Freezing in Florida

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Orchid, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Okay, so I never noticed that our PUP didn't have a furnace when I bought it. I thought they all did.

Decided it would be no problem, we have to little space heaters and I would put one at each end. That didn't work out as planned. It blew one of the circuit breakers in the PUP to have them both running. I slept in there last night to experiment with temperature. The space heater heated up the one end of it well, except the floor. The other side was cold.

Today, I remembered that we have a heat strip on the roof air conditioner and had planned to try that out tonight. Family circumstances means I will have two grandchildren early in the morning, so staying in tonight. I will try that out tomorrow. I have heard others say that the heat strip, even when installed in the roof system, doesn't work that well.

Here is the problem. We have a big family camping trip coming up in a week. We will be sharing a site with one of our daughters and her family. They have a tent, so will need power for a heater in there. As many times as I have camped at this place, I can remember how many plugs they have. If they have the 30 amp and two regular plugs, we could run an extension cord in to run the other heater.

How much of an ordeal would it be to put in a 50 amp box in my PUP? Would it require rewiring the entire camper with heavier gauge wire?

In addition to the week long trip this month, we have a week of camping at Disney in February and a weekend Rally later in the month. Should we just pack really warm clothes? Oh, wait .... we don't have any - we live in Florida. We're doomed ....... [:O]

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

The heat strip will only get the chill off, not heat the unit. I used 2(at first) small ceramic heaters but it got so hot in the unit that we removed 1. They are reasonably priced, most have a tip /over switch and make sure you get ones with a thermostat.
    My brother and his wife slept in a 5er that I had and did not know the thermostat was there, they got so hot from one heater that he turned it off during the night.

Covering the canvass ends with gizmos or some sort of insulation will help too.

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Plugging two space heaters in and running them at the same time on one circuit will trip the breaker. Now running a heater on one 15 amp circuit and the other on the 20 amp circuit the A/C is plugged into might be better.

You might be better with a Mr. Buddy heater. Other folks on here love them. I am sure someone else will chime in about this as well.

How cold will it get? Please don't tell me 65 at night, then I will not feel sorry for you [LOL]

4. nineoaks2004

What I am talking about are the small 5K ceramic heaters, not the heavy amp users (space heaters) I have ran 2 on one circuit (same double plug) one pointed one way and the other in a different direction.without any problems. The use very few amps. BTW it is not supposed to freeze in Fla this weekend only going to 37 deg here in N/W Fl.

5. R00

R00 Active Member

Swapping in a 50 amp box is a recipe for trailerfire if you don't actually upgrade the wiring surrounding it...

Here's one person's solution:

[​IMG]

6. nineoaks2004

Hope he has good fire insurance...That jury rig is scary

7. Orchid

Yeah, that's what we just went out and found out. It was blowing out luke warm air, but not hot.

Okay, knocking the 50 amp off the list.

That's what we were trying to do, but the one blew a 15 amp breaker on it's own. I know for sure the two together keep the PUP very warm, I was just worried about sharing the power pole and not having non-pup place to plug in the second one.

It's in the 50's now and supposed to be in the 40's at night next week. That is like NORTH POLE weather for us. We never get this cold. Maybe for a week in Jan or Feb, but have never seen it this cold in November before.

I won't use a propane heater, but maybe time to shop for a more efficient electric one.

8. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Damn,
    I have never seen anything like that in my many years.

9. R00

R00 Active Member

But it's just one leg!

10. tombiasi

I'm speechless.

11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Most of the campgrounds I use have one 30a and two 15a receptacles on the post. Plug one heater in your trailers outlet. Run the other directly to the post with an extension cord.

Shannon Brown likes this.
  12. R00

R00 Active Member

That's a first! (kidding!)

13. tombiasi

Probably true, it doesn't happen often.

14. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

We used a Mr. Heater Buddy heater in our old Scamp camper. It didn't have a furnace, either. The Buddy heater was very nice. We had an extension hose that would attach to a Y fitting at the propane tank. If you do this, you need to use their filter at the heater to keep goo from the hose from clogging up the heater. Other than being hot, they are very safe. The pilot light needs more oxygen than human beings, so if the O2 level gets low, it just goes out... well before it could get to an unsafe level.

Another option would be electric mattress covers or electric blankets. They use WAY less electricity than a space heater, but will keep you comfy at night. My pup came with heated mattresses from the factory. It's a nice option, because the mattresses hang in the air, so even if you heat the air IN the camper, the bunk mattresses may still get cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

LOL......We dropped to 37 last weekend and didn't turn on the furnace. We have a small 1000/1500 watt heater with 2 speed fan. Keeps its comfortable inside.
    Our old Pup wasn't wire for power we just used a heavy gauge extension cord.

16. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

Ok, let me see if I stand under the problem; You want to run 2 heaters in the PUP and 1 in the tent, right? And you have enough load on one circuit has enough load you can't add a heater, right? And the power pole is normal, a 50 Amp, a 30 Amp, and a 20 Amp duplex right?
    The duplex on the post should not carry 2 1500 watt heaters, but 1 on a heavy (12 gauge, less than 100 ft) cord would be fine. Re-wire the PUP for 50 AMP? Are you going to add a 2nd AC? If not probably not worthwhile. Us a adapter, plug the 30 Amp cord into the 50 Amp. Unsafe? How? All load on the the cord must go thru the 15 and 20 amp beakers. Plug a heater into the outlet for AC, the "heat strip" on the AC is not as good as heat down where you live... The other outlets are for your other loads.
    The 3rd heater? A heavy cord, a adapter, plugged into the 30 Amp outlet. Yes, you have a chance of overloading the cord without tripping the breaker, so keep your head out of your ass. Plug in only a heater. Keep the cord outside, and away from flammables. Stretch the cord out, no coils, tangles, or crosses. Touch the cord often, near the plug, to check for heat. This heater should be last on, first off, and off when everybody goes to bed. Yes, there is some risk, but if you understand the risk it may be a worthwhile gamble.
    Extension cords; Walmart and other stores sells millions of the cheap 100 foot orange cords to ignorant people. Then they sell all kinds of stuff to replace the appliances and tools that are ruined because of using these cords. Basically, you string out 100 feet of 16 gauge cord, the electricity just dribbles out the end. Plug in your grill, and it takes about twice as long to cook the bacon...
    Cousin's family was having lots of problems with their electric "stuff". I looked at the mess of "cords" and went to the hardware store. Bought a quality contractor grade, 100 foot, 12 Gauge cord, some boxes and other stuff. Starting at the male end of the cord, 25 feet, cut the cord, weather-proof box, with duplex 15 amp outlet. Put plug on cord, 15 feet, cut the cord, weather-proof box, with duplex 15 amp outlet. Put a plug on the end to make the third cord. Told him to use all that orange ship for ski ropes, a better purpose. Has not needed to replace a griddle or fan...

17. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I have an electric heater that oscillates. The movement really helps with preventing cold spots. Something like it and your heat strip may do the trick

18. Orchid

When we woke up today it was 67 in the house. I was freezing big time. Cut the heat on fast!

[LOL]
    Thank you, this is exactly the answer I was looking for. In my panic, I couldn't remember if most posts had just the 30 or 50 amp and then one regular plug or two! I don't usually do the plugging in, and DH had no idea. That will solve the problem.

You are clearly much tougher than I am. [LOL] I don't do temps under 70 if I can help it.

Thanks for the info on the Mr. Buddy. I never knew those things about it and definitely eases my fear of them.

I was online shopping for electric blankets or mattress covers last night after I posted this. Either one is fine for us to sleep on top of, just looking for cheap.

That was an unrealistic idea said in a moment of panic. [:O]

I completely understand the different gauges of extension cords and how to use them properly, but thanks. That's not really an issue that we're having. I only have a couple of 12 gauge extension cords and would never overload them, even on watch.

I know there are lots of people out there who use the orange ones due to price. I think I paid around $75 for each of our 12 gauge ones. But, once again, that's not an issue I'm having. I was just worried about there not being enough plugs.

And, actually, after fully reading this thread, I may just invest in a Mr. Buddy and a couple of heated mattress pads. After all, this is only winter #1 in a PUP with no furnace. We will need good heat for a long time to come.

19. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

You sound just like the DW. She is from Boca Raton, she says this is as cold a climate as she will live in....OMG !!!!

20. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

Orchid, I'm in south FL and get chilled easy too. We too have no furnace and went the Buddy Heater route. We got the medium size one, Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy , and got the hose extension to attach to the propane tank outside. When I know it's going to be cold I just bring an extra 20lb bottle and have it sitting on the ground under the tent. We feed the hose out the tent by the is sink and have the heater on the stove top or floor. It's worked out really well and total investment was around $100. It does have a bunch of safety features and is made to use in tents and cabins. I've had it down to 37 in an early cold front in St. Augustine and it worked like a charm.