Ford F150 Decision Help

exploreco

Super Active Member
Jun 20, 2013
Central, IL
We are looking to upgrade TV and the F150 is on my list. By time we get wood, cooler, and stuff in the Pilot, it just seems like we always run out of room. Yes, I know, too much stuff. If it were up to me, it would up to me it would be beer, food, wood. In that order 

So, one option is an minivan. More room but I think we will be over or tow capacity as the camper is at #3200. Acadia/Traverse, bigger than what we have, a higher to capacity, and has that people hauling capacity we are looking for when not hauling stuff and towing. That is what my wife is wanting. I keep coming back to a truck. I keep saying, right tool for the right job type thing. A truck we can throw whatever we want in the back, wood, cooler, BAL leveler, bikes (which we don’t take now because we don’t have a bike rack on the camper), an outside table she wants to get, screen tent for outside table, etc, and a truck will easily accommodate the pop up and give us some room to move up to a HTT someday if we wish. But we trade off that people hauling capacity. So, we are weighing which is of higher importance. I am ok without hauling the people because we only do it a few times a years but she is thinking as kids get older. I get that.

Anyways, all that said, this is what I am looking at. I have read several threads and some on the F150 forums but so confused by all of the different engine choices. I currently am looking at a 2010 SC with a 5.4 V8 with 20,000 miles on it, or 2 2011 3.5 eco boost with about 30,000 miles on them. The 2011’s are $1500 more. This truck will be a daily driver for me. I am not concerned that either will pull the pup, that should be ok. Thinking the 5.4 will probally get worse gas mileage than the 3.5 will. Or is the eco boost the best option for just an average driving truck person?

I know there are tons of threads out there, but just looking for some insights from owners that have experience with them. I have never owned a truck so I have no idea what I am looking for in a truck when I go and look.

Thanks!!

Ryanincc

Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry
Dec 28, 2013
Corpus Christi, TX

AndyG

Oct 29, 2013
My wife and I went through a similar discussion a couple months ago. She wanted a third row seat for the future, and I wanted an F150. We ended up with a 2011 Certified Pre-owned Expedition with the 5.4L engine and 25k miles. It still feels like a truck driving it and has lots of room in the back with the third row folded down. We bought a Weathertech mat for the back so we can throw firewood and whatever else back there with no concern for getting it dirty. I have never driven the Ecoboost, but I can tell you that ours gets about 15MPG around town, 17-18 on the highway, and 16-17 when towing our PUP. I would expect that the F150 with the 5.4L might get 1MPG better, but that is probably what you are looking at in terms of gas milage with that option.

exploreco

Super Active Member
Jun 20, 2013
Central, IL
Ryanincc said:
Im currently in the market for an Acadia/Traverse [:D] I don't know about F-150's but I can suggest a bike rack for you. Its a sleeve mount that slides over the drawbar. Works perfectly for us and our 3 bikes. The bikes are as close to the TV as possible without touching and they easily clear the tanks and pup when turning

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009NZL34/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2011 Coleman Sun Valley Pop Up Camper bike rack by Ryanincc, on Flickr
We had a bike rack like that with our last pop up, or Fleetwood and it worked well. Then when we got the Rockwood we had to get a different hitch bar because the Rockwood frame is higher and weren't able to use it.

The DW really wants the Traverse/Acadia because it would be the family vehicle. We have liked the ones we have seen. Just would be nice to chuck stuff in the back off a truck. Lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

exploreco

Super Active Member
Jun 20, 2013
Central, IL
AndyG said:
My wife and I went through a similar discussion a couple months ago. She wanted a third row seat for the future, and I wanted an F150. We ended up with a 2011 Certified Pre-owned Expedition with the 5.4L engine and 25k miles. It still feels like a truck driving it and has lots of room in the back with the third row folded down. We bought a Weathertech mat for the back so we can throw firewood and whatever else back there with no concern for getting it dirty. I have never driven the Ecoboost, but I can tell you that ours gets about 15MPG around town, 17-18 on the highway, and 16-17 when towing our PUP. I would expect that the F150 with the 5.4L might get 1MPG better, but that is probably what you are looking at in terms of gas milage with that option.
I have thought about that too. I have looked at a couple of tahoes but haven't found any exp i liked yet but sure they are out there.

lbcarr87

Super Active Member
Aug 29, 2009
Not to muddy the waters with your choices but I have a 2011 F150 Super Crew with the 5.0 liter V8. Ford stopped making the 5.4 liter after 2010, not sure why.
I will say that I love our truck , the super crew gives us so much space for passengers and it tows our HTT with ease. I have heard that the 3.5 eco boost has a great towing capacity also but have never towed with one.
Our 2011 also has a manual shift option on the transmission which is a great option to have in certain situations for towing and/or mountain driving.

exploreco

Super Active Member
Jun 20, 2013
Central, IL
I did make a mistake in my orginal post. 1 of the 2011 is the 5.0 v8 the other is the 3.5 eco boost. The 2010 is the lowest miles and cheapest. It is the one with the 5.4.

3hooligans

Jul 27, 2014
Boston

Me the missus and three hooligans!
2014 Rockwood Premier 2317g
2012 Ford F150 super crew ecoboost
2011 Honda Pilot

3hooligans

Jul 27, 2014
Boston
I have a 2012 ford F150 super crew with ecoboost. I love it, we can average 20-21 on the highway. Pulling the PUP 17mph. I also have three kids, which means more stuff to bring. I have put all 5 bikes in the back plus 2 coolers and totes. My only complaint is that it is all exposed when driving. I plan to put a set of Yakima racks on the bed rails to carry the five bikes and then unroll the tonneau cover.
I can take pretty much what ever I want. The kids have plenty of space and the ecoboost is nice and fast.
I previously owned a 2004 F150 super crew with 5.4 which was nice, no issues. Never towed with it, the MPH was not as good. 15 on the highway.
I like the six speed tranny which is on the 12, had a 4 speed on the 04. All the newer ones are 6 speeds.
I use it as my daily driver, I work for a VNA.

Good luck in your choice.

Me the missus and three hooligans
2014 rockwood premier 2317g
2012 F 150 super crew echo boost.

silverfz

Aug 8, 2013
Truck is the way to go.
I got a 2008 tundra crewmax a year go as we need 3 adults ,dog and 2 baby seats and the crewmax is the biggest interior room truck.Towing our pup with the back filled never needed tow/haul. Even now I use the tow/haul in secondary roads and shut it off on the highway. now my TT is 7500 lbs

jnc

Welcome from New Hampshire
Oct 1, 2014
South Central New Hampshire
exploreco said:
A truck we can throw whatever we want in the back, wood, cooler, BAL leveler, bikes (which we don’t take now because we don’t have a bike rack on the camper), an outside table she wants to get, screen tent for outside table, etc,
I think you have answered your own Question. " A truck we can throw what ever we want in the back". I have had a truck of one shape or size since I was 5. I believe my Father was the one to make the first SUV. Back in the mid 70's my Dad and Grand Dad bolted bench seats a heater & a radio in the back of a 1972 F100. He did this so he could Set up at flee markets an sell junk & have a family car at the same time. He hauled everything & everyone all the time.

With that said.

[PU] [PUT]A TRUCK WE CAN THROW WHATEVER WE WANT IN THE BACK [2C] [:D] [:D]

RockyRoo

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD
Jun 8, 2012
Have you considered a Suburban or Expedition EL? Sounds to me like they are exactly what you are looking for. Family hauler on a truck chassis that can do all of what you are asking it to do and then some.

Ryanincc

Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry
Dec 28, 2013
Corpus Christi, TX
exploreco said:
We had a bike rack like that with our last pop up, or Fleetwood and it worked well. Then when we got the Rockwood we had to get a different hitch bar because the Rockwood frame is higher and weren't able to use it.

The DW really wants the Traverse/Acadia because it would be the family vehicle. We have liked the ones we have seen. Just would be nice to chuck stuff in the back off a truck. Lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
I'm interested in the Traverse/Acadia because it's a 5200 lb tow cap V6. Much more practical for a daily driver that tows 5% of the time. And I think they look sharp [emoji16] but if you're planning to upgrade to a big TT, I would think a pickup or bigger Tahoe or Suburban would be wise.

My phone did this using Tapatalk

exploreco

Super Active Member
Jun 20, 2013
Central, IL
jnc said:
I think you have answered your own Question. " A truck we can throw what ever we want in the back". I have had a truck of one shape or size since I was 5. I believe my Father was the one to make the first SUV. Back in the mid 70's my Dad and Grand Dad bolted bench seats a heater & a radio in the back of a 1972 F100. He did this so he could Set up at flee markets an sell junk & have a family car at the same time. He hauled everything & everyone all the time.

With that said.

[PU] [PUT]A TRUCK WE CAN THROW WHATEVER WE WANT IN THE BACK [2C] [:D] [:D]
Lol, I have been sold for some time. I think we are going to look this weekend at some. I think when she sees there is enough room on the inside it will be ok. And if she wants to hall kids around then we can trade her car in some day on a van. Trying to research the different engine options. Think they are probably all about the same in town but the eco boost does have the highest potential on the highway, but finding on the f150 forums not everyone has been happy with eco boost mpg (outside of towing)

exploreco

Super Active Member
Jun 20, 2013
Central, IL
RockyRoo said:
Have you considered a Suburban or Expedition EL? Sounds to me like they are exactly what you are looking for. Family hauler on a truck chassis that can do all of what you are asking it to do and then some.
I have. The issue I have is we don't have a need yet for massive kid hauling :) It is more the wife thinking ahead that we will have a need to haul kids around some day. Now we use the 3rd row about 6 times a year. So that is why she likes the Acadia. Bigger and still has the 3rd row but won't have the room of a truck. I think deep down the issue is I really want a truck and trying to justify it [emoji2]

exploreco

Super Active Member
Jun 20, 2013
Central, IL
Ryanincc said:
I'm interested in the Traverse/Acadia because it's a 5200 lb tow cap V6. Much more practical for a daily driver that tows 5% of the time. And I think they look sharp [emoji16] but if you're planning to upgrade to a big TT, I would think a pickup or bigger Tahoe or Suburban would be wise.

My phone did this
And you bring up another valid point. The vehicle is only used for towing a small percentage of the time.

mrclortho

Aug 11, 2014
exploreco said:
We are looking to upgrade TV and the F150 is on my list. By time we get wood, cooler, and stuff in the Pilot, it just seems like we always run out of room. Yes, I know, too much stuff. If it were up to me, it would up to me it would be beer, food, wood. In that order 

So, one option is an minivan. More room but I think we will be over or tow capacity as the camper is at #3200. Acadia/Traverse, bigger than what we have, a higher to capacity, and has that people hauling capacity we are looking for when not hauling stuff and towing. That is what my wife is wanting. I keep coming back to a truck. I keep saying, right tool for the right job type thing. A truck we can throw whatever we want in the back, wood, cooler, BAL leveler, bikes (which we don’t take now because we don’t have a bike rack on the camper), an outside table she wants to get, screen tent for outside table, etc, and a truck will easily accommodate the pop up and give us some room to move up to a HTT someday if we wish. But we trade off that people hauling capacity. So, we are weighing which is of higher importance. I am ok without hauling the people because we only do it a few times a years but she is thinking as kids get older. I get that.

Anyways, all that said, this is what I am looking at. I have read several threads and some on the F150 forums but so confused by all of the different engine choices. I currently am looking at a 2010 SC with a 5.4 V8 with 20,000 miles on it, or 2 2011 3.5 eco boost with about 30,000 miles on them. The 2011’s are $1500 more. This truck will be a daily driver for me. I am not concerned that either will pull the pup, that should be ok. Thinking the 5.4 will probally get worse gas mileage than the 3.5 will. Or is the eco boost the best option for just an average driving truck person?

I know there are tons of threads out there, but just looking for some insights from owners that have experience with them. I have never owned a truck so I have no idea what I am looking for in a truck when I go and look.

Thanks!!

The F150 is a nice truck for sure and intended on buying one about a year ago but after driving a 2013 RAM, it was and easy decision for me. I am not going to try and sell you on a RAM, but if you are not dead set on a Ford, you may owe it to yourself to check one out before buying.

But, you cannot go wrong with a full size truck for what we do, especially if you get a crew cab. Once I throw in the kids and dogs, hook up the pup and add out gear, it uses every bit of room that my RAM has (also a crew cab). If you don't have enough room for the beer, time to trade up. If you want to haul wood, then a truck is the answer. As far as fuel economy, I have the Hemi and 4x4 with a 2.5" lift kit and 33" all terrain tires. Running empty, I average 17mpg around the city. Loaded with the pup, I range from 14-16mpg on the highway. Also, you can add a camper shell or soft top to the bed if you like. After going to a full size truck, I doubt you would go back to anything else unless you live in a big city where vehicle size is a problem.

I am on the "I would not be caught dead in a minivan" wagon so will leave that one alone, hahaha.

The Acadia/Traverse is an exceptionally nice vehicle that is also an exceptional pile of crap. We had one, loved the features, the look, the interior and how it drove, and really enjoyed it. But, it was broke and broke again, and was VERY expensive to fix. Ours had 75k miles on it and after spending $1,700 to keep it running (distributor module, coil packs, front end bushings, transmission module, gobs of electrical issues, on and on) and realizing that I would going to have to spend another $5,000 in the coming months for a new transmission and differential, we threw in the towel. Loved and hated it. Traded it for a Dodge Avenger V6 for my wife, and it has never had a problem, not a single one.

My RAM has been flawless for 25k miles, hard miles of towing and off-roading in the Rocky Mountains and west Texas. My father's RAM has been perfect for 20K miles as well.

mrclortho

Aug 11, 2014
Ryanincc said:

My phone did this

Beware of the Acadia/Traverse...had one...never again...

arthuruscg

Super Active Member
Nov 14, 2012
So, you need a family hauler with lots of cargo space. It sounds like you want a fill sized van, based on your requirements.

Heck, if you take the back 2 rows out, you might be able to load the popup in the back of the van and still have cargo room.