Fort Mountain State Park in Chatsworth, GA -- Any reviews?

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by dussiej, Jan 7, 2013.

1. dussiej

dussiej New Member

I'm planning a guys trip for 4 - 5 of us in the late winter/early spring - say around the end of February, and I want get some opinions on Fort Mountain State Park in Chatsworth, GA.

Are the sites nice? Are sites wide open, or is it at least a little wooded between sites? Fishing nearby? Clean bathhouses? Firewood readily available already split for a charge? Water/Electric hookups?

I trust this forum to give me the real deal. Any help is much appreciated. I'm also considering Chester Frost Park in Hixson, TN, so if you care to contrast the two or just give some added information, I'd love that as well.

Thanks all! Justin

2. dussiej

dussiej New Member

Okay... So I've read a few times about the monsterous hill you have to go up to get to Fort Mountain SP. Now, I've never been there, so I would like to know how bad it actually is. I have a 1996 Coleman Santa Fe that weighs about 3200 lbs loaded, and I'm towing with a 2006 Ford Explorer V6 2WD. I'm planning to go end of February or beginning of March. Am I going to have any problems getting up or down the hill?

3. swamphammock

swamphammock New Member

Well, I don't know the area well, but I may have something to help. I have heard the trail to the summit was pretty tough, but not about the road. Most of the parks I have been to are pretty easy to get to as far as the drive in. I like to look on google and check with DOT office locally in places to find out the steepest grade on a road I plan to drive if I have some concerns. Might be a start. Also, I call the local Georgia State Patrol Posts or DNR Ranger district office. I don't remember which post handles that area, but try GSP in Blue Ridge or Calhoun and see if they cover that area. If you speak with a trooper, he/she can give you a very good heads up. I am sure they have been on the road!

4. dussiej

dussiej New Member

Very nice, swamphammock. Only a Marine would think it through that way, but an awesome way to get information. I'm going to give that a shot!

5. murchman

murchman New Member

Heading to Fort Mountain for Easter weekend, I will post my thoughts soon after.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

This is my home town and local park. I can't say much bad about the park. Alot of outdoor activities within the park, Mnt bike/hiking trails, Horse back riding, putt putt, small lake with a beach and paddle boat rental, volley ball, horseshoe pits. Alot of events going on througout the summer. There is alot of history to learn about our whole area. It is a pull to get to the park from Chatsworth but not as steep as coming fom Ellijay. If you feel your tv is being pushed to its limits on flat terrain I wouldn't pull up anything that says Mnt. Electric brakes would be recommended. The camping is decently spaced apart an rather nice. Some have cable hookup. All details can be found at gastateparks.org. Its a quiet peacfull place and is generaly 5 degree cooler than the valley. Its about 7 mile from Chatsworth. Not a Wallmart in this town but a few Grocery stores, Dollar stores, Gas stations, Fast food, Auto parts stores ect. A few good sit down reastraunts id recomend- Edna's restraunt 1.5mile south of hwy 52 on hwy 411 good homestlye cooking. Sierra's mexican 1/2 mile south of hwy 52 also on hwy 411. Big V 3/4 mile north of hwy 52 on hwy 411 best burgers in town. Hope this helps

7. gk4n6guy

gk4n6guy New Member

Hi Riverrat,

I live in Florida and have a trip to Ft. Mountain planned for August and have a few concerns about towing up steep inclines with my setup. After reading your comments, I decided to call the park to ask about the grade. The gentleman on the phone said the incline from the Ellijay side is longer and lower (less steep) than the Chatsworth approach. Is he right?
    Thanks for any advice!

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

On paper yes coming from Ellijay is little longer and less grade. In reality not so much. A very short section almost near the top seems to be a bit steeper. They both are gona be very similar. If you can pull one you can pull the other. Ellijays elevation is slightly higher than Chatsworth so the grade will be less by the math invoved. I wouldn't drive any extra miles just to think the pull up would be better. Several pulloffs coming from Chatsworth so you can always go slow enjoy the view and pull over if you feel pressured from impatient motorist. Its mosty the braking instead of towing when traveling mountains. You should enjoy your stay at the park. Its worth a visit for sure. Usualy activities during the day an peacefull at nite. Were heading from the mountians to the beach in Aug lol.

9. gk4n6guy

gk4n6guy New Member

Thanks for the reply. We'll be coming from Black Rock SP in the northeast, so the Ellijay side is actually a closer approach. Driving around to Chatsworth would have been extra work, so if each approach offers essentially the same challenge, I'll just stick with the Ellijay side. Thanks again and enjoy your trip to the beach!

10. RetAF

RetAF Member

If you can make the climb into Black Rock State Park, you can make just about any climb! [:O]

11. Babiaca

Babiaca New Member

,we just got back from Fort Mountain. Our pop-up completely blew all lift cables and wound up in a tent (crying no less) but that's a different story!
    We did find the drive up on the Ellijay side was more steep so we came down on the Chatsworth side. It was more winding but less steep. It added a little time to our return trip but was worth it to not smell my brake pads when we got down the mountain!

12. joelmyer

joelmyer Member

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/georgia/chatsworth

We've been there in the 5er pulled by a Dodge One Ton Diesel.

Had no problems getting up there from Chatsworth. It was a beautiful drive.

Site wise it's a lot like a Georgia State Park.

February/March I've have a backup plan in case of snow.