Frankenstorm

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by ncwild, Oct 29, 2012.

1. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Yes it was a tropical storm, but it still impacted a huge area. We didn't get much up here, no snow, a little rain, and gusty winds up to 60 MPH. One woman was killed in Toronto when a backlight business sign came loose, fell and struck her. Ironically she was going to Home Depot to help shore up her house.

I've seen pictures of WV with a foot of snow. That would probably be a record here for November, let alone October.

2. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Beemer I hear where you are coming from.

Once upon a time, I was working in an old mansion that we had rented as temporary office space. An electrical fire broke out on the third floor, in a sealed crawlspace. By the time we noticed, it was too late. One man insisted on fighting it until we emptied every fire extinguisher in the place, but clearly it wasn't going to stop it, and the smoke had started to get thick. Two of us stayed just long enough to drag his butt outside. Properly equipped fire crews were there and inside within 5 minutes. The guy we pulled out was a heavy smoker and drinker, and the smoke got to him, though he was fine after a while. It could have been much worse. As it was, we had water damage to some papers and equipment, but nothing terrible. We could have easily lost a life.

3. cullinan18

cullinan18 New Member

It was a pretty impressive storm. I've been on generator since Monday evening and prob won't get power back until middle of next week. For those looking for generators, please do your homework and learn the difference between a portable unit and a standby unit. I have a natural gas standby generator. With two kids and a technophob wife, I wanted it to be seemless.

I have become passionate about generators and would be happy to discuss.

Anyway, my local roads are still a disaster and we only have 1 artery to get in and out of town. Many towns got hit a lot worse.

I have been amazed, though, at the number of friends and distant friends who asked if we had a spare bedroom. We don't have a spare bedroom, but offered an air mattress in our living room or basement for their families to have heat, showers, warm food, and some comforts. They all refused.

4. obnoxiousblue

obnoxiousblue New Member

Just checking in from Long Island. We got pummeled here, power has been out since the start of the storm, and were told not to be hopeful for its return till later next week. We have 4 trees down, thankfully they (narrowly) missed the house. Cars were ok. Neighborhood is decimated. Couldn't have gotten out of my development if you had a helicopter. Gas stations are dry, cell service dropped during the storm, but has returned. A 75 foot tree came down from across the street, landed square in my circular driveway, taking down power lines on both sides thus trapping me on my property for a bit. Three neighbors had trees come own on thier homes, another around the rent lost his garage, and three cars. People lost far more, so in the grand scheme were lucky. Posting now from my iPad 3 with 4G. With no power, no electric stove or circulator pump for our hot water a heat were relying on our wood burning fireplace for warmth. Brought the camp stoves out to the porch, I HIGHLY reccomend the Firefly and PocketRocket from MSR. These things are boiling small saucepans of water in under 4 minutes. Really, relying on the camper (a 1977 Volkswagen Westfalia) as a crutch. It's 2000w inverter is getting a workout, but is keeping up with charging phones, iPads, coffee pots and every other chargeable gimmick we own. The fridge is holding lot f t stuff our kitchen fridge no longer can, and the stock I always keep in it is coming in very handy.

Hope everyone else is holding in!

5. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

Obnoxiousblue,
    thanks for the update. Happy to hear that you faired well during the storm. Hang in there as we wish you all the best for a speedy resumption of services.

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

In Morris county, NJ - We still have no power since Monday and have been told 7-10 days before we get it back (won't hold my breath on that!). Been running the generator in cycles (3 hours on, 3 hours off) Been shutting it down at midnight and restarting it at 7 am. Gas is getting really hard to find and if you do find it the lines are about a mile long, I kid you not!!! We had someone come into work late because he was in line for gas for 2 1/2 hours. We are siphoning the gas out of my SIL truck to use for the generator only.

We have natural gas service so the stove works just fine. Now, the temps are supposed to dip into the upper 20's this weekend. I think I will be rewiring my furnace in order to get power to it!!!! We have a fireplace, but it does not heat the whole house. Hot water heater is electric, so we boil water to wash dishes and ourselves. I think we will be visiting friends of ours to take real showers tomorrow!! [A]

7. Hanne

Hanne New Member

It's wonderful to hear from some NY & NJ members to know that you're OK, so thanks for posting!
    Obnoxiousblue, glad to hear that Peabody has been pulling her weight to help you out!
    Silvermickey & cullinan, a good generator is a Godsend! We filled up all our gas cans, both generator tanks and all the vehicles prior to the storm just to prepare for a possible gas shortage. Our big genny can run the whole house but we try to conserve fuel as you are doing, and run it only as needed.

The camping equipment comes in very useful during power outages, too. I love using the Trangia-style alcohol backpacking stove for making coffee and boiling water for noodles or oatmeal. If you put the hot water in a wide-mouth Thermos and add your parboiled rice, pasta, oatmeal, dehydrated veggies, etc., it will passively cook without wasting any additional fuel. We like to cook this way when camping, and it's awesome for power outages, too. The alcohol stove will run on Isoprophyl alcohol, Heet gas treatment, denatured alcohol, or grain alcohol.

8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I got gas at the Pilot truck stop in Bloomsbury last night. It's at exit 7 on rt 78. Stopped after work last night. Gas was $3.39 for regular and $4.19 for diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. obnoxiousblue

obnoxiousblue New Member

Still no power here. I've sent telegram by horse to TLC networks, proposing a new series called "Becoming Amsh" I could be on the show. My qualifications: Lived with no electricity for a week, don't drive a car anymore due to gas shortage, haven't shaved in a week and a half. So, henceforth I shall be called Jakob Yoder....

Took the camper out of the garage today to let the engine run and charge up the batteries. The small solar panel is hooked on too... Every little bit helps.

10. obnoxiousblue

obnoxiousblue New Member

11. Michoshisho

Michoshisho Member

Nice setup there! Hope you get power back soon.

12. Hanne

Hanne New Member

Jakob Yoder, you done good!!!! Although I don't think that movie is Amish-approved! [:D] [;)] [LOL]

13. obnoxiousblue

obnoxiousblue New Member

Movie just ended. We waited for dark to set in before starting, that left us time to get more done outside and cook with daylight. Camper is back in the garage, and it performed flawlessly. The inverter has a high draw, and my batteries are "older" but the engine stayed cool and the fuel needle barely moved. It was worth the two hurs of normalcy.

Got a nice fire going now in our fireplace, as we have for the last week. It's all that stands for heat at night. It's 45 degrees here now, though they're calling for a low of 36 tonight.

There were tree crews here working to clear lines in the devlopment today. Two trucks from Minnesota, and a few pickup's from Wisconsin were scouting lines and poles to see what was needed to restore service.

Counting the days.

Going o settle in now. Have a busy day tomorrow...

You know, I shun fancy things like electricity
    At 4:30 in the morning I'm milkin' cows
    Jebediah feeds the chickens and Jacob plows... fool
    And I've been milkin' and plowin' so long that
    Even Ezekiel thinks that my mind is gone
    -Wierd Al

http://youtu.be/lOfZLb33uCg

14. Sportside

Sportside Member

Well Sandy took my camper! [:(]

I live on the south shore of Long Island. We had 2ft of water in the house, lost 3 cars. GEICO called me and told me they are officially totaling out the Niagara. It had about 1ft of water in it.