Found a pop up.... no TV

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Piscesmama, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Piscesmama

Piscesmama New Member

My family is new to camping, have 2 little kids, and finally feel ready to take them out. I found a pop up I think would be perfect for us and was ready to buy, and then realized that both my SUV and my husbands don't have the towing capacity. I just assumed that they would, but my CRV and his RDX can only tow 1500. I'm so upset, I was very excited to start camping this summer, especially with everything going on. I've been looking into it, and it seems that it's hard/expensive to rent a truck to tow a camper. We are both only 1 year into our 3 year leases. Does anyone have any tips?? I really had my heart set on this camper and was so excited to tell the kids. I was going to get the Rockwood 1940LTD, which is dry weight 1557, gross weight 2348.

2. lilpott

lilpott Member

I know this is extra but can you rent a car for a couple days? Maybe on Turo rental cars?

Blackripley likes this.
  3. Piscesmama

Piscesmama New Member

From what I've seen online, it looks like rental companies don't want you towing anything with their cars, except for specific uhaul trucks that are over $300 per day. If someone knows of a company that does, let me know!

chick-a-go and Orchid like this.
  4. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

You can always tent for now....I wouldn't let not having a camper keep
    you from camping.

5. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

If you only go local, maybe you can find a cheap older vehicle to tow the pop up with?

Bobbi and raising4daughters like this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Or go to the ace you leased from, they may help you to trade up one of your vehicals. Depends of they have stock on hand. If there making more $$$ off the deal they will do it.

7. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

Do you have the budget to buy an older truck/bigger tow car? Could you find one for around $4000, keep it as a 3rd vehicle that only tows the pop-up. Keep it to short trips/close to home campgrounds.
    Do you have a really good friend that would take your pup to the campground, then bring it home again when you are ready? Again, stay close to home, so they don't have to drive very far and pay them in some way.
    Also, don't pass up on the pup, buy it anyway. You can do camp driveway, kids love that. You only have 2 years until you can sort out a bigger tow vehicle, those 2 years will fly by.

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Renting a truck everytime you go camping would be very expensive. The rental would be about 150 per day. The campsite about 50 per night. Why not rent a cabin at a campground or in the mountains. We rented condos when my kids were in diapers. When they were toddlers, we had two ten man tents. Slept in one tent and kept our stuff in the other. Started with air mattresses and then camp cots. Was a great time. Moving to the popup was great. Thinking of going back to the condo/cabins now.

chick-a-go, Orchid and xxxapache like this.
  9. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

3rd vehicle incurs annual registration and insurance costs, it all adds up. And you need a place to park it which won't annoy the neighbors. And it needs maintenance from time to time ($).

One of your vehicles needs to be the TV, unless you have extra $ and space for vehicle #3. We use a Jeep Liberty KK model (2008) because it was cheap, holds a good amount of stuff, 4WD, and best of all, it fits in the garage. It Seats 5. A lot of modern SUVs are really too big for a garage (i..e, the latest Ford Explorer) , and pickups definitely are too big for a garage. Our other car is a 1992 Miata - its still fun.

10. Piscesmama

Piscesmama New Member

We don't really have the room for a 3rd vehicle, which I did consider, but I don't think my husband would be on board. Aside from not really having room, he can be very nitpicky and probably would not want to take a chance on a very cheap used one. I did email the dealer about the possibility of a pull ahead program to get a bigger car, so we'll see what they say.

Part of me still wants to get the camper anyway. Tent camping won't work... my husband has NEVER camped before, so honestly even the pop up is a bit of a stretch.

Blackripley likes this.
  11. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

chick-a-go likes this.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I wouldn't spend that much on a raised tent - especially for a family that doesn't want to camp in a tent. And as they don't identify the GVWR or CCC in pounds, I suspect it isn't that useful as a utility trailer.

For the OP, remember that a lot of your desire is "manufactured" due to the pandemic. You're going stir crazy and want to get out. Understandable. But buying a popup you can't tow is not going to solve that.

Wait to see if the dealer can work with you on a better tow vehicle. If not, then maybe you need to take a step back.

Things to consider: a camper needs maintenance. a camper needs repairs. As you are both leasing vehicles, it sounds like you don't enjoy dealing with mechanical stuff. What about electrical and plumbing? What about maintenance on axles and tires (bearings, etc.)?

Will the camper have a toilet? If so what type? Are you prepared for the emptying of that toilet? If not, are you prepared for public restrooms?

What about setup and takedown? Is your husband willing to help with that? If not, are you prepared to do it all yourself?

Have you read up (or know) about power needs? Will you need the AC for the little ones? Are you prepared to camp only with electric hookups to be able to use the AC? Or are you willing and able to invest in an inverter generator? Are you willing to maintain that generator?

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just reminding you of all the work involved with a camper - especially as it doesn't appear your husband is too keen on it.

13. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

what you need is a destination/activity that would be a very strong incentive for your hubby to go camping. For sure don’t spend bucks on a camper or a bunch of new camping gear unless you are willing to camp without him, and he is OK with that

raising4daughters likes this.
  14. Piscesmama

Piscesmama New Member

Thank you, I completely agree with everything you said. My husband has zero experience camping, either tent or RV camping. I think he would help out with set up, but neither of us know anything about any of it yet. When I was younger, I used to go camping in a small RV regularly, but I was not involved in the set up. Definitely maintenance wise, we are not able to do any of that ourselves, so that is a concern. I agree that the whole thing is manufactured due to the current circumstances, although I do at some point want to explore RV camping of some kind. My kids are still somewhat little, so it's not crazy to wait a little bit before committing to any kind of camper, and at that point we can change our lease to something that could tow more weight.

15. Piscesmama

Piscesmama New Member

Yes, very true. I wouldn't really mind camping without him, but was hoping it would be a family activity. I think he might actually like it, but I definitely agree, I'd have to figure out something that would get him excited enough to want to participate.

16. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

Here are 2 options I would like to propose.
    First, rent a small RV and try it out RV camping. Near me, there is a campground that rents Airstream trailers to stay in. Try looking up a KOA or the like in the area you would like to camp.
    [​IMG]
    Second is car camping, where you stuff your car to the brim with all the comforts of a trailer plus a tent and camp next to the car.
    I'm talking BIG cabin tent, full-size cots or inflatable beds, cooler stuffed with goodies, and cooktop.
    [​IMG]

chick-a-go likes this.
  17. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I would try renting something first. In your case, this would provide a good walk through of the actual camping aspect. The camper will be in good shape, so you won't have to deal with issues. It will give you an idea of what the actual camping process will be. You can find rentals that are already setup at the campground - and some will bring it out, set it up, and take it away after. Look at all the options.

Then do your research on maintenance and trouble shooting. Regardless of what you end up getting, this is the biggest concern. If you can't or are unwilling to take on maintenance and repair work yourselves, you are adding a lot of expense to your plan. Also, you will be at the mercy of repair shops for time. If you discover a problem three days before a trip, you may need to cancel.

You can also try renting a cabin or yurt and just getting out to see if everyone will enjoy the outdoors. Do this for a season and then you can look at options.

If you don't mind going to the same place every time, you can look into a regular trailer and having it put on a seasonal site. Some places will even store it off season.

There are a ton of options available to fit your wants and needs - some less labor intensive than buying a camper.

Rockwood_Freedom and Blackripley like this.
  18. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Since the tow vehicles are so limited in capacity, you may want to look into renting an rv...they're pricey though. But it may get your husband into the camping scene.

chick-a-go likes this.
  19. Piscesmama

Piscesmama New Member

I definitely agree on the renting- the issue is with the current situation. My husband works in the medical field and is not comfortable renting anything right now... which is why I thought the pop up idea might work, since we would be somewhat self contained and could take little vacations without having to rent or get a hotel. But you all definitely bring up some other issues with the idea that I need to think about

20. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

One good thing about having a camper is that it is only your germs and no bedbugs.