for giving the kids something to do right as we get there and start setting up if they aren't helping.

Sadly, I realized how many place I'd forgotten I had camped at through the years. There are a number of campgrounds in Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and other places that I just don't remember the name or even town they were in. It's important to my wife and I that the kids have a great record of these trips as they get older.

We also bought a Pennsylvania State Park Passport as not every PA State Park has a campground.

Other than that, we try to buy postcards from each place we camp, then write the dates, site number, and other notes on the back. These are kept at home in a folder so they don't get lost.

Also, sharing pictures on social media has helped. It's easier than dragging out a drive full of pics to remember a place.

And this site has been helpful. Since joining, I'm trying to write a review of each place we camp, first to help others be informed, and second so I have a good record of things that were important to me.

Latest posts