Found a pop up.... no TV

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Piscesmama, Jul 30, 2020.

1. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

Is your hubby, or are you, handy with tools?
    When getting into a used popup you should have some spirit of adventure about that. If you think a Popup is something you take out camping, put it away in the drive or wherever, and have no worries in between then you may be surprised. Try reading some of the maintenance threads/ folders here, to see what you are getting into. Many have water systems; electrical, propane for stove,etc. Think of it as a "tiny house" but not as sturdily built.
    If getting an adequate Tow Vehicle is not in the cards this is likely not the Popup for you. Some can be found that are rather lightweight but if reasonably priced, may be rather old. Older= more maintenance. Mine is right around 1500 lbs, but that is only due to being partially "stripped" of its kitchen.
    Good luck to you.

Rempop likes this.
  2. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Active Member

I have the same model as the one your looking at (mine is actually the 1640 which is a foot shorter). It doesn’t have a bathroom or shower, so it’s not exactly like a travel trailer. I would try to make sure your family is into camping before buying something.

If you have any questions on the trailer, let me know.

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. nt40lanman

nt40lanman Member

Definitely start with a small rental of some kind, even a cabin at a campground to see how much everyone likes the outdoors, the cooking, etc.

Then maybe a family member or friend has a TV you can borrow once in a while until you figure out if you like camping and can work out the vehicle situation.

4. raising4daughters

raising4daughters Member

I'd be shocked if the car dealer wouldn't let you trade in your CRV for a Pilot if you start a new lease with them. That would give you plenty of TV for a PUP the size you're discussing. I towed one roughly that size with a minivan and later a trailblazer.

5. jodiegirl66

jodiegirl66 New Member

6. jodiegirl66

jodiegirl66 New Member

Wait on purchase! I found a Coleman Destiny in great condition which I pull with my 4 cyl VW station wagen, no problems! Dry weight is 1,225.

7. steve0617

steve0617 New Member

Enterprise rental has a truck rental arm. They have hitches and allow towing but without the huge per mile cost that uhaul has. See if they’re where you are.

8. blarick

blarick New Member

Keep it simple...get a large family tent get two air mattresses and a camp stove. Everything else you can scrounge from the house. Bedding coolers food. Find a campsite and go. Expect an adventure, meaning Murphy’s law. Weather will be bad, food will get ruined kids will get into something tent will fall down...that’s the fun, that’s the memories. Do that a couple of weekends theme you’ll know if the family will build the memories.

9. Paul Larson

Paul Larson New Member

We just purchased a 1996 Coleman Laredo that comes in at 945 Lbs. Yeh, it needs some remodeling but we are going to remove more cabinets and the propane stove along with replace the table with a lightweight one to get it down to 850 or more. Very easy to pull with our Honda Element (tows up to 1500 lbs.) but this will take some work. It sleeps 4 people.

10. Alan

Alan Active Member

I'm in this camp...I'm very much a first things first type of person and a do-it-yourselfer; it sounds like your husband is not. Try camping before going out and buying something you cannot use and may not enjoy. Toedtoes has a lot of common sense, which in my opinion is wise.

Toedtoes likes this.
  11. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

Before buying a pup, I would try either getting a tent or renting a cabin. Plenty of state parks have cabins and yurts, etc., as well as private campgrounds.
    Obviously, if you're worried about germs, etc., then tenting is the best option without costing a lot of money. Only problem is, people that don't like to camp, usually really don't like tent camping.

Rik Peery likes this.
  12. SebRain

SebRain New Member

I'll chime in here. If the deal in the pop-up is good for you, I'd just get it and ask the seller if there is a possibility for him/her to deliver it to your place. Or you could ask a friend for a favor. This will make it easier for you to get acquainted with it.

From there, as others have said, start with camping in your own driveway. Kids will be over the moon. And, should something go haywire, you are just by the house.

As for the tow vehicle, you could search for a lighter pop-up. You could also install brakes on the pop-up. The tow rating for the CRVs in Europe is 3300 pounds with a braked trailer. I know I might get slapped on the hand for bringing this up...

If all else fails, you can re-sell the pop-up for what you paid for, or very close to it.

It's worth the shot if you ask me.

Good luck!
    Seb

Rik Peery likes this.
  13. aleym

aleym New Member

"my husband has NEVER camped before"
    Why the hell did you marry him?:laugh:[:D][::)]

Jack Sprat likes this.
  14. Jack Sprat

Jack Sprat Active Member Gold Supporting Member

I know you don't want to, but I would start out tent camping this fall while it is cooler. ( No A/C). You can get a reasonable size tent, camp stove, lantern/light etc... Before you spend a lot of $$$ to see how the family adapts. If you have their hearts onboard, their minds will follow. We tent camped for many years, besides we were a military family on E-4 pay in the 70's. We couldn't afford a PUP and a TV. Our kids were little (2&4). We always had a good time. Be sure to get a sight with electric and water. You will need electric for the blender to make Margaritas after the youngins go to bed. I'm just saying ...make the family likes to camp before making an investment. Besides once your hubby see other campers and talks to them he may come around. Keep in mind that most play grounds at CG's are closed.

15. chick-a-go

chick-a-go New Member

Depending on where you are.... in some cities, REI rents camping gear, so you can try it out without having to buy everything. You might find friends or even civic organizations that would loan gear. It is a big investment to fully outfit camping unless you are sure you will use it long term.

16. chick-a-go

chick-a-go New Member

Keep in mind that COVID can only survive on surfaces and fabrics ... maybe a couple of days max. Much less when exposed to sunlight. So if things can sit and "air" for even a short period between users, you should be safe.

17. chick-a-go

chick-a-go New Member

There are a few other brands of pop ups that are lighter than most besides the Sylvan. Coleman made a "mini" size super light weight. I think it was called a Colorado. Another brand is the Quicksilver Livin' Lite. There are also small units like a teardrop and variations thereon - but those are probably too small for a family. These are designed to be towed by a four cylinder. There are even very basic models designed to be towed by a motorcycle. TV weight limits will decrease your selection and may increase your costs.... and you would have to be very careful about total weight. But it may not be impossible. Good luck!

eoleson1 likes this.
  18. chick-a-go

chick-a-go New Member

1) have you checked vans available through moving companies? (May not have enough seating for family.)
    2) This one is sort of 'out there'... but....if you want to commit to the camper and think you might camp at the same place frequently, some campgrounds will store your camper on-site or nearby and offer delivery to your site. So you just tell them when you are coming and you drive up and there's your camper. Not typical but it does exist. I think you'd want to be pretty committed and really like an area before doing this.

19. Piscesmama

Piscesmama New Member

Thanks everyone for your responses... I definitely see where you're coming from, I think that tent camping would make sense as a first step. To be honest, I didn't do much tent camping growing up... we would camp in a very small rented RV every year and sometimes sleep in a tent outside but we never 100% did tent camping. I have such amazing memories when I was younger at the campground, and honestly i thought it was nice having the AC in the small trailer and if it was raining, we could watch a movie... but still had the whole campground feel, riding bikes, cooking outside, etc. I'm definitely going to have to think about this more... still waiting on the numbers on my lease about upgrading to see if that's a possibility. I think the kids could get on board with any kind of camping honestly, they would be so excited.

Blackripley and Rik Peery like this.
  20. Sherronlee

Sherronlee Member

When we first started camping with kids, we bought a utility trailer. We were able to pack everything we needed/wanted to go camping inside it. The other thing to remember if you decide to go tent camping is that when you buy a tent, do not rely on their numbers. If they say it will sleep 4, be prepared for it to be good for one or two. If they say good for 8, it will really only be good for about 4. We started with a tent that was supposed to sleep 10 and there were only 3 of us. However, we wanted our kid to be able to bring a friend. Generally speaking by the time you get whatever you choose to sleep on ~ air mattress or cot or whatever ~ you lose half of the sleeping capacity and if you have kids, you will want their clothes and some toys in there too. Just remember tents never actually sleep the number of people they say they do, unless you have nothing in there but people and you sleep like sardines.

Blackripley likes this.