Frame bent after tire failure

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Guelephant, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Guelephant

Guelephant New Member

I lost a tire tread complete shread on the NY thruway going about 70 on my Starcraft 1019. After a fun highway side tire change to the spare, upon returning home I noticed the frame behind the wheel appeared bent? I'm kind of a newbie but how could this happen..it didn't appear to be from jacking it up either. Onto repair ideas

Attached Files:

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The tire caught it and bent it. Try prying it back in place.

Blackripley and kitphantom like this.
  3. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

Thank you for reminding me to go only 65 even though my tires are rated for 70.

Two ways to bend it back
    Cold, pound it back
    Hot, bring it to an auto body shop and they can heat it up and make it look much better than cold hammering

Quite a force that the tire pieces can bend metal like that !

Kyle R Thorson and kitphantom like this.
  4. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

Can you bend it with vise grips?

5. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

That should bend back pretty easily. I would try using a bottle jack or tire jack to bend it back. A bit more controllable than wacking it with a hammer.

A tire blowing at 70 mph is pretty destructive. A post yesterday showed a hole punched in the floor of their pup from their blowout. They said the wheel well liner was ripped out along with the wiring over it. I'd say you made out pretty well to just have a bit of metal bent. [:D]

Greg H, kcsa75, Blackripley and 2 others like this.
  6. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

I would also just bend it back, then clean it and paint it with matching Rust-Oleum. Being sure to get in the joint and where the 2 parts meet.

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

My dad would have said something along the lines of "they're making em out of old coffee cans now days." This was when coffee cans were made of metal. [LOL][LOL]

Steveo4090 and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I would give it a couple thunks with a sledge just to get it away from the tire and leave it be.

raising4daughters and kcsa75 like this.
  10. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

We had this happen on the road and we just pounded it back as best as we could with our splitting ax (blunt end). Looks just fine now. I don't even think we touched up the paint.

1380ken likes this.
  11. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

My step dad had an old Datsun that the floor boards started to rust out of. One day he hit the brakes hard and his foot went through the floor...anyway, he riveted coffee cans down to patch the floor. I believe he was on his 2nd layer when he finally got rid of it. So his car really was made out of old coffee cans lol

Edit: Finally remembered what model it was...a b210 Datsun...green...with those honeycomb hub caps. Hideous little car lol

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Rempop, myride and kcsa75 like this.
  12. Pnut

Pnut Member

Use an adjustable wrench with the jaws closed down onto the bent part and bend it back. It will bend back easier than you think. Here is a picture I found as an example.
    wrench.jpg

JiffyPopJunkie likes this.
  13. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I would take the tire off and get it up on jack stands. Between a big adjustable, as Pnut indicated, or a pipe wrench and a small sledge, it can be reshaped. Heat will help. Propane, a little bit. MAPP torch would be better. An acetylene torch would make it easy,

14. Greg H

Greg H Member

That was me who lost the wheel well and wiring! Consider yourself lucky Guelephant! That frame piece was severely damaged on mine, so I had someone cut it off and weld on a new frame piece. Yours could probably be beat back into place, especially with some heat. Good luck! This was my frame piece:

Attached Files:

Steveo4090 likes this.
  15. raising4daughters

raising4daughters Member

I feel your pain. I lost TWO tires returning home from a PA camping trip in July on our new-to-us 2008 Flagstaff HW PUP. I got the first one changed, but the second one crapped out 20 miles later. Grrrrr. I assumed it was some sort of systemic failure (overloaded, bad axle, who knows?) so I had it towed home. My auto mechanic looked at the tires and pointed out the 2007 date code...the damn dealer sold us the used camper with original tires. Plenty of tread but dry rotted.

Like you, the frame bent from the explosions. In addition, on the 2nd one, the brake line and the electric line to the refrigerator severed. And, while putting the trailer on the flatbed, the guy bent the jack. Very expensive lesson.

BTW, i keep it at 60mph when towing.

16. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

That's one of the first things to check on a used camper.

Steveo4090 likes this.
  17. blarick

blarick New Member

You mentioned the tread shredded...I’m picturing something similar to a semi tire losing the tread layer. If so that’s what happened. The tread pulled away, the rotation threw the tread against the metal and deformed it. As for frame structure pics don’t look like any significant damage. I’d pull the tire and using hammer , nail bar and pliers work the metal back into place. Call it done. If there is a weld have someone put a tack it back however it was welded before. (I don’t see evidence of a weld)

18. riverwalker

riverwalker Member

Pot holes from hell got me. Tried bending it back to shape without pulling it all off. May fab something n make a inch more room .

Attached Files:

19. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member

A large set of Vice-Grips (as previously suggested) works well too and holds nicely on awkwardly oriented parts.

20. Randy Miller

Randy Miller New Member

My wife had a B210 Datsun in this ugly brown/tan color. Gutless wonder. On a trip to CA, it took us 30 minutes to get around a Winnebago, only to have it pass us going up a mountain.

Steveo4090 and Kyle R Thorson like this.