Fort Pickens About to Reopen FINALLY!!

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Nani2, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

During this virus we have had four trips to Fort Pickens canceled.
    Each time they extended the closure, we booked for a few weeks later only to have it canceled. Sometimes the extended closure was announced on Monday for reservations that weekend. It happened to one of our reservations over Memorial Weekend and we scrambled to find something else available.
    Finally a week ago they cancelled all August and September reservations and stated that 21 sites in Loop A would be available to book. We had 8 nights booked in Loop A but no way to keep it. I was so aggravated at what had been going on I said I would not book until they actually opened and I knew I would be able to go.
    Well, never say never. I saw on Facebook yesterday booking was open and we are going in September!!!! We had been booked for late August, but I think weather will be cooler in September and it works better for our son and his wife to meet us. We already had the week approved for vacation to Disney/Sea World but this will be fun.
    Some sites are still available but weekends are pretty booked if anyone is interested.
    Fingers crossed they actually open.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Good luck and hope it works out for you. Here in TX we are in a big hot spot. Just heard that we had the 2nd highest number of deaths reported today too, at 31. Had some good friends that had it go through their family after the kids brought it home from church camp too. They seem to have gotten over it, but unsure on any long term issues.

Stay safe on your trip! I am looking forward to being able to camp next season - even our upcoming scout activities are questionable this fall.

3. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

I'm wondering if we will get to camp at Fort Pickens this year.
    We should be going next week, but Sally has other ideas. The campground is closing tomorrow at 9 am until further notice.
    I looked back and Laura closed it from Monday to Saturday last month. We were originally booked to have checked in the Saturday prior but they canceled for covid. I was aggravated but now glad we didn't drive 7 hours to set up Saturday and evacuate Monday.
    I'm debating whether I hope for the best or look into a plan B. Keeping and homeschooling 3 grands makes it hard to pack and shop during the week. Tomorrow I need to get things done.
    I feel for you all on the coast.

4. K_and_I

K_and_I Member

My son's family and DW and I have reservations in Loop C for first week of Oct after having our May reservations cancelled. Let's hope Sally doesn't mess this up.

5. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

You should be fine unless another storm hits.
    We were supposed to check in Saturday but they are now closed till Monday. I'm not confident they will open then so looking at booking a condo on the beach somewhere. This is our fifth attempt at Pickens this year.
    Hope you get to go. It's beautiful there.

6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I use to get to Pensacola a few times a year, for a little over two years while my DD was in the navy flight school. We could never get in that CG, we alway stayed at blue lagoon sp.

I had 5 reservations cancelled by ohio state
    3 were ar the same camp ground, at a camp site that is none electric. So we only had a small window that we could use it before we needed AC. Ohio keep changing when they were opening. Very frustrating.

I finally made reservations in Indiana to get out camping. But since july ohio has been open.

7. K_and_I

K_and_I Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm keeping an eye on Ft. Pickens. There's still time for it to open, but it seems like it got hit with a lot of water. If we can't go there, we will look for the Smokeys or North GA- or some where- got to get out again before winterizing.

8. K_and_I

K_and_I Member

Well, just received my cancellation email from Ft. Pickens, which is to remain closed until at least Oct. 31. The new search begins, potentially complicated by Teddy and Wilfred.

9. tarynerwin

tarynerwin New Member

Did you get cancelled? We were booked here the first week of October as well and they cancelled our reservations. Very sad:(

10. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We ended up getting a condo in Destin last week. We followed coverage of Sally and finally booked Friday noon and packed and left a few hours later. I follow the Gulf Islands National Seashore on Facebook and saw it would be closed and thought of you and wondered how long it would take to notify you of the closure. I have seen closures posted on FB and not received email for 3-4 days and site was still allowing you to book. They had cancelled our first two nights but said they would open Monday which was doubtful. They have posted on FB that season starts in less than six months and they hope to have repairs done by then. Yet you can book a stay arriving Nov.2 now.
    Good luck finding something in the Smokies. We saw a few available sites at Townsend KOA but by the time husband got time off approved they were gone. I keep stalking but nothing.
    This year covid has made it very difficult to actually use our vacation time. Cruise cancelled, campgrounds cancelled, theme parks closed then mask mandate, I WILL NOT DO A STAYCATION Lol

11. tarynerwin

tarynerwin New Member

There is a nice campground in Townsend called Little River Campground. They may have some openings. We have not stayed there under these owners, but they have made improvements and it looks very nice. It still sits on the same river that KOA and all of the other campgrounds in Townsend are on. Good Luck!!

12. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We stayed at Little River when it was Tuckaleechee. We prefer the KOA because the bathhouses are much much nicer and air conditioned, it has a pool, and playground for littles, and river is better there. I'm in a FB group that says spots at LR are very close. We had stayed in the tent section when we stayed there and did not pay attention to camper spots. A place we do like is Jellystone in Pigeon Forge. We stayed there when it was Bear Cove Village. Spots are not as crammed in as some places. It has two pools and bathhouses are nice. It also has a few trailers set up you can rent. I booked a cabin at KOA for daughter's family when they went with us and they would have enjoyed the camper more for just a tiny bit more money.
    Good luck finding something!

13. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

I saw on a Pensacola Beach FB page that they expect Fort Pickens to be closed for 8 months. So sad.

14. K_and_I

K_and_I Member

Sorry to be so late responding- life has been busy. We did locate a campsite on the north side of the Smokys for a week. Most places were booked up, but we found one site open. We looked at the Townsend KOA, and they did have one site, but it was their deluxe one, and cost over $100 a day- not for me. Retirement flexibility does have its benefits. [;)]