Ford or Dodge truck?

scottie0719

"the Rubber Duckie"
Apr 15, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
I see a definite lean toward the Ford truck, and to qualify, DH and I have had 6 Ford vehicles in the 40 years we've been married. We hauled our kids around in 2 9-passenger station wagons, and we've gone thru 4 retired Crown Vic's with police packages over the past 21 years and retired them all a second time transporting prisoners from all over the US back to KY. They rarely let us down, even with over 300,000 miles on them. The engines will not quit! We even towed a fully loaded U-Haul from KY to CA with the '88 model when our son and his wife were stationed at Ft. Ord. We've never owned a truck, though, and have no experience there. What we want is something solid that will handle and tow well. He's also leaning toward Ford because it's manufactured in Louisville. Thanks for all the input. Guess we'll just have to test drive both and decide which suits us best.

Whiskeyme

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Feb 22, 2009
Virginia Beach, Virginia
[TV] FORD [TV]

AUG001.jpg

94 and 160000 miles on it and many more to go....

Sharon

Dover, FL
Oct 28, 2008
Dover,FL
Go with the Ford! I will say it again! We love our F150. Every time we turn around some one is offering us cash for it, and we wont take it. We bought it when our kids were small, and added special bucket seats in the front so they could get out of the back. The only thing I would do different is get one with back doors, which they didn't have then.

I think it looks real good for 15 years old.

"Big Red" AKA "Old Faithful"
2070668200104297463S600x600Q85.jpg

Sharon

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
Considering the size, why not a Dodge Durango? They are pretty much the same size as a full size truck, blazer and only a few inches shy of a Suburban or Expedition.

Heres my Dodge (2WD but still handles the dirt/sand roads like a 4x4)

2009_0329_0011_800.jpg

Oh and heres ONE reason why Fords are bad luck to me:

explorer1.jpg

October 2004, a 17 year old kid pulled out in front of us while we were doing about 60mph... the only good thing I have to say is that the Ford kept us alive... otherwise I have been in more Fords than any other brand that have broken down, got wrecked or fell apart so I just stay away from them all.

West Coast Canuck

Jumped to the dark side ......
Mar 3, 2005
I say Dodge, I have an 04 Ram..........every single Ford I ever owned ....let's just say I'll never buy another Ford Product period. I was raised a Ford guy.......and now we have 3 Chrysler products......never had any bad issues with them.

beeday

Greenville, SC
Nov 9, 2007
Greenville, SC
If I had to choose between the two I would go with Ford because even though the Dodge has a life time warranty, "if" it is in the shop more than you are driving it, then the dealership is driving it more than you are correcting the problems that Dodge has with there vehicles. I am a GM fan myself, I have had all of them and GM has served my needs the best. And has a better resale value over time.

rpm2203

sure - that's fine
Sep 7, 2003
Southern Ontario, Canada
This is sounding more like a poll of popularity between Ford and Dodge...

Well, my vote will go with Ford - I like Fords - my last three vehicles have been Fords and all have served me well. I currently have a Ford Escape - it is coming up 6 years and has been an awesome vehicle. Very few problems over the years and a great TV for my PUP. I know lots of people that have F150's and everyone has only good things to say about them.

campfixer

Aug 13, 2008
I prefer Ford. I suggest that you both test drive both vehicles. Then you can decide based on the pros and cons of each vehicle comapred to your own personal needs and intended uses.

Matt O

Strangers are friends who have not yet met
Dec 16, 2008
Chester County PA
I wouldn't discredit the Toyota Tundra. Dodge, Ford, Chevy, are made fun of because they break down constantly. (each one has their share) Toyota has proven its reliablity. The only thing they are made fun of is that it isn't an American truck.

Well.....They are built in Indiana and Texas. I'd rather keep the little guy working in the plant on the job. Who cares that the fat cat CEO is in Japan or USA. The Tundra is built in the US with US workers in many many jobs. Assembly, parts, shipping, and many more trickle down jobs.

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
Matt O said:
I wouldn't discredit the Toyota Tundra. Dodge, Ford, Chevy, are made fun of because they break down constantly. (each one has their share) Toyota has proven its reliablity. The only thing they are made fun of is that it isn't an American truck.

Well.....They are built in Indiana and Texas. I'd rather keep the little guy working in the plant on the job. Who cares that the fat cat CEO is in Japan or USA. The Tundra is built in the US with US workers in many many jobs. Assembly, parts, shipping, and many more trickle down jobs.

Sorry but long term reliability on the full size trucks still point to the big 3... if you look at the past 10-15 years, it is always GM or Ford, if you look at 50+ years then only GM stands out. Look at the classic trucks still on the road, a large majority of them are GM trucks, regardless of condition.

critter

Apr 21, 2009
screwballl said:
Sorry but long term reliability on the full size trucks still point to the big 3... if you look at the past 10-15 years, it is always GM or Ford, if you look at 50+ years then only GM stands out. Look at the classic trucks still on the road, a large majority of them are GM trucks, regardless of condition.

That's only because Toyota has only been building full size trucks since 99 and Nissan has been building them for about 5 years. Talk to me in 20 years and see what lasts longer. I plan to still be driving my Tundra then can buyers of the big 3 say the same?

kipper

Jun 2, 2009
Southeastern Pa
As a mechanic , the fords have plastic ball joints yes plastic , have more transmission problems , (as do Dodges up until 2004 ) . The Fords are ok until they break and need to be repaired , very time consuming Stay away from the 6.0 and 6.4 diesels . The Dodges up until 2008 have a lot of minor quality control issues trim pieces , cheap plastic door panels , I have driven the 2009 Dodge and it has a great ride very car like , with the Hemi it moves . The coil spring rear suspension is new for 09 so I dont know how well it will do.
I just got done truck shopping Drove the Toyota, Dodge , Chevy and ford , The toyota was too much $$$ and they did not want to deal , so it came down to the big three, I went with the best price i could get and got a Chevy Silverado . Either one your getting a good truck .

chrismarques

Jun 24, 2006
I traded my 2005 Dodge Ram QC 1500 Hemi for my 2008 F150 Supercab 4.6 last year. Both are great trucks, no complaints. Traded the Dodge due to high miles and got a very good deal on the F150. Both tow just fine. I did love the extra hp of the Hemi for towing my boat but the Ford does the same just fine but slower. I think the F150 tows better and smoother but the other was fun to pull away from anything even with a trailer attached!

camper.jpg

1240251166.jpg