Found black streak remover that WORKS!

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Hoosier Daddy, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

One of the headaches that I have faced since moving to the Darkside that I never had so much trouble with on the Pup is the black streaks. My TT has the aluminum siding and a large "garage" door on the back similar to the small access doors.
    While the TT looked white, I could see the black streaks from afar but when you got up close the whole thing was, well, dingey.
    No amount of washing would remove it, Mean Green, Citrus Purple Power, even the Super Clean Degreaser didn't cut it.
    While searching solutions on another RV forum I found "LA's Totally Awesome" was recommend and carried at the local "Dollar General". It's also sold a Dollar Tree, Walmarts, and Amazon.

http://www.dollartree.com/assets/product_images/styles/large/152664.jpg

Sure enough, this stuff WORKS! At first I tested it full strength,and nothice it was turning white so I was worried about the paint. It was probably just the oxidized layer coming off but found diluting it 25% with water didn't make a much difference in how well it cleaned which was AMAZING!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

I'll have to try that on the roof of my pup. I can't ever seem to get it clean

3. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

I have used it as well, and it works great. It also works great as a bug remover for the front of the camper. Our local Dollar Tree carries it. So it's cheap and works!

4. MissLou

MissLou Member

I've used it too and it works well. However, last week I used the Awesome to clean some dark brown folding chairs and the paint came off on my cleaning cloth! I've never had that happen before but it makes me somewhat leery of using it on our TT again.

5. flash82

flash82 Member

Simply Green works like a champ too.

6. Hoosier Daddy

Yes, I noticed the white from the TT turning it a milky color so I cut it with water. 3 parts Awesome to 1 one water.
    The wost part of the process came yesterday when I decide to protect my beautiful finsh and WAXED the whole thing! I did get Turtle Wax Ice... Goes on clear and buffs easy even in the sun.

7. Hoosier Daddy

I have read reports of Simple Green turning aluminum black.... Just an FYI.

8. donnamarkcamp

donnamarkcamp New Member

We'll second that cleaner from Dollar Tree!

9. George Rose

George Rose Member

If you are not careful with totally awesome, all of your decals will be totally white, your informational stickers will be totally erased etc.... Don't bother asking how I know this....

10. Hoosier Daddy

Huh... no problem here with that, but then it's only day 3. I did 3 foot wide sections, top to bottom. Rinsing with plenty of hose water and scrubbing with a soft brush as I went. Never had to really let it soak in order to work.
    My "American Flag Swoosh" was cracked and peeling before. And the factory VIN decal was faded BAD. But the red, blue and metallic silver stripes that run the length of the TT look ... well... AWESOME.

On a side note, because we are talking faded, cracked decals... Since it is a "Spirit of America" optioned TT I am thinking of replacing this...

[​IMG]

with THIS... It's available in 24" x 40" and will just fit.

[​IMG]

11. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Did you use this on your fiberglass Roo or another camper? I have been looking for something a little more effective on the Roo-ster

12. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Jay, I have been using this on the Roo. So far it has been working great. I haven't seen the residue problem that some have. Although, I keep mine well waxed, and I think the residue is mostly oxidation from UV damage, and would come off with any good cleaner.

13. Hoosier Daddy

I used it on my smooth Filon fibreglass large rear "garage" door and the smaller storage doors with no issues.
    I assume it is the same material you smooth Roo sides are made of...
    YMMV

14. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Thanks guys, I am going to have to try some of this. After the South Dakota trip the Roo-ster really needs a bath anyway, no time like the present to try it out. The front looks like a bug graveyard. If it gets them off the trailer maybe I will use it on the front of the truck next.

15. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Wow, like scrubbing the side of a house.

16. Hoosier Daddy

Uh-Huh... then waxing the same house the next day.
    Looks wonderful but my arms were sure sore Monday when I went back to work. ;)

17. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Thanks for sharing, looks like something I'm going to have to give a try.
    Just spent all day Sat, cleaning up the NTU Kodiak Hybrid. Must say there were a few places we couldn't get the streaks off.

18. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Thanks for the info, I will pick some up at the Dollar General up the road.. Thanks for sharing