Ford F150 Tow Vehicles

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Sam III, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Sam III

Sam III New Member

Alrighty folks,
    I am beginning to look around for a new TV. I want either 2011-12-13, F150 with either the EccoBoost or the 5.0.
    Those of you that have either let me know the good, bad and ugly on them. I am going to get a Supercrew cab in one of the higher trim models. Lariat, Platinum or Limited. My concerns are fuel economy while towing and around town. I know the Excoboost is a beast but I want to hear both sides of the story.
    Sam

2. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

In the testing I have read, the 5.0 was a better choice for towing. More low end torque. Plus you do have to spool up the turbo all the time to get power. From whats been printed gas mileage is not that great with the Ecoboost. I must admit I am partial to big engines for towing. My Sierra with 6.0 delivers 10>12 mpg while towing and 14>19 non towing. That is with a 4.10 gears in the differentials. [PUC] [PUT] [8D]

3. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I suggest that you get a truck with the HD payload option - 7700 lbs GVWR or higher - and the tow package.
    A heavily optioned truck may not have more than 800 or 900 lbs payload w/o the payload option or the 7700 lb build.
    Go to the lot and look at the yellow sticker on the driver door.
    YOU are part of the payload as is EVERYTHING/EVERYONE that is put on or in the truck.

Engines? Very different characteristics between the 2.
    Mileage? Can vary widely. You have to stay out of the throttle. It is not easy to do either...

I like my truck. Quiet and smooth.
    The third brake light was replaced because it leaked and the water pump was replaced because it had a bearing that growled.

4. Sam III

Sam III New Member

See, that's my concern with the EccoBoost. The turbos staying spooled up to make power and killing the fuel economy. The 5.0 on the other hand does not have that issue.

I found a Platinum yesterday with the 6.2 but that's a problem for me. I do have a heavy foot and I know that thing will drink heavily.
    The truck will be my daily driver with a total commute of 54 miles daily. Half of which is highway.
    Keep the info coming folks.....

5. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

I really can't offer any input since I am a die hard mopar guy (well I can say ditch the ford and buy a ram lmao) but in my opinion I always considered turbos as a way to make a car "go fast" not really for building torque or for towing applications. I will say I don't have any personal experience with the ecoboost but I would go for the bigger v8 than having a smaller motor with turbos doing the work......

6. WadeT

WadeT New Member

Here is a link to a F150 forum that I frequent.....

Hope this helps

Wade

7. Twisty

Twisty New Member

The Ecoboost has more torque than the 5.0 at low RPM's which can be better for towing.
    The 5.0 is a spinner and will happily run at 55 to 60 mph in 3rd when towing.
    When towing, select tow/haul mode and let the computer do the thinking.
    I often use the "M" selection to keep the tranny from shifting when towing in rolling hills. I run in 3rd or 4th for many miles at a time.
    There is nothing good or bad or right or wrong with either engine - however - many F150 owners have a very large personal stake in their choice. You will see that in the F150 forum. I do not visit that forum any more.

8. Sam III

Sam III New Member

I wonder if the dealership will let me hook my pup up and take it for a test drive with it behind it. Then I could accurately make my decision between the two ?
    I would personally think that for 50,000 dollars they should let me !!

9. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I've heard of dealers doing that.
    I don't think the pup will be noticed though.
    I pull about 6000 lbs.
    Acceleration is more than adequate.

10. Sam III

Sam III New Member

Just north of us we have some decent rolling hills. They are healthy enough and as big as they get in this end of the country. They are large enough to make the choice apparent.

11. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

My friend in Tennessee has a big TT and a Ford with ecoboost. He loves it. On FR Forums, people pull monster TTs and fifth wheel trailers with ecoboost Fords.

[​IMG]

12. Sam III

Sam III New Member

Thanks Baron, that's what I have found as well.
    I stayed up till 2am in F150 forums and I've pretty much made up my mind.
    I've test drive an Ecoboost Flex and it was insanely powerful but also a totally different vehicle.

13. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

Sam,

I've owned F150's since 1983. I've plowed two feet of snow in a single pass with a 301ci straight six and towed over 10,000 pounds with the same truck though hilly Pennsylvania. Currently I have a 2007 302ci v8 to tow the same trailer that handles two whole skids of cement or a bobcat with attachments.

Whichever F150 you buy you'll be fine. They ALL come with the same wiring harness whether you buy the towing package or not. All that is missing is the T connection at the rear bumper which attaches to the trailer plug in module which I purchased later. The electrical connections under the dash for the brake control module are all there, right where you need them, in the right colors and shapes. The only difference between the trucks when ordering a tow package are things like larger mirrors, heavier bumpers, or a real bolt-to-the-frame hitch. They all have the same transmission cooler and same sized brakes. It has been this way for decades.

14. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Our local dealer has 53 F150's in stock!!!
    Prices start at less than 36k.

15. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

How do you figure the 5.0 has more low end torque than the 3.5?

3.5 max torque 420 ft lb @2500
    5.0 max torque 380 ft lb @4250

3.5 makes it's torque WAY lower in the RPM than the 5.0 and makes higher numbers, The 5.0 has to scream to RPMs for max torque. Who cruises at 4250 RPM? You can spool the 3.5 for higher HP than the 5.0, but torque is what gets the job done, not HP.

3.5 is rated highed MPG than the 5.0, but worth noting not significantly more than the 5.0.

Max towing when properly optioned/configured:
    3.5: 11,300lbs
    5.0: 10,000lbs.

16. Twisty

Twisty New Member

"The 5.0 has to scream to RPMs for max torque."
    Redline is 7 grand. The 5.0 is a spinner and 4000 to 6000 rpm is happy time!
    "Who cruises at 4250 RPM? "
    No one I hope!
    Speeds of 55 to 65 mph are easily maintained in 5th gear when towing. 5th gear is an overdrive.

17. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

What RPM are you are 55 to 65 MPH? (I am assuming you are 5.0) Curious as to see how close to 2500 RPM you actually cruise at.

I am not trying to knock the 5.0....it is a capable engine..and arguably a lot simpler minus all the turbo stuff.

18. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

I am a dodge diesel guy but!
    I have driven both 3.5 and 5.0. The 3.5 will pull as good as my stock Cummins, the 5.0 not so good.
    However I have a couple friends that barrowed my pup with the Eco-boost and all say that the best fuel economy towing my little pup was 15mpg respectable but my Jeep ZJ Limited 5.9 gasser with 33" tires gets 15mpg towing the pup.
    The nice part about the Eco-boost is when unhitched it will see 21-22 mpg and that ant shabby at all if it is a daily driver.

19. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

Sam III I too was in your predicament. I bought a 26' TT (sorry I confessed to going to the dark side a long time ago). I had a 2007 ford supercrew lariat with a 5.4 v-8. I went to the local ford dealership and told them what I was looking for. They let me drive about 6 different trucks. They told me to pull my TT and decide which one I wanted. I did like the way the ecoboost pulled my camper over the bridges (while accelerating). I would have chosen the ecoboost before another v-8. I talked my wife into a new F-250 because I had the V-8 already and the ecoboost was not out long enough for me to trust it. But like I said that thing would pull.

20. aabc

aabc Member

Being the wife of a F-150 Ecoboost supercrew cab owner (okay I might be on the title but we have to drive more than 6 hours on a trip before I MIGHT get to drive for about an hour [;)] ) I can't add much to this discussion other than a couple of observations. It is a VERY comfortable ride and the back seat has as much if not MORE leg room than the front. We have the trailer break option which was great when going over mountain passes, per DH.

As I have mentioned before Ford does not automatically fill all the fuse slots. The one that would allow our trailer fridge to "trickle charge" as we are driving down the road is the one that would have been nice to have had on our first trip with the NTU PUP. Drove MT to OR only to find as we pulled into the campsite that the battery was DRAINED! When we took the trailer in for a full inspection and asked the guy about this he said Ford is NOTORIOUS for not putting on this particular fuse. You have to ASK and pay for that special fuse. [:(!] Still makes me mad how patronizing the dealership was to us about this. But I've heard the same complaint about this dealership from lots of other folks. Hopefully you have a better sales experience.