FREE CAMPING IN VIRGINIA!!!!!!!

hvac1877

Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va
Mar 10, 2008
Highland Springs Va
The Virginia State Parks system now offers a Rewards system for free camping. Here is the info from there website.

If you take the slogan “I love Virginia State Parks” to heart, you will be happy to know that to celebrate our 80th anniversary a new program will give some love back.

With the Virginia State Parks new Customer Loyalty program, visitors who stay overnight in cabins, lodges, campsites, yurts, camping cabins and camping lodges will earn 20 points for every dollar spent on fees. Points can be redeemed for free nights based on a redemption schedule based on the cost of the facilities.

Craig Seaver, State Parks Director commented, “It is appropriate that as we celebrate our 80th anniversary of Virginia State Parks, we launch a program that rewards our customers to assist them in their pursuit of creating moments and memories in Virginia State Parks.”

The redemption chart and details can be found here. Points are earned when a stay is completed and there are a few restrictions.

To launch the new program, customers who sign up during January 2016 will receive 50,000 bonus points added to their accounts in February.

Customers can sign up online while making a reservation (you will be prompted as part of the reservation process) or by calling the Customer Service Center at 800-933-7275. The Center is open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and closed state holidays which will include Jan. 15 and 18

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/blog/get-rewarded-for-staying-in-virginia-state-parks

FrankV

Dec 2, 2015
I wish there was a like button. I think this a great idea and hope some other provincial, national and state parks follow their lead.

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
Va. has some nice state parks. I have been to many in my 40+ years of camping. However, I haven't camped in a state park in close to 10 years. My last visit, I prepaid online for my site. When I pulled up to the guard shack, the worker saw my dog and said I owed them more money for a pet fee. Yeah, it is trivial, but I voted with my dollars and use National Forest campgrounds only if I stay in a govt. park.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
hvac1877 said:
it is 80 years old that's not young

The first state park here in Minnesota was created in 1891 and is 125 years old this year. Since Virginia is a much older state, I was surprised that their state parks are only 80 years old.

SLOTerp

May 25, 2015
Ashburn, VA
tfischer said:
The first state park here in Minnesota was created in 1891 and is 125 years old this year. Since Virginia is a much older state, I was surprised that their state parks are only 80 years old.
I'm not a historian on this but I don't find it surprising. When the preservation movement began, most land in Virginia was privately owned. I imagine in western states that was not the case, making it much easier to create the parks from government owned land. If you look at the NPS almost all the big parks are in the west. With some exceptions, the national parks in the east are smaller and more of historical note. Anyway, that's my guess.

tenttrailer

Art & Joyce - Columbus, O
Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
Thanks for the heads up. Signed up friday and got 50,000 points. What I figure it is worth 4 nights [HY] ??? [:D]

Ohio has a rewards program and we get one or two free nights each year. We try to use them for the more expensive nights.

jmcclung11

Super Active Member
Aug 10, 2008
Fishersville, VA
I signed up....now, to just get another camper...ughhhhh. I hate being without one. Maybe, I should just but a new truck and borrow TwigsnBerries camper!