free campsite.... thier mistake...not mine

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by fiero67, Jan 6, 2014.

1. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

so here's the deal...
    I was surfing around on the internet, when I came across a local CGs website. While checking out prices... for the middle of July (also known as the Christmas in July weekend) I entered all my data... 30 Amp service... water... 1 Extra person.... there was a booking for $0... I booked it and paid via credit card .. for the $4 fee for the extra person. the receipt stated I was paid in full!!!!! my booking was confirmed..... has this happened to anyone else? I have the email stating I was paid in full.... the only thing that i havent gotten.... was a site number.... what would you do?

2. skiball

skiball New Member

Seriously, Here's what I would do (and I am not making this up).
    I would call the CG and tell them what happened. I would also tell them that it was the advertised cost and that you paid it. They are obligated to honor it but I would still tell them. I believe, what comes around - goes around. Carma is real. If you do good, you will win in the long run. If you do bad or deceive you will loose latter. But that's just my opinion.

3. rjniles

rjniles Member

Man up.

4. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

We believe in the Golden Rule...

5. billangiep

billangiep Member

You can look at it another way...It costs "X" dollars to run a campground and the cost per campsite is based on that. If the campground cant meet its obligations costs per campsite go up ?

6. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

I would give them the heads up and explain that I noticed it and I didn't want it to cause problems for them. I'd probably also cross my fingers that they'd be so grateful they'd thank me and tell me to keep the site since I saved them so much hassle. But I don't expect to get things that are of value to me for free.

7. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

I would also call. Still hope they would give me the special deal based on what you received for bringing it to their attention.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

8. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

If you were 16 and working your first job, and you gave a customer back too much cash, wouldn't YOU hope and pray they'd be honest enough to return and fix the error so you didn't get in trouble AND come up short in your drawer??

[:D]

9. JT2

JT2 Member

Not a bad philosophy but have you considered that this may be the CG's karma coming around on them? Perhaps a kind of cosmic payback for requiring 5 nights paid for a three-day holiday weekend, or selling 4 pieces of firewood for $6.50, or charging that additional $2 service fee for on-line booking? Karma works both ways, and sometimes good things come to you unannounced...I'm just sayin'.

And to the OP, yeah telling them about is probably the charitable thing to do but save your paperwork and screen shots; if they advertised it and you bought it, they must honor it. Do not allow them to void the deal or change the rate. (You may recall that an airline recently accidentally posted some erroneous stupid-cheap fares and will soon be flying a few folks to Hawai'i on a $6.50 ticket.)

/JT

10. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I would definitely call them and make them aware of the problem with their web site.

11. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Wow JT2. I'd be relatively SURE they did NOT advertise a free camp site. That doesn't mean the computer system didn't cause the problem. The airline thing was actually put 'out there' and was available to be taken advantage of. This sounds more like a computer glitch, or human error, somehow.

Hope you set it right fiero!!

[:D]

12. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

I would call them to verify that you indeed have a site. Is it worth a few bucks saved to get to the campground only to find out that you have no place to camp.

The other way to I would look at it is to ask "is the owner of the campground charging a fair price in exchange for what he/she is providing?". If the answer is no, then I would not camp there. If the answer is yes, settle up with them.

I am all about finding a bargain. I am also fair about paying the agreed upon price. I am a huge fan of Craigslist, Ebay and auctions. I will negotiate over a nickel but will always be fair in the deal that I do.

13. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Do the right thing.
    If it was your CG and there was maybe a glitch in the ressie system, wouldn't you want someone honest to give you a heads up before you lose a ton of money.

14. generok

generok Well-Known Member

They're going to provide a service, and that service has a set fee. They have your CC#, they're just going to charge you the correct amount at some point.

If you call, maybe they'll be nice and cut you some slack.

Typically, there is a banner somewhere you tacitly agreed to that said they are not responsible for technical errors or omissions...

15. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I would call the cg, but i would not be shy about asking for some discount for there error

16. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Chances are you were not the only person who experienced this glitch and sooner or later there will be a confrontation arising over it. Why not take the high road and contact them before they contact you.

17. Hanvee3

Hanvee3 New Member

You were probably charged $0.00 because your booking was not complete. Why were you not assigned a campsite? Here in Ontario, you have to choose a campsite or the process will be incomplete. Call up and clarify. [2C]

18. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

If it was me, I'd call and make sure. Honesty is the best policy.

Campit

19. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Second that

20. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Let's forget about the fact that you don't have a campsite assigned. Is your integrity worth the cost of a campsite?