Formaldehyde Smell, Dangerous Vapor and VOCS

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by niagarafam, Aug 27, 2016.

1. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Formaldehyde and the VOC exposure is one of the main drawbacks to a TT. We did consider it long and hard before buying our Jay Feather. The Niagara's breathable Sunbrella still remains one of the top features that we know we will always miss. In fact, it probably was our favorite aspect of the PUP, giving it an open fresh air ambience when we camped. If we had the big bucks, we would have kept the Niagara for good weather trips to quiet places.

What can be done to mitigate the smell and presence of formaldehyde vapor? Our Jayco has it pretty bad. Do you have any "tricks" beyond opening widows and running fans?

Do you know the validity of this product or similar products? http://noodor.com/p/RV-smell-odor-deodorizer-trailer-camper-from-odors.html

http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/substances/formaldehyde/formaldehyde-fact-sheet

https://www.epa.gov/formaldehyde/facts-about-formaldehyde

2. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

3. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Open all the windows and unzip the tent ends................make sure the campfire is up wind of it and smoke it. Our Roo now smells like an Amish ham. [:D]

Seriously the only thing that ultimatly works is time. I've degassed and detoxified a few in the last couple of years and it hasn't killed me yet. [LOL]

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I don't know about that particular product, but with our smelly (apparently way too much scent added when it was detailed) NTU truck this year, I used one of the bag-type products. It didn't seem to do much, if any, good. We also bought an ozonator, which did seem to help, but can damage some types of plastic. I actually did damage one ceiling light cover, which was in the direct blast from the machine. The ozonator runs for some length of time, then you have to let fresh air in before being inside.
    Our Retro had a bit of "new" smell. We just coped by having the windows open when we could, ditto with fans. I was happy when we bought the MaxxAir covers for the two roof vents, so we can leave those open all the time in warm weather.
    We bought the Retro two years ago, and, at least to my reduced sense of smell, there isn't residual from the VOCs. It has been aired a lot this summer, since we have kept the a/c fan and bathroom vent fan running while plugged in at home, along with the other vent being open. We haven't been able to keep windows open all the time, since monsoon season finally began.

5. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

At least you will be pre-treated for that final day![emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

6. ChocoChock01

the reason we went to HTT

7. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Yes, we really like the HTT floorplan advantages, but we are done with canvas in weather, lack of weather insulation (heat and cool loss), canvas maintenance, and the sounds at night issues we have. There is no one perfect camper for us; it is more about where we are overall at each phase of the game. We like the Murphy bed and sofa set up in our Jay Feather as a compromise approach - safety/security, quiet, weather, and maintenance issues traded for a bit less ramble room. I will do an update on this topic. I think we are going to try the NoOdor.com product- seems to be worth a shot.

8. kitphantom

Update when you've used it for a while, please.
    While the floral (or freshly serviced porta-potti, depends on who described it at the strongest) odor is down to a dull roar, it'd be nice to really get rid of it. Having the carpeting and seats cleaned again a couple of weeks ago helped. I have another new cabin filter for DH to install tomorrow. (I know how to change it, but this one requires hands that are larger and stronger than mine are.)

9. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

How to avoid the off gassing? Buy a used trailer that is done off gassing.

When you buy new, it will take a while.

10. kitphantom

New or used, camper or vehicle, can each have pitfalls. Our first, used, pup turned out to have hidden mildew, which we finally found and eradicated when we renovated it. (Both of us are asthmatic and allergic to molds and mildews.) Our second one was new-old-stock, so much of the outgassing was done. TT was so new we had to wait for it to arrive from the factory, we knew we'd have to deal with new odors.
    Our NTU truck is nice, but it sure would have been far nicer if the added scent had not happened. New car smell is less annoying.

11. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Yes, I will. We are also considering a charcoal filter for the ac. this company sells them in cut to fit pieces. In addition to removing dust, they replace the dust-catching OE filters and provide much more odor removal. They also make products for the home and auto. We are going to try the trailer first and go from there. If it works, we will likely try the home and auto also.

On another related note, we found a neat website that provides information on "air purifying" plants. The site claims that Gerber daisies and Bamboo palms do a great job with many common VOCS. We are investigating this, too. Wouldn't that be a "win, win"! We like the idea of adding beauty, color, and interest while also cleaning the air in our home and trailer. http://inhabitat.com/infographic-best-plants-for-removing-indoor-toxins/

12. ChocoChock01

Why not get an air ionization unit like ORECK or similar?
    Works for the house and office on all types of odors. Just get one that is large enough for the area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

13. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

That's a good idea - Maybe for the house though. We are looking for solutions in the trailer that do not mean another piece of equipment taking up space and storage.

14. webhannet

webhannet Member

With all the hidden places inside walls etc., nothing can reach the out-gassed chemicals "before its time". You can't draw them to the exposed surface through the walls, floor, etc. It takes time.

Your best defense is to keep fresh air moving through the cabin area. A fantastic fan with a rain cover can be run day and night without too much noise - and even when the trailer is stored (if you have power).

A product may claim it removes the gasses, but probably only in a small test area.

My own personal test, as a person with a few allergies etc.: When my teeth ache - I get out. This happens often in dry cleaners. I also had it happen in a NTM motorhome that was 10 years old. The culprit was cedar paneling in the closet - I now know I'm reactive to cedar oil. I got up in the middle of the night and ripped it out. No more aching teeth.

15. Astro

Astro New Member

Well Featherfam, I looked into the No Odor product and it sounds good. For $18 shipped I bought one. We will see how it goes. We have a 15 month old baby so I am all for reducing any formaldehyde emissions. Though after a recent trip I noticed some smell inside the trailer of the black tank, which is not pleasant, so I'm really buying it for that too. The smell was gone yesterday when I went to check on it in the storage unit but still if this gets rid of everything it says it does, for $18, it's worth it. I like the fact that you can reuse it.

16. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Since our TT is new, we ordered the formaldehyde specific product and a carbon filter for the ac. We spoke with the company; they were very helpful. They recommended the formaldehyde product for the new unit and the rv/camper product for older units that have off-gassed most of the formaldehyde and other chemicals from laminates and wood products. They felt we we do best with a minimum of three pouches for our 23'x8' box. We went for four. If they do not work, it is a hit, but we feel pretty confident they they are going to help. Most of research points towards a decent product line with this company. It will either work, or we will take one for the team. We have used carbon filters with great success, so we fell certain that it will help the ac. We will definitely keep the thread updated.

17. JT2

JT2 Member

No matter how much you hide or mask the odor, the source of the outgassing -- the chemicals in the wood panels and plastics -- continues to emit it until all the VOCs, etc. are all gone. As others said above, it'll take a while.
    One trick to hasten the reduction is to leave the camper set up and open in the sun...for maybe a week. The heat will hasten the evaporation of the nasties, and the openness will let the odor out. Doing this will shorten your waiting period but not by much. It's gonna' stink 'til it doesn't.

JT

18. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

True. This company claims that their product does not "mask" the odors. They say that it actually cleans/removes the vocs from the air. These units never really finish off-gassing, so we will always use something to mitigate the impact. We shall see. With our health issues, we are willing to try.

19. windjammer

windjammer Rather be Camping. "All that wonder are not lost!"

Wonder if companies like Servpro, etc. clean up after water, etc damage has any recommendations?

20. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Don't cha kinda harken for the carefree good old days when stuff was probably killin ya but you didn't even realize it....???