Formaldehyde Smell, Dangerous Vapor and VOCS

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by niagarafam, Aug 27, 2016.

1. bflentje

bflentje Member

I do have to say, the forums here are very friendly and tame and often very informational as compared to most other forums. If you're sensitive to trolls, hijacks, snarkiness, etc I highly recommend you stay away from the forums at geocaching.com. Jeepers, after a short visit there I have to come here just to wind down.

2. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Just set the Smelleze pouches out in the sun for their weekly recharge. We have to say, neither DW nor I smell anything other than fresh air in the trailer. We opened the windows this morning; there is virtually no VOC smell in the trailer after being closed up again all week. We think there may be some efficacy to the little pouches. We will go another week. That will make one month. If they are doing the trick, we will just keep them in the unit, and put them in the sun to recharge each week, per manufacturer instructions. We will give the one month report next weekend and probably call it a good product if the VOC absorption benefit remains. I suppose we would need some kind of VOC air quality detector to really give it an accurate assessment, but as far as the schnoz goes, we think they work.

3. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

"I do have to say, the forums here are very friendly and tame and often very informational as compared to most other forums. If you're sensitive to trolls, hijacks, snarkiness, etc I highly recommend you stay away from the forums at geocaching.com. Jeepers, after a short visit there I have to come here just to wind down"

I couldn't agree with the above more. The people that visit here are so friendly and nice. It's always like a breath of fresh air. I feel like people are family here. I hope some day I get to meet some of ya'll.

4. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Okay, we have concluded the month long experiment with the Smelleze pouches. We are calling them a winner! We give them a solid A. We would go with an A+, but they do have one minor drawback. They emit some dusty particles that you have to vacuum or wipe up. It is not a lot, but it is enough that you do have to clean up after them. Not a big deal, but also not desirable. We are not exactly sure what the medium is. The company claims that it is completely biodegradable and harmless. We wonder if it is a form of "kitty litter." The company told us that it is a proprietary formula.

In any case, our trailer has virtually no VOC odor whatsoever. Check them out if you are looking for a way to reduce your VOC inhalation. We used four of them per NoOdor.com's recommendation (based on square footage). We are going to keep them in use; they last a very long time.
    M&K

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Cool info. Would be neat to see an experiment with two identical trailers, one with the Smelleze, one without (the 'control'). Then you know for sure if the product is working, or if the VOCs just dissipate naturally.

6. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

You are exactly right. I will say that we returned from our weekender last week with the camper smelling (profoundly) of smoke from the campfires. As an experiment, we closed up the trailer this past week with the Smelleze bags inside. When we opened it up yesterday the smoke odor was undetectable. We think the pouches are legit. In the past our trailers, including the PUP, would hold the smoke odor nearly indefinitely. We like the campfire essence, but we were curious to see what would happen with the odor absorbing pouches. At this point, I will recommend them to anyone who wants to deal with unwanted odor. They are definitely worth a try.