free campsite.... thier mistake...not mine

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by fiero67, Jan 6, 2014.

1. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

wow....interesting!
    thanks for the info...

2. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

What you're talking about is consideration. As you stated, it's one of the most basic elements that define a contract. If I signed a contract that stated I'd give you $10,000 next June to help with your down payment on a new house, it's not enforceable. Similarly, if I enter into an agreement to pay you $500 if you don't egg my house on Halloween, I don't have to pay you the $500 even if you honor your end of the bargain and skip over my house.

As I mentioned above, online transactions have complicated the buy-sell contract since they are executed instantly and don't benefit from a review by a rational human who, unlike the automated computer, could exercise judgement.

It's not clear to me that the contract is enforceable, even though it was automatically processed. See above on the unilateral mistake doctrine. It's one of the reasons why lawyers and judges exist ... laws must be interpreted. If it were only as simple as looking up the law, the world wouldn't need lawyers, we'd just need librarians.

Though the contract may be valid and enforceable, so would be the terms and conditions of said contract. As I mentioned, most online store-fronts have Ts & Cs that allow them to void a purchase contract for virtually any reason ... allows them to get out of the aforementioned pricing mistakes. I'm too lazy to look up the Ts & Cs that govern this specific topic.

And, even if they didn't have appropriate Ts & Cs, the burden would be on the buyer. We have a valid contract. I void it, without any legal standing. So what? What can you do? Sue me? Most likely, you'd have to sue me in my jurisdiction, so you have travel expense. Fine, you eat that and still sue me ... and win. Great. Good luck collecting. It's not like I have to pay you cash on my way out of the courtroom. You have a piece of paper with a judgement. To actually collect, you probably have to file a writ, which carries a fee that you cannot transfer to me. Probably, you'll have to enlist a sheriff to issue the writ, which carries a fee that you cannot transfer to me. And so on and so on. I'll make you spend $5,000 to collect on the $100 you're owed. [V]

As is always the case, a contract is only as good as your ability to enforce it. The argument as to who is right and wrong is, unfortunately, often an academic one.

Good luck.

3. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

the camping weekend "Christmas in July" was a success! I did pay for the two nights and enjoyed my first CG experience. I ALSO WON FIRST PRIZE with my decorations. I will post pictures soon! They gave me an award and everything.. also, they put us in an area where there wasn't any neighbors next to us...

4. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

5. just jim

just jim New Member

This kinda reminds me of the time I sent to the bank to get change for the auto parts store I had , When the bag returned , I counted the money and it was $50 too much so I called the bank and told them they had made a mistake and was told right quickly that they don.t make mistakes , I then spoke to the bank manager and again was told the same thing . OK , me an my crew had an extra special lunch that day , thanks to the perfect bank .NOW was I Wrong ?

6. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

CamL48-can you imagine being dispatched to resolve a situation like this? No joy all around.
    I can imagine that a phone call would result in very favorable treatment from the CG, most likely worth far more than the cost of a night there. The personal satisfaction would be priceless.