FR Rockwood high walls remodel: can this be done?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Katskamper, Dec 6, 2018.

rockwood highwall - move furniture?

1. yes move sofa & cabinet

66.7%
  2. no, it will not work

33.3%
  1. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Absolutely true ... but then some would argue "full hoop up campsites" isn't camping, especially in a popup. Can't remember the last time we camped with anything more than 30 amp service, certainly no sewer inlet. ;)

2. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

busy weekends like thanksgiving, fathers day: non electric sites. less people! im trying to be offgrid as much as i can.

im 62. my sometimes camping company “Bert & Annie” are in their 80s! steps yes. climbing on furniture-no.

ive seen bubbas drag* their still UP pups to the dump station ! yes!

i can empty mine at dump station or camp toilet. ( which is why tp goes in trash. non clogging.)
    wash when i get home.

in the combo shower, if it got used, i have to be sure its been towel dried, or my sox get wet. it was like that in shower tent pre popup.

my dream ideas are bigger than what stock units are designed with.

when mom & i were shopping for hers /now mine in 2010, we saw one so long it would not fit in either of our garages! HUGE. we got this one because it was still brand new inside, short enough to fit in my garage. and a great price. they paid $12k in 2004. we paid them $2,800 cash.

its small, but im making it work.

3. GreyFox

Possible yes, but not recommended - pretty tough on the lift system. [:O]

4. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Must be a lot smaller front bunk than we have. With the bunk extended I can't even get close enough to plug in and charge the battery because the tailgate will hit the support poles first.

5. GreyFox

Katskamper said:
    ive seen bubbas drag* their still UP pups to the dump station

Just because the roof is still up it doesn't mean the beds have to be out. I've in fact seen this myself, a popup being moved within the campground from one site to another with the roof still up but beds tucked in.

BillyMc likes this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. This is the reason I went with my fleetwood Utah. It's a tad higher than a traditional camper but lower than a high wall. My mom can easily move around inside my camper without her stumbling or stubbing her toe. Even more, she is able to climb in bed without a step. To me that was the whole reason I turned away from the high will. In the middle of the night mom would have to use the bathroom and I didn't want her to fall if she forgot the step was there. Too easy to do if your not used to going in bed with a step. When mom doesn't camp with me I can easily manage it on my own. The high wall because the beds are so high I would need assistance pulling them out or drag a separate stool with me or even a three step stool for my crazy uneven sites I stay at. I have the cassette toilet built in and no indoor shower. The only thing missing is a counter but I cook outside anyway. I really studied the high wall camper, and saw one set up on uneven ground. When I was clearly able to walk under the bunk end without hitting my head i envisioned problems at all my faviorate campsites. At least for me current camper is ideal for me. Like you I dry camp all the time, and I camp by myself a good chunk of that time. So looked for what would be easier on me. If I upgraded my vehical I may buy a hybrid camper with a separate shower but for my use my Utah is perfect.

Katskamper likes this.
  7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I still wouldn't move ours with it up.

Turfit likes this.
  8. Turfit

Turfit New Member

I have been looking into High Walls, but getting into the beds seems to be the biggest problem and since my wife is not tall........

9. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Short people (me and--for now--my kids) do fine with the highwall. We have a step at one end and a couch to climb on the other. I do think the low beds in a non-HW are nicer, and so are the windows and general feeling of spaciousness, and for older or less-nimble folks, the climb into bed is better.

My perspective might be skewed, though, as I'm coming from a truck camper with no steps to the very high bed. :)

BillyMc and Turfit like this.
  10. tcbrady

tcbrady Active Member

If you move the sofa placement you'll likely lose the exterior storage as it utilizes under the sofa for that pass through storage. Just another thought you should consider as storage is already limited in these.

11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Some would also argue that camping anywhere near a road in a camper and not in a tent isn't camping.

12. GreyFox

Absolutely true ... but as being discussed in another thread where a popup owner want to upgrade to 50 amp RV service (12,000 watts) it's reasonable to question the value of mods like this. Kinda ironic when many popup owners do nothing but dry camp without any power at all, other than what their battery reserve can supply. Different strokes for different folks I guess, just like this OP who doesn't like what the manufacturers offer and wants to modify - but impractical and WAY too much work IMO. :laugh:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  13. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

The manufacturers don't make what I want either, so I bought used so it wouldn't feel as bad paying full price. "Yeah, it's not perfect, but it wasn't that expensive." I'm lazy and find it easier to change my outlook than actually do any WORK! :)

BillyMc likes this.
  14. GreyFox

After 20 yrs of RVing we're downsizing next spring from our most recent couple's travel trailer to a used 10' popup, something we've owned before in our distant past except this one also has a front storage trunk. Sufficient room for just the two of us, certainly a quantum leap up from camping in a tent, but it's still not "perfect" either - I'd prefer it also had a cassette toilet but since it doesn't I plan to add an electric flush porta potti, something I also added years ago to our previous Fleetwood Santa Fe. I had also added a DIY shower to that popup, something my wife has become used to in our travel trailers and something she would like me to add to this popup as well but at this stage the jury is still out as to whether I'll bother. We'll see, but my view at the moment is we won't use the camper enough to make the effort worthwhile - bottom line, rarely is any camper "perfect" for anyone so you just adapt to what you can have while still being practical about it. :smiley:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  15. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

i will keep looking! by time im ready for the next one, there might be the layout i want.

16. KamperKel

KamperKel Active Member

I have the 2019 Rockwood HW277 which is very similar to the HW296...without the sofa by the front bedend. It is not a cassette toilet. We have a 12 gals black and 12 gals gray tanks. We LOVE our popup. The outdoor kitchen is what sold me on this camper. We would have gotten the 296, but it is too long to fit in our garage.

Katskamper likes this.
  17. GreyFox

Holy Smokes, these Rockwood highwall popups are TALL! [:O]

One of many reasons we decided after 20 yrs of RVing to sell our couple's travel trailer and return to the simplicity of a popup was storage. Here where we live I can legally park a trailer that's no more than 2 metres high (~ 6.5') on our driveway year 'round, anything taller and it's only legal May 1 to Oct 31 so I always had to find remote storage for our travel trailers Nov 1 to Apr 30 which was costly and a pain in the butt. [V] Yeah, dumb bylaw but it is what it is. At 6' 7" a popup like yours wouldn't solve my problem, an HW296 @ 6' 9" would be even worse! ;)

KamperKel likes this.
  18. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

closed height is almost 7 feet? oh my!

KamperKel likes this.
  19. GreyFox

It all comes back to me now! [:O)] I remember going to the Toronto RV show in the early 2000s when Rockwood highwall campers were first appearing on the market. These things were so BIG I remember one model was "affectionately" called The Hippo. [LOL] My friend was 6' 2" and standing inside this camper he could just reach the ceiling, if he really stretched! I'm 5' 10" and there was no way I could even come close. A beast to be sure! [:O]

KamperKel likes this.
  20. KamperKel

KamperKel Active Member

Yes, it is tall. Fortunately, it does fit in our garage. I know I posted pictures somewhere on this site, lol