Free TV reception.

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Grandpa Don, Jul 15, 2020.

1. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I dropped TV a long time myself. I just couldn’t stand the TV shows out there. They got rid of all the ones I watched anyway. I did miss watching the olympics though. So that’s when I discovered I could stream TV. Most of what I watch is YouTube or Netflix though. I’m mainly a movie watcher, I have an small wall of DVDs at home. That actually is what helps me sleep, a movie I watched a 1000 times already. So if camping, I may watch a movie I downloaded from Netflix or if I have a digital version of a movie I already own I may download that. My side kick is big on you tube, Netflix or one of those popular teen Video things. She will put her phone down if we’re hiking, kayaking, or her favorite swimming. When Back at camp She goes on her phone and goes off on her own. Teenagers need that “me” time so we can have a peaceful dinner time otherwise there’s no living with her. Since she’s joined cheer she could hardly camps with me anymore.

2. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I have the Direct TV app on my phone...I use it to to stream through my TV during the fall
    so i can watch Husker games on BTN.
    Otherwise i get like 30 stations on my 150 Mi antenna.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

Seeing this note, I went and ordered a mirroring cable. It wasn't that expensive and I hope to have it by the next camping trip if nothing else, just to try it out.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I bought one put it in the camper and couldn't find it last trip. I got another one. Hope to use it next week!

5. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Mine is the same. Trailer gets so many stations it's crazy. The issue I have is if the air conditioner is running it seems to create enough interference to ruin the digital reception. Honestly it really doesn't matter to me as I didn't really want it in the camper to begin with, but the dealer wouldn't give me anything for keeping it so it stayed. The kids have used it a couple times for rainy nights and we had our neighbors and their kids over 2 trips ago for an outside movie night which was fun. That was via DVD though...not netflix. I don't have unlimited data so no movies on my phone. ;)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Steveo4090

No need to apologize. Do what you want while you're camping. Now if you were running an open generator next to me all night so you could stream movies I'd have an issue with it lol

But the antenna is great. I still haven't gotten a handle on the whole wifi in the camper thing. They said it's "prewired" but I haven't quite figured out what I'd need to make it go or if I really want/need to make it go in the 1st place.

7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We like to use the TV Broadcasts for watching for storms coming in when camping. We also have the WX ALERT radios too...

Being in POPUP Trailer setup during high winds is not the place to be haha.. Alot of rock-n-roll for sure...

Of course during all the news going on these days about the only TV stations we watch is the WX Channel or ME TV for their old TV series shows....

I have a neat setup for my POPUP trailer. Installed a BAT WING antenna on a pole about four feet above my roof. I can reach outside my trailer through an unziped window and rotate the mount to pick up the stations..

[​IMG]

When we pack up for travel mode all of this stows between the two tent beds when pushed in... Easy to setup...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

BillyMc likes this.
  8. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what cords you need for this (i.e., android phone to TV). My small portable TV does have an HDMI port and I have an HDMI cable. What else do I need? I actually don't like watching TV while camping. But most of the time I'm camping alone, and when the sun goes down I get bored. I use to read a lot, but my eyes have floaters that get in the way now. They make is kinda hard to stay on a line of print as small as what is in a book. I have been watching TV on my smart phone because if I try to go to bed before about 10:30 I will undoubtedly wake up in the middle of the night and stay awake for hours.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

10. Steveo4090

You can also get a 3 way version that allows you power your phone at the same time via USB outlet

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

What a go-around I'm having getting this. I ordered one from an Ebay seller and although it stated it was shipped, I never got it. So the seller agreed to ship a replacement. With the USPS number he provided, it's in shipment but not moving through the system real fast. It's due to arrive on Saturday from NJ. I live in western NY. I could have driven to NJ and back a bunch of times in the time it's going to take to get here. If I do get it, I'll try it out in my next trip where we only get 3 stations OTA.

12. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Member

13. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Active Member

I know this is a couple month old but can you post the parts to make this.
    My father in law would be very interested in something like this.

14. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

I can certainly list a lot of the items I used to make the mast. I'm sure someone with an imagination could make something better. I didn't have a lot of money to put into it, so much was based on budget. Anything in particular you want a picture of?

15. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Active Member

Basically the Mast, antenna and the receiver(wifi extender) part of it.
    If you have just the basic names or model numbers I can look them up.