Ford Explorer Towing Capacity

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Emilie Lapierre, Aug 7, 2019.

1. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I've tried to see what the factory tow package consisted of, and the information in not exactly clear, but it seems that the Heavy Duty Class III Tow Package in 2014 included the hitch, a seven pin wiring connector, a transmission cooler, and an engine oil cooler. With this equipment, you should be able to tow up to 5000 lbs. What is not clear is whether the package included a tow/haul switch on the dash, or if that came with all Explorers. If yours does not have that, you can two in third gear instead of overdrive.

One additional note: You'll need a weight distribution hitch as well.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  2. Emilie Lapierre

Emilie Lapierre New Member

I dont have the factory towing paquage, I juste got one installed next week!
    That's why it is difficult to know

3. Emilie Lapierre

Thank you all for trying helping me

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Without the factory tow package, the OP is stuck at the 2000lb mark.. Factory hitch was fully integrated into the rear crossmember of the vehicle.. bolt on aftermarket won't be.. Even with adding the coolers and wiring.. still going to be stuck at the 2000lb mark..

5. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

yes, that's it... Not sure why it is not coming up on the site.

6. Emilie Lapierre

I wonder why some person tow pop-up with cars and other smà SUV.... they are not ligit? Can they be arrested for that?

7. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

You should have no problem

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

page 14,
    https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/14FLRVTTgde_Sep9.pdf

9. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

So this is where it gets tricky.... You will not get a straight answer to that question on this forum without being completely confused. Should you, by the law no. Can you, 500lbs over on a pup is likely going to be no issue. Can you get in trouble, I guess - though never has anyone been arrested or likely even ticketed for being 500 lbs over unless there was another unsafe condition. A police officer isn't going to pull you over on suspicion of being overweight, especially a pop up. It might shorten the life of your vehicle by pulling overweight without the coolers, but every day someone is pulling a 2500lb trailer with a 2000 rated vehicle. You will get the return responses that it is completely dangerous and you're risking everyone's safety on the road. Others will say no big deal. There is no middle ground on this answer. If you feel comfortable you will likely do it for years without any issues. A more general consensus is as you approach 3000 lbs you will want to have brakes on it, especially being overweight.

10. Emilie Lapierre

I understand... that was the feeling that I had.... I am the kind of person who is looking for facts... and the fact is that I am not suppose to tow more than 2000 pounds so ...

11. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

If you equip your vehicle with everything that Ford would have installed with the tow package, you will be fine towing up to Ford listed capacity, imho.

12. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

I would not hesitate to tow a 2500 pound pop up with your vehicle. Add a brake controller and you should be all set. Just drive reasonably and carefully.

Minimalist likes this.
  13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Could be American site, Canadian VIN .. Had same issue years ago trying to look up the VIN on my Sierra ..

14. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

This would be my guess as well. Different VIN between US and Canada and the US based site won't recognize it.

15. rabird

rabird Howdy!

could be, might be, most likely, ...

Ya can't change the GVWR: 6,160 lbs (only ford can), and note no GCWR!!!

explorer.jpg

16. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

The bottom line is if you do not have the FACTORY installed tow package, your towing abilities are limited. Take your vehicle to your Ford dealer and have them run the VIN (they will understand how to do this). They should be able to give you the accurate tow rating of your vehicle. Have them put it in writing. From what you've said, though, my guess is you are limited to 2,000 pounds. Can you tow more than that with an after market tow package? Probably. Will it be safe? Maybe. However, you are adding stress to your vehicle that may shorten the life-span. And if you ever get in an accident and you are towing without the tow package, you could have a liability problem. On the other hand, there are small pop-ups that may meet the lower tow capacity. Livin Lite comes to mind. Good luck.

17. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

All of this is moot without more specifics Emilie, what would you like to tow?

18. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

Towing is way more than the trailer weight. When Ford says you vehicle can tow 2000lb they don't know where, what and how often you tow. Ford has to assume that you want to pull a boxed trailer over the Rockies and that daily. That is a completely different ballgame than towing a popup from Montreal to Toronto twice a year.

I wouldn't even think twice about towing 2500lbs pop up where I usually go camping (GA, FL, TN, NC, SC) with your Explorer. Our trailer is about 1800-2000lbs and I pull that with my Jetta (manual, 2.5) with 3 bikes on the roof and I have zero issues. No sway, no issues braking, no issues keeping up with traffic. However, I would make sure I have trailer brakes and sway control. I use electronic sway control and i love it.

Use common sense and don't let people here scare you. Can-Am RV in Ontario would be an excellent choice to call them and ask them for input. They know more about toing than everybody here combined.

1380ken likes this.
  19. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

The 2012 ford explorer tow package from factory comes with a tow button the locks your OD off and also there is a smaller cooler addition if you have the V6 3.5 L naturally aspirated engine. I have one and towed a 2500 and a 3500 lb pup. Mine did not have a tow package. i would put it in manual and 5th and drive. the 2500 was hardly noticable . the 3500 was a bit in hill climbs. even then nothing got hot. Just the 3.5 generally was anemic. I added a trailer brake with a etrailer kit and tapped into the wiring. it did spooke the rear back up sensors a bit .

I still have the explorer with 160k and it still runs. i did do the transmission oil change at 150k as recommended and it looked fine.

thanks
    Satz

JustRelax likes this.
  20. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

The stock temp gauges on most new stuff is there for show.
    If you want to really keep an eye on things get a Bluetooth dongle for your OBD port and use your phone to keep an eye on real temps.

silverfz likes this.