Four Mile North area in Colorado

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Overland, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Overland

Overland Active Member

I'v been researching and looking for stellar dispersed camping in Utah and Colorado for a trip i'm planning this year. I was last in Colorado in 98' and found a nice site near Taylor Canyon Reservoir. With what looks like the popularity of OHV's in Colorado nowadays i'm looking for a second location just in case..

Then I found this vid on youtube..

Anyone familiar with the above and able to guide me towards it a little better?

Considering my arrival will be after Labor Day weekend i'm hoping the OHV traffic and noise may subside by then giving some tranquility.. I realize weekends may see plenty of those who enjoy the activity and that's fine.

Appreciate any feedback..

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Colorado has become increasingly popular in the last few years. Logging roads have locked gates and the accessible areas can get crowded.
    You might have better luck in Carson National forest in Northern New Mexico.

kitphantom likes this.
  3. Overland

Overland Active Member

But it's not Colorado.. and don't tell me Colorado is full.. that's resident disinformation to keep it all to yourselves! ;)

Seriously though, i'll take my chances as i'v been waiting 21 years to return.. with my son. But I hear some area's in Utah are seeing an increase as well. I'm hoping to be gone 6+ weeks so i'll have time to take it all in.

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We don't boondock, but love the more remote and/or basic campgrounds. Our experience over the past number of years is that it has gotten more and more difficult to get a campsite in Colorado, especially in some areas. It is an outdoor oriented state, and there are vast number of visitors as well as the influx of new or wanna-be residents. The edge of the bubble where it's hard to get campsites has expanded farther and farther from Denver and Colorado Springs. Where once we could get reservations close to a trip, we now try to make sure we get them at the beginning of the 6-month window. There are some campgrounds where it's not as difficult, depending on location and/or time of year. The campground where we spent Labor Day week had open sites, including over that weekend, for example.
    All of the Colorado state parks are now reservation only, but that includes day-of-stay reservations
    We seldom do FCFS, because we began to get shut out of campgrounds when Utah and Colorado seemed to get discovered for camping 20+ years ago. We have friends who do mostly FCFS, but they tend to travel a couple of hours between campsites and don't mind the uncertainty. We usually travel 5-8 hours, and finding no suitable campsites is not on our list of fun things to do.

NMroamer likes this.
  5. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

As a former Pennsylvania resident I was trying to be helpful. If you are set on Colorado their are campgrounds in the South area West along highway 17. There is a 19th century train station in Antonito for a great train ride.

6. Overland

Overland Active Member

Am I ruffling feathers here? Perhaps I asked the wrong crowd/forum..

I'm not interested in campgrounds, or making reservations. The area I asked about is BLM lands with dispersed camping permitted, I was hoping perhaps someone here might have some experience with the area in question.

Thanks..

gladecreekwy likes this.
  7. Firehawk068

Firehawk068 Active Member

Overland likes this.
  8. Overland

Overland Active Member

I'v found this before, the friends of Fourmile group may be my best bet to track something down. I will look into map's a bit more, if I can figure how to eliminate routes that are OHV usage only I could better zero in on vehicle usage. Thanks..

Nice to see another ZJ owner here..

Firehawk068 likes this.
  9. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Come to Wyoming. That’s all we do.

Overland likes this.