Fort Wilderness

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Nani2, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We are going to Disney next month. We have reservations at a Disney hotel, but I'm considering staying at the Fort. There are sites available for my dates.
    We are rope drop people and I'm wondering how crowded the bath house is in the morning.
    Then, how long does it take to get to the main bus stop to the parks or is it easier to drive?
    We have APs and go often so if I don't get in next month there will be other chances. We'll be there in November and January or February. Is there a "best" time to camp there? We'll be there in May but I think that would be too hot.
    Do you all camp there when doing the parks or is it more staying there and enjoying the campground? We have done many trips without going into the theme parks and stay at the resort or do waterparks.
    I'm just looking for info on popup camping there. It's a whole new world.......

2. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I go to FW twice a year. The bath houses are never very crowded. Only two loops for pop ups 1500 and 2800. 2800 is farthest from the dock. About a 7 minute bike ride. A little longer for the bus. There's a direct boat from FW to the main gate at magic kingdom from the settlement. I don't remember the times for departue, but its about a 15 minute boat ride, so get there a little early. Ask at the gate or there may be a schedule in your check-in brochure.

Wait a minute! I just remembered the "rope drop" doesn't happen any more outside the gate. It's a show in front of the castle at a certain time, at the hub, then the various lands are opened.

We ride our bikes to the ferry boat. If you have a stroller, then you'll need to wait on one of the many buses that ply the routes around the campground. Easy to figure out after you've camped there a night. Only two main roads that connect settlement to outpost.

3. tzmartin

One of the portal members, Orchid, is a serious "fort fiend". Shoot her a message if you need more info. I love the fort!!!

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. tzmartin

You asked about best times. We love October and February. Depends on what you're looking for. We will often go for one week but only hit the parks 2-3 days. We'll hang at the pool or the beach to relax. We also go to universal but are based at FW. Crowd calendars on undercover tourist are helpful as well.

5. gatorbait

gatorbait Upstate, SC

We were there last oct. It was cooler and much less humid but we still needed the AC. I believe the busses start at 7 and run every 15 min. There's a bus stop at every loop so its a quick walk. From the fort a bus takes you to the lake and a ferry takes you over to MK. I believe the ferry runs every 30 min. If you are going to another park the bus takes you to a bus station where you take another bus to whatever park you like. It's very efficient and the busses are nice and air conditioned. I believe they still charge you the $20 parking fee even if you are staying at a resort. We were in the 2800 loop which is the last bus stop so it was a quick trip. I recommend the bus system.

The bath houses are very nice and super clean. It was not crowded anytime we went and i never had to wait. Search for my review I wrote earlier this year on it.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Good to know ,as I might be taking this trip next year!

7. equest

equest Member

I can’t imagine the bathhouses being very crowded. They certainly were not when I went. As an aside, they are the nicest bath houses you will ever experience
    Pop ups are in the minority. Many of the “campers” who have TTs or big motor coaches take advantage of the full hookups and do not use the bath houses.