Freezing in Florida

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Orchid, Nov 15, 2016.

1. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Up here in New England, that's what we set the thermostat in the house to.

2. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

I know the people in Canada and northern US are laughing their butts off ready these posts about us Floridians and what we consider cold to be but the dampness here makes the cold a lot more penetrating.... OK ya'll keep laughing

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We will get along just fine. [:D] Being from the mountains of WV, and spending the first 42 years of my life in ice and snow, I have no excuse. The last two winters we spent in WV, I was getting really overwhelmed with the cold. The last winter we lived there, the heat broke in our Jeep and literally cried. [sf]

I've always had this deathly fear of Buddy heaters. This thread is making me feel much more confident about one, and that may be an investment we need to make.

I'm not sure what kind of nutcase orders a camper with furnace. The fact that you are in south FL and need heat, just goes to show what a bad idea that was.

That's thick blood, right there! We are usually between 78-80 here.

Is that true about the dampness? [LOL] If it is, I'm going to use it when my northern friends make fun of me. [A]

The first winter we lived here in FL, the power went out for about 24 hours in the dead of winter. We had the fireplace burning, but without the electric blower, it wasn't doing much. All I could think was how horrifying it was that we lived our entire lives up north and were going to freeze to death in our first FL winter. [:O]

4. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

So the Southwest has the "Dry Heat", and Florida has the "Heat and Humidity and now the "Damp Cold".

Doesn't really have the same ring.

5. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

We get the "Bitter Cold".... :p

[​IMG]

6. jumpoff

Honestly that's frightening. Were those pictures taken on earth ???

7. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Our house thermostat is set at 66 in the winter, we might bump it up if it gets damp weather.
    I truly believe that a person can acclimate themselves to the environment, or ruin themselves to it.
    It cracks me up on folks that must have the AC blasting at 68 when its 70 outside, but the heat on 72 when its 68.

8. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

9. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

We usually set the thermostat to 67 in the winter and 72 in the summer. However, it is really humid here in the summer. Sometimes, setting t at 72 doesn't take enough moisture out of the air. Dropping it jut a degree will make the AC run longneck enough to dry it out a bit.

If you don't live with humidity, this may not make sense. And relative humidity is not a good gauge of how miserable it is. Dew point is a much better scale to use. Anything much over 70 is pretty damp.

Oh, and for the OP, just to make it easier to find on an internet search, the heater is a Buddy heater, and it is made by Mr. Heater. It is often called Mr Buddy by mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

I hope you did not feel I was trying to insult your knowledge of cords. But remember, if you have a problem, you will not be the first to have it, or the last... No way to know what others know. BTW, the post in CG, the outlet is normally close to where the power is split. In your house you may have 75 feet of 14gauge between the breaker box and outlet. Add 100 feet of cord when you only need 20?

I have a Little Buddy, and have had it shut down on the low O sensor. (Set in the cab of pickup, while getting out of the extra clothes after fixing trailer lights in sub-zero weather) I know that it worked once, but will not bet my life that it would again. Don't sleep with it on.
    BTW, when we heat the house we set it to 62o and run a space heater in the bathroom...
    Reading the rest of the thread, maybe you should go with something like http://www.mrheater.com/forced-air-kerosene-heater-1214.html
    warm a good part of the site, heat the camper from outside [:D]

11. jumpoff

12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have a Buddy heater - used it in a tent a couple times with no issues. I usually fire it up to warm up the space for bed, then shut it down while I snuggle up under covers. Sometimes if it is really cold I might wake up and have to turn it on to warm up the tent. Fell asleep a few times, no issues. I would have no worries using it in a PUP. Ice fishermen and hunters use them all the time.

That being said - I think the Olympia Wave heater might be a better solution. I have heard good things about it, but it is much more pricey, but would be a good permanent solution.

If you use a Buddy in a PUP, a small fan would help to distribute the heat.

We keep our house at 67 during the summer, and the heater usually doesn't pop on in the winter until 64/65. We enjoy the AC far more than the heater in ours!

13. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

Orchid, where in WV did you live? It's going to snow here (WV) this weekend, should be able to ski within a few weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. John61CT

John61CT New Member

There really isn't that much difference when it comes to efficiency, basically watts are watts and BTU are BTU.

I've been very happy with these for a few years now, but if you turn them up, they do need the amps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=754200+lasko

15. John61CT

John61CT New Member

Yes fanless, silent, more efficient but pricey. Buddy's better value for $ short term.

But ventless can be moist and deadly, the latter's always an issue with propane even vented, does require knowledge and attention.

If shore power's there IMO stick to electric

16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We lived in Keyser for the last 11 years prior to moving here. We lived one year in Berkeley Springs, and originally from Fairmont.

The majority of my family live in Fairmont and Morgantown. What part are you in?

17. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

Fairmont

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. jumpoff

Is that "By God" West Virginia ????

19. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Close:

West "By God" Virginia. :)

I'd live in a coal town 2 months of the year while growing up.

20. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I don't know.. Florida isn't all peaches and cream.. :)

[​IMG]

But you'all got Disney!