Forest River/Rockwood Highwall - Hw277

jonkquil

Super Active Member
Jul 20, 2009
Oh wow! What year model? Dealer or private?

I have a 2018 HW27KS, the Flagstaff version of yours. I love that I can pre-chill and fill my fridge at home with the roof down. The outside pull out kitchen is great, didn't think I would love it as much as I do, beds are comfy, there's plenty of storage (for 2 of us) and I love having an ice box in the fridge. BUT they are not built that well and screws fall out, rails pop off, switches break, you really need to keep up on light maintenance. I have what's know as front wall flexing, when the king bed is extended (over the tongue) the bed support rail is flimsy and causes the wall to flex, if this is happening on your model you'll see a separation with the cabinet that's attached to the front wall. It doesn't mean that the wall is going to fail.....I hope!
Don't let me put you off, I just wanted you to be aware. I have loved modding mine, I have no doubt that you will love your HW, got any pics?

Bill McCall

Aug 20, 2019
Columbus, Ohio
Oh wow! What year model? Dealer or private?

I have a 2018 HW27KS, the Flagstaff version of yours. I love that I can pre-chill and fill my fridge at home with the roof down. The outside pull out kitchen is great, didn't think I would love it as much as I do, beds are comfy, there's plenty of storage (for 2 of us) and I love having an ice box in the fridge. BUT they are not built that well and screws fall out, rails pop off, switches break, you really need to keep up on light maintenance. I have what's know as front wall flexing, when the king bed is extended (over the tongue) the bed support rail is flimsy and causes the wall to flex, if this is happening on your model you'll see a separation with the cabinet that's attached to the front wall. It doesn't mean that the wall is going to fail.....I hope!
Don't let me put you off, I just wanted you to be aware. I have loved modding mine, I have no doubt that you will love your HW, got any pics?
Thanks for the insight. We visited 3 dealers in NW Ohio and Southern MI. We could pick up the '22 Forest River/Rockwood Highwall - Hw277 very soon, as early as next week. Another dealer sold a 23 model before we got there and we can have the next one at the current price when it comes from the factory. May talk to him today. I was so excited looking at it, I forgot to take pictures, but my wife did. As soon as she sends them to me I will post them. Do you use sway bars on yours?

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Got to admit I really love the layout on that one and the slide out outside stove is awesome. Before I got my popup i was looking at a highwall, but didn’t pull the trigger because of my mom, At the time, would not have been able to climb up into the beds and the sidekick would not be able to turn the lights off not without a flying leap. Knowing her, she would do just that the second I wasn’t looking. My other fear was needing a darn ladder to pull the bunk out if I camped at some of my crazy unlevel sites I’m known to visit and setup was entirely on me. so for some people a highwall could work beautifully for others it’s almost too big. I hope you and your family have many great years with it.

Bill McCall

Aug 20, 2019
Columbus, Ohio
Got to admit I really love the layout on that one and the slide out outside stove is awesome. Before I got my popup i was looking at a highwall, but didn’t pull the trigger because of my mom, At the time, would not have been able to climb up into the beds and the sidekick would not be able to turn the lights off not without a flying leap. Knowing her, she would do just that the second I wasn’t looking. My other fear was needing a darn ladder to pull the bunk out if I camped at some of my crazy unlevel sites I’m known to visit and setup was entirely on me. so for some people a highwall could work beautifully for others it’s almost too big. I hope you and your family have many great years with it.
Thanks for the thoughts. I was looking at pulling out those beds. We do it with heavy beds now on our Coachman that it is about chest height for my wife and I . By the way, we have been afraid to take our older Coachman very far because of its age, We did visit Bryce Canyon UT last year on a road trip from Vegas. Loved the area. We will travel further with this one. IMG_8438.JPG

jonkquil

Super Active Member
Jul 20, 2009
Love the interior colors, I see they have changed the faucet to a fold down - I like that.

I don't use a sway bar, I tow with a Tundra, there's only 2 of us and we are mostly weekend campers, so don't take a lot of stuff. I never drive over 65 mph, so have never felt the need for a sway bar, it tows well behind my Tundra, my Grand Cherokee before that tho couldn't handle it & it was very uncomfortable towing the HW, even tho it should have been fine. If I'd kept the Jeep I might have considered adding a sway bar.

Yes, the beds are high. Making them up is another story and it's one of the downsides to having a HW. I keep a little step stool inside & use it to open the window coverings over the sink area and help for me climbing in and out the bed. I have a 'press stick' (2ft stick with a soft pad at the end) I use this to turn lights on/off as needed. The main switch turns them all on but you can individually turn some of them off by pressing the button in the center.

I'm 5ft 1inch and I can set the HW up by myself, it's a challenge pulling the king bed out by myself but I can do it. I can set up in 20 minutes easily. Before my HW I had a 07 Westlake, I was nervous going to a HW as it seemed so big, but the extra comfort is so worth it.

Good luck, I'm very excited for you and your family. Please post an update when you get your rig or have any questions. I am however headed out on a 5 night camp-out where there's no service - whooo hoooo!! But no portal either!!

jonkquil

Super Active Member
Jul 20, 2009
Also..... is that an actual stainless steel sink? The one in mine looks stainless but it's plastic, have they made the upgrade to stainless?

Bill McCall

Aug 20, 2019
Columbus, Ohio
Also..... is that an actual stainless steel sink? The one in mine looks stainless but it's plastic, have they made the upgrade to stainless?
Yes, the stink is stainless steel, we haven't seen it with the roof down yet, so I didn't consider if that faucet folds down or not. Just put a deposit on it, hope to pick it up on the 27th. We could get it sooner, but we have grand kids birthday coming up next week and we have to drive 200 miles to get it.

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
We have a HW296 Rockwood that we have done a lot of mods on. It is not a problem for me on setup @ 6 ft. 4 in. DW is 5 ft 2 in, we bought several Rubbermaid 2 step stools about 4 years ago that she uses at home, and in the pup. They are high density plastic, but are strong enough for me to stand on if need be. I always tell Her, she is so short, that if she sneezes it blows dirt in her face. Hope you love yours as much as we do ours. Enjoy the camp. See you on the trail.

Annunzi

Congrats! We have a 2020 HW277, and the layout is great, but as @jonkquil mentioned as well, the fit and finish wasn't the best and there's been many light repairs I've had to do (replacing light kill switch, re-sealing caulking around sink, replacing various loose screws). We also replaced the power lift winch with a manual one, as we started having issues with the power winch.

We tow with a 2017 Volvo XC90 and we use a WDH with anti-sway. The trailer tows very smoothly and thankfully we've never had any towing issues (other than self inflicted issues like having the 7-way cord drag on the ground on our first trip).

Last edited:

Annunzi

Enjoy! Make sure you get a good folding step stool. I'm 6'2", and I need it to help install the interior shepherd poles, putting up/taking down the awning (many folks do this with the roof half raised, which is probably smarter), as well as tucking the tenting in at take down.

Bill McCall

Aug 20, 2019
Columbus, Ohio
Enjoy! Make sure you get a good folding step stool. I'm 6'2", and I need it to help install the interior shepherd poles, putting up/taking down the awning (many folks do this with the roof half raised, which is probably smarter), as well as tucking the tenting in at take down.
Good thought, we do have one such stool already. With our current camper we drop at 1/2 and 1/4 to tuck the canvas. I'll have pictures on Monday, I don't think Sterling St Park in Mich has Wifi for me to post here, but I'll have my camera and phone.

Annunzi

It's the depth of the tucking (especially on the king bed) that we find a bit challenging, so having a step stool and soft bristle broom helps. We found the farther in you can tuck the tenting, the easier it was to get the roof lowered and locked.

Pro tip: make sure you push the dinette slide in first, before pushing in the bunk ends. There are rollers on the dinette that the bunk ends slide over. However, once you push the dinette slide in, make sure you pull the tenting from the dinette slide out of the trailer, to keep it clear of bunk end slides.

popup-flyer

May 11, 2021
Central Texas
make sure you pull the tenting from the dinette slide out of the trailer, to keep it clear of bunk end slides.
THIS!

My first popup I bought used I couldn't for the life of me understand why the dinette tent was velcro attached to the lower body and not permanently secured.

Turns out the PO obviously closed it with the tent hanging inside then forced a bunk or two closed and ripped the tent/mount clean off. Took me a while to get that fixed correctly.

It wasn't until later when I saw it get caught by the slide while closing that I knew what had happened.

Bill McCall

Aug 20, 2019
Columbus, Ohio
It's the depth of the tucking (especially on the king bed) that we find a bit challenging, so having a step stool and soft bristle broom helps. We found the farther in you can tuck the tenting, the easier it was to get the roof lowered and locked.

Pro tip: make sure you push the dinette slide in first, before pushing in the bunk ends. There are rollers on the dinette that the bunk ends slide over. However, once you push the dinette slide in, make sure you pull the tenting from the dinette slide out of the trailer, to keep it clear of bunk end slides.
We've already found these suggestions to be very valid! Thanks.