Fort McAllister SP in GA

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by The McCampers, Mar 6, 2010.

1. The McCampers

The McCampers New Member

We plan to camp at Fort McAllister State Park near Savannah in late April. Anyone have any comments on this state park or on good things to do nearby?

2. NatureGirl

NatureGirl New Member

We've never stayed at Fort McAllister, but DH and I love Savannah. We camped at Skidaway Island State Park the last time we visited. If you enjoy history and architecture, you'll love Savannah. I have some pics on my webshots page.

3. Wheat

Wheat New Member

We stayed there last year. It was nice. Go no later than April. Coastal Georgia can be brutal in the summertime. For sightseeing, Savannah was just a few miles up the road. Bring your insect repellent thou. Lots of wildlife, squirrels, deer etc. Nice biking trails. You can tour the fort.

4. Marblerun22

Marblerun22 New Member

Were going here in a few days. I'll be sure to take some pics and get a good review up.

5. Marblerun22

Marblerun22 New Member

Alright well here is the goods on this place, sorry for the delay I've been working and going to school full time so you get the picture. We recommend this campground. Family friendly, facilities are nice, great old historic fort to tour (at additional cost, a short walk or quick drive near CG), near Savannah. Kind of different about is the reservation system. You make a reservation and you don't reserve a specific campsite. You pick it upon arrival from what is still available, but all the campsites are really pretty good to be honest. A big item to note is that you have to get there by a certain time which stinks or it's no bueno. Refer to CG website on this. Here are some pics hope you enjoyed.
    First pic is on the campsite we stayed at. We got poured on for a good few hours and it flooded pretty good but didn't take long to soak so we were in dry out mode lol.
    [​IMG]
    Next pic is a photo to give a preview of some history should you choose to go lol.
    [​IMG]

6. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I know this is an old topic but I am sure some still look at this thread for information. I stayed on this park on 2008. We did not had a pupup then so we did the tent thing. It is a real good campground then and seems it still is. The only "negative" memories we have is when the racoons robbed our cooler around 2 am. I told the wife we better put that cooler in the vehicle but she said it was alright... It was a foam cooler and I heard it rip and the ice, sodas and other contents splash in the picnic table. I shined on the and not only they did not scare, I think they thanked me because now they could see where every hotdog landed... LOL! I don't blame the rascals...

7. oldstick

oldstick New Member

Roger that on the above. Great campground, as is Skidaway Island with salt water fishing docks on site too. But beware the raccoons and secure all your food. They will invade your site en masse as soon as it turns dark. Even with you are sitting right there by the fire.

8. ktsmom

ktsmom One Happy Camper!

I had to laugh when I read your posts about the racoons at Ft. McAllster SP. They brought back bittersweet memories of my old faithful dog, Sandy. Her last camping trip with me was to Ft. McAllister. A few friends joined us with their campers and dogs too. While we were all sitting at one camp playing cards, all the dogs were lying down relaxing except my 15 yr old dog, Sandy. She was barking and being very restless. We looked at her to see she was raising a ruckus towards my campsite across the roadway. As I walked over to my campsite, a large racoon jumped out of my cooler, throwing cheese and meat everywhere. I screamed like a little girl! Scared the life out of me! The racoon ran towards the woods, stopped, turned around, ran back for some meat he dropped, then ran back into the woods. After I gathered what was left of my dignity, I praised Sandy for being the oldest but only dog that actually tried to protect our campsite. We still laugh about me jumping about 5 feet off the ground when that racoon popped up out of that cooler!

9. oldstick

oldstick New Member

Now that would have been a sight!! :)

Similar experience for us. We stayed there on a couple occasions. The first time it was just me and two of the kids 10 or so years ago. Early January and near freezing temps. We had seen one or two raccoons down near the fishing dock late evening. After dark we had a good fire going but no external lights on at first. Kept hearing some noises in the trees then around the picnic table right beside us so we picked up the flashlights. There were at least 3 or 4 on the table trying to get at the food bags. Shined the lights around some more and several coons were sipping water out of the leaky faucet at the site.

So that it keeps it high on my list of favorites for future visits with the grandkids....