FREE CAMPING IN VIRGINIA!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Virginia' started by hvac1877, Jan 22, 2016.

1. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

The Virginia State Parks system now offers a Rewards system for free camping. Here is the info from there website.

If you take the slogan “I love Virginia State Parks” to heart, you will be happy to know that to celebrate our 80th anniversary a new program will give some love back.

With the Virginia State Parks new Customer Loyalty program, visitors who stay overnight in cabins, lodges, campsites, yurts, camping cabins and camping lodges will earn 20 points for every dollar spent on fees. Points can be redeemed for free nights based on a redemption schedule based on the cost of the facilities.

Craig Seaver, State Parks Director commented, “It is appropriate that as we celebrate our 80th anniversary of Virginia State Parks, we launch a program that rewards our customers to assist them in their pursuit of creating moments and memories in Virginia State Parks.”

The redemption chart and details can be found here. Points are earned when a stay is completed and there are a few restrictions.

To launch the new program, customers who sign up during January 2016 will receive 50,000 bonus points added to their accounts in February.

Customers can sign up online while making a reservation (you will be prompted as part of the reservation process) or by calling the Customer Service Center at 800-933-7275. The Center is open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and closed state holidays which will include Jan. 15 and 18

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/blog/get-rewarded-for-staying-in-virginia-state-parks

2. FrankV

FrankV New Member

I wish there was a like button. I think this a great idea and hope some other provincial, national and state parks follow their lead.

3. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

I'm surprised Virginia's park system is that young.

4. hvac1877

it is 80 years old that's not young

5. SLOTerp

SLOTerp Member

Cool - all signed up!

Thanks for the info, Hvac.

6. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

Pretty cool. Just for signing up this month you could stay 6 nights free in your pup! Too bad Virginia is sooooo far from me...

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Va. has some nice state parks. I have been to many in my 40+ years of camping. However, I haven't camped in a state park in close to 10 years. My last visit, I prepaid online for my site. When I pulled up to the guard shack, the worker saw my dog and said I owed them more money for a pet fee. Yeah, it is trivial, but I voted with my dollars and use National Forest campgrounds only if I stay in a govt. park.

8. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

The first state park here in Minnesota was created in 1891 and is 125 years old this year. Since Virginia is a much older state, I was surprised that their state parks are only 80 years old.

9. Papasmurf40

Papasmurf40 2008 Ford F150 and 1998 Coleman Sunridge

IN 2 CAMPING, good luck for Ontario doing that. [2C] [RTM]

10. SLOTerp

SLOTerp Member

I'm not a historian on this but I don't find it surprising. When the preservation movement began, most land in Virginia was privately owned. I imagine in western states that was not the case, making it much easier to create the parks from government owned land. If you look at the NPS almost all the big parks are in the west. With some exceptions, the national parks in the east are smaller and more of historical note. Anyway, that's my guess.

11. TwigsnBerries

TwigsnBerries New Member

What a nice promo program. Cant wait to start camping this year!!!

12. hvac1877

Twigsnberries come and join us the Virginia Spring Popup rally

13. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Thanks for the heads up. Signed up friday and got 50,000 points. What I figure it is worth 4 nights [HY] ??? [:D]

Ohio has a rewards program and we get one or two free nights each year. We try to use them for the more expensive nights.

14. jherrington93

jherrington93 Member

Wish I had seen this post a few days earlier...just missed the sign-up bonus! [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(]

15. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

I signed up....now, to just get another camper...ughhhhh. I hate being without one. Maybe, I should just but a new truck and borrow TwigsnBerries camper!