Fort Desoto - 2016 - are the Australian pines gone from campground?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Dave W, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Dave W

Dave W New Member

Anyone confirm this.... they removed them from "north beach" last year under mandate. Is there still tree shade in the campground spots?

2. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

Yes plenty of shade at the campground at least as of July 2015

3. hidinginthelight

hidinginthelight New Member

There were some pines left. Just went there last weekend and took a close look at the sites 1-85 that allow tents and pop-ups. There were 3 stand out sites that were shady, larger in width, and on the water and had decent privacy on the sides. #8, 9, 30. All close to the restrooms too. There were a few sites that still had Australian pines. I don't have the exact numbers, but they were somewhere between sites 1-15. Hope that helps! Other advice, no-seems are here, most active at dusk. Brings netting and bug spray. Take your kayak if you have one, you can launch straight from your campsite as long as you stay between sites 1-32. Fort de Soto, the fort itself, is free to explore, but is quick to do. We toured it in 20-30 minutes. Egmont Key has a ferry, but it is $20 per adult and runs at 10 or 11am only on weekdays. It was too expensive, do we skipped it. Ice at the camp store is $3 for 10 lbs. North Beach is gorgeous. Swim across the little channel from the beach to get to the huge sandbar.

4. equest

equest Member

I visited Fort Desoto for the first time last weekend (3 nights). We stayed in #27 and it was roomy and shaded with a slight water view and good breeze. My awning fell apart a couple trips back but I never missed it during this trip. The site was also a close walk to the bath house (the one next to the Camper's Dayroom rec room building). I certainly would love to come back for a waterfront site if booking one is ever possible. However, the sites directly across from the water front sites are just fine.

The bath house closer to the entrance to the non-pet camping area is under renovation, FYI, so be mindful when booking and ask for an update before you choose your site.