free campsite.... thier mistake...not mine

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by fiero67, Jan 6, 2014.

1. dickinjo

dickinjo Member

I would definitely call just to make sure this is truly a campsite website. It could simply be a site to gather advertising information or such. Always beware of things that appear too good.

2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I would also call!

3. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I agree with what many others have mentioned, and would call. If you don't, show up to your reservation and hope that the same glitch did not result in your reservation not going through their system, and only having a day/guest pass for your extra guest, and no sites available.

You know their system was wrong, may as well call and let them know. Being that it was $0 per night, and not a discounted rate, I'd also argue with the logic of "my problem, not theirs" when it will become your problem if they go out of business. Guess it all depends on your comfort level.

4. LGFurr

LGFurr Member

I'd be willing to bet they didn't get it as a completed reservation... Y'all should be able to come to a mutually beneficial agreement! [:D]

5. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

wow.. what a lot of replies. First let me say... I do plan on calling them... when I booked the site..I went back and tried it over again and the original price was back... I believe it was $35 dollars a night. i just tried booking again and the normal price was there... Ill call them and let everyone know how it turned out.

I do believe in Karma, but I'm not defrauding anyone here.. because I haven't received anything. If I tell you I would sell you a pop up for a dollar, you would leave with my pop up and Id be a dollar richer. BUT all I got here is a reservation. .. which means nothing until the day I go there. I was more than willing to pay, because I want to make sure I'm there for the Christmas in July event!! so lets see whats in the cards for me...... [:D]

6. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

message was sent to the campground.. and now I'm waiting for them to call me back... I found out that a reservation service out of California is handling the reservations... and the owners of the campground are NEW! I explained the entire thing and gave them my reservation number so they can check it out. Im hoping for the best!Lets test the theory of "honesty is the best policy " [:D] [:D] [:D]

7. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

I got the call back and explained the situation and they told me I got a really good deal. I guess this has happened only once before! However, I agreed to pay for the night anyway because it is the Christmas in July weekend. They were very thankful for my call... that made me feel good!!! She booked me for that weekend and told me to make sure I brought Christmas decorations.... and trust me... I went to the after Christmas sales and bought a bunch of LED lighting... and yes... my laser lights and fog machine will be there as well!! I plan on WINNING! It is also mine and my DWs anniversary [:D]

8. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

GO FIREO!!! LOL

:D

Sent from my Droid Maxx while NOT driving!

9. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

also: they told me you dont get a site number until maybe a month before the date...

10. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I'm glad you called and that they made you feel good for it. I hope you get a really great site and win the contest.

11. billangiep

billangiep Member

Hats off to you fiero67.....wish we were closer , love to at least do a drive by !! [:D]

12. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Yep, good all over you, fiero!! You can setup on my land any time and get loud an lasery!!

Glad you called!!

13. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

Yea! Glad it worked out. I know you'll have a great time.

14. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

Thanks everyone...Im happy about it.. Ill post pictures and a video after the weekend! This will actually be my very first.... CG experience in my very own PopUp.!

15. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

You'd better! The mindset here is "No pics, it didn't happen!!" :p8)

16. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

I agree! I will make sure I also get pictures of the people in the CS next to me.... and I will take a pole too whether I was too "out there" for them.. hee hee ;)

17. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

The first trip in the pup in a campground that worked out after a rocky start. Here's to a great camping season.

18. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

cheers!! [:D]

19. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

They most certainly are not obligated to honor a mistaken price. No business is. Mistakes occur all the time. Sometimes businesses choose to honor the mistake out of goodwill, but there is no obligation ever to honor a truly mistaken price.

You can consult a real lawyer, if you want, but contract law 101 will tell you that things like print ads are not offers to sell at a given price. They are enticements to get the buyer to offer to purchase ... and the seller can reject the buyer's offer to purchase at the mistaken price.

Extending that point, think of a house listing. Some houses are listed low to start a bidding war among prospective buyers. The listed price isn't an offer to sell at that price; the seller isn't contractually obligated to sell to the first person to offer the asking price. Rather, it's designed to motivate would-be buyers to make offers to buy. The seller can accept or reject. That same principle applies to the advertisment for a $50 PS3 game in the local paper. Prices in the stores affixed to merchandise muddies the water a bit more.

There's also reasonableness. If it's reasonable to expect that the buyer should know about the price mistake by virtue of an egregious discount (a $0 campsite, a $700 TV advertised for $20, etc.), it would be interpreted under the unilateral mistake doctrine, anyway. Unconscionable discounts that would harm a business won't be enforced. Without the normal hoopla surrounding a free campsite, a CG would rather easily show that a $0 price was, in fact, a mistake in the computer software and not representative of a desire to "sell" its sites for free.

The online world has added complexity. Whereas a regular store can just deny the buyer's offer to purchase at the mistaken price, online orders are often accepted and processed immediately. To avoid the contractual obligation to sell at the mistaken price by automatically accepting the buyer's offer to purchase at said mistakent price, online merchants generally have some set of terms and conditions that allow them to cancel such orders.

Ultimately, if you fall into a grey area (say a $700 TV advertised for $450 ... ~40% discounts do happen on consumer electronics, order was processed and credit card charged, no terms and conditions allow the merchant to cancel, and the merchant still canceled the order due to a mistake), your only recourse is to file a complaint with your district attorney's office for false advertisement and then to sue the seller in a civil court.

Good luck.

20. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I would agree if you paid nothen. But you did pay the reservation fee. The deal was done. For a contract to be binding there must be an exchange of value. You giving something and receiving something. Since you paid a reservation fee you gave them something of value and you receive a CS of value. The contract is valid and enforceable.

You did the right thing and corrected their mistake. What go around comes around.