Formaldehyde Smell, Dangerous Vapor and VOCS

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by niagarafam, Aug 27, 2016.

1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

^ YUP...waiting for the day they say toothpaste causes cancer [}:)]

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

3. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We cleaned the Jay Bird today, and we are having camp side yard this weekend. We put out 4 of the Smelleze formaldehyde formula bags and added a carbon filter to the ac. We shall see. We will let you know. We also treated our black tank with a Walex Commando pouch and Walex lemon enzyme for the gray. Hopefully, everything will be nice and fresh! We are going to get a couple of "air cleaning" plants, too (bamboo palm, gerber daisy). Both are supposed to be VOC absorbers.

4. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Update: Even though we noticed an immediate improvement in the air quality with it, the carbon filter was too dense for the AC's air intake. So we went back to the OE filter. It worked, but it did not work.

We set the Smelleze bags out in the sun all day yesterday, per instructions. You are supposed to "recharge" them once a week by setting them in the sun for a day or zapping them in the microwave. The odors are diminishing. The bathroom is virtually odor free (at least to our olfactory). The living space still has odor, but it seems to be on the decline. We are going to have the trailer closed up this week with the Smelleze in place. We will see how things are next weekend - more later.

5. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Only causes cancer in rats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

6. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

'Only causes cancer in rats".... but how many rats actually brush their teeth ?????

7. ChocoChock01

Everytime they crawl inside the engine of a BMW. They tend to like that formad... I mean insulation.[emoji1]

8. windjammer

windjammer Rather be Camping. "All that wonder are not lost!"

I thought camping centers have special filtering when someone buys an RV, prior pulling off lot?

9. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Is this true? If they do, I have no knowledge of such a process at the dealer. I do not see how that would work either since it takes time for the VOCS to off-gas. That would be pretty impressive both technologically/practically speaking and from a dealer "care" standpoint.

10. ChocoChock01

Yea, they start a campfire up wind to give that "already camping" sensation! [emoji1]

11. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Sweet! I guess they burned styrofoam for ours! Or actually, our dealer is near the landfill - maybe they was burnin' all kind of specialness. [LOL]

12. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

At the end of week two, we find a significant decrease in the intensity of VOC vapor/smell. We are going to zip her up under the cover tomorrow, so next week's smell test will be interesting. We spend an hour or more in the trailer to take in the olfactory ambience. Last night we slept in the trailer. We both smell and sense much less VOC impact. Week two's results are more dramatic than week one's were. Again, we have four Smelleze pouches distributed throughout the camper. The bathroom is dramatically improved. We have a pouch dedicated to the bathroom. We also have all of the cabinet and drawers open in an attempt to expedite the off-gassing. More Later.

13. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We have to say, the camper smell is dissipating rapidly. Today, after being closed up all day in the heat, we opened it up to check, and the smell is almost gone. It actually seems like a "fresh" clean smell is beginning to emerge. We will update again this weekend; that will be three weeks. We think the pouches may be legit.

14. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Aren't you guys supposed to be "enjoying" that new camper smell ?

15. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

I suppose that is a true for some, but we do not find it all that appealing when we know the source of the "new" smell, especially in an enclosed small space. We have a number of respiratory and head ache triggers that we deal with, and the VOCS do not help. Got nothing against someone wanting to vape in the "new." It is just not for us. It is actually starting to smell nice and clean - That's what we like! We are enjoying our new toy in lots of other ways. :)

16. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger. Let it air out!

17. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

How often are you actually in the camper? There are plenty of other things in our lives that are killing us far faster than any outgassing of a portable house we sleep in on occasional weekends.

18. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We are not concerned about being "killed" by the vapors. We do not enjoy the runny noses, weeping eyes, sneezing, head aches, and nausea that VOCS cause in us. We really intended this thread to be a shared inquiry and an investigation with others who may be interested in or also experience allergic responses or are annoyed by VOC off-gassing. Yes, we know that we can air it out, and we do. Thanks for the suggestions, gang. We are not looking for opinionated innuendo, snark, or mocking commentary and advice. You can start another thread of your own that slams allergy neurotics. For anyone interested in our off-gassing absorbers, we will keep you posted. It is going well!

19. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Sorry I totally missed your intent then. The subject of the thread references "Dangerous" vapors, and other comments you've made about "knowing the source of the smell" etc. seemed to indicate that you were worried about permanent health damage, not temporary symptoms.

No offense intended.

20. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Thank you, tfischer! No offense taken, I am just protecting our thread. With web-based type communication, we lack a full assessment of tone and intent with our words. I was not sure. I have experienced the highjacking of my threads and other members' threads. Most of us are pretty thoughtful about that in the Portal Neighborhood. That's what makes the PUP Portal so awesome. There is a decency to this forum that is hard to find. I wanted to prevent this thread from getting goofed up. I have noticed that it does not take much for a member's inquiry or exploration to get turned into "peanut gallery" snark or personal rants. I was trying to preserve this thread for anyone who may share our concern and interest. I really appreciate your clarification.

To your point: We are concerned about both long term and short term ramifications of concentrated exposure to VOCS. That is just us. We are not preaching or campaigning for anything, just trying to mitigate a the impact of something in our lives that we believe to be detrimental. We were writing to share this with others who may connect in some way/to some degree. In our home, we have experienced marked health benefits/improvements (decrease and/or elimination of symptoms and off of meds) from our air and water filtration efforts. We have become health conscious individuals who enjoy learning and pursuing a healthy lifestyle. We are not at all political or judgmental about it as we know that we have never been perfect, nor will we ever be perfect - this side of Glory. But we are trying to salvage what we can with what we have left in our bodies and our minds in what has been a fairly "hard life" to this point, especially for me - decades of neglect taking a toll. We are grateful to have the Portal as a friendly place to explore even health matters through our camper and our love of camping! :)