freezing in the Smokies with electric heat.

brucesmith

Jul 8, 2012
Camping in the smokies this weekend and not really been that cold but boy were we cold Sunday first week of Oct.

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
Can you give a little bit of details on what you had for heat, how you used it, LP furnace available, overnight low temperatures?

We do pretty well down to the 40s with just one 1500 watt heater with the PUP furnace as backup. Below that, I know the furnace really cycles much more frequently. I wouldn't want to do freezing temperatures with just electric heat.

But you can also augment your tolerance for cold temps with sleeping bags rated for colder temperatures, heating blankets or heated mattress pads, Buddy heaters, etc.

How were the fall colors?

ghacker

Super Active Member
Nov 8, 2009
Need to keep in mind for Fall camping that 50 deg. in the Spring feels a lot warmer than 50 deg. in the Fall. Your body adjusts over a long period of time to warmer/colder weather.

chinolofus

Apr 27, 2012
We camped and it was 32 over night. The pup was at 60 degrees with a small space heater. We have a 10 foot box and 2 large dogs though so that helps with the heat.

brucesmith

Jul 8, 2012
It was 39 and raining. We had a 1500 watt electric heater no furnace. Our AC has a heat select on it but it will more less just drop the temp. a few deg. and maintain that temperature. Heat had been off all day we returned that night to a damp cold camper, it took it a while to knock the chill out.

regis101

Feb 21, 2011
Since I haven't found a fan driven space heater that's quiet enough, I use one or both of these. Mmmm, toasty.

DSCN2164.jpg

Buttermilk

May 6, 2012
Our first trip in our popup was to Cosby Campground (no electricity) in the Smokies in October a couple of years ago. We have a propane furnace but didn't know how long it would run off the battery and it got pretty cold the first night. We ended up driving to Pigeon Forge and buying some blankets. Nice and cozy after that.