French Creek SP or Somewhere Else in SE PA? Things to Do?

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by JunkyBurrittos, Aug 22, 2018.

1. JunkyBurrittos

JunkyBurrittos Active Member

Hi all,

We made last minute plans to attend a family reunion in the Reading area and we managed to luck out in snagging a last-minute cancellation for a full-hook up site at FCSP on a Holiday weekend. Woo hoo!

I'm traveling with two boys aged 13 and 15 and just wanted to confirm this is the right choice for us or to see if I should just look around a little bit further. I recall this place with some nostalgia -- I think this is where I first was on a sailboat at about five years old many MANY years ago, and we may or may not have had family picnics here in the past.

In looking at reviews though, it seems that this park has become rather worn. The pool that seemed initially a great amenity would cost us close to $30 a day for the three of us to use (NOT included in our $50 per night camping fee!), and being a public pool sounds horrifyingly dirty and overcrowded. Reviews of site size, bathroom cleanliness, etc seem to be a mixed bag.

My guys do like camping resort amenities like a good pool, maybe minigolf and/or activities like crafts or bingo. We definitely have done the state park/national park thing too but I know I need to find fun activities in the area in that event so they don't turn on me. LOL.

The camping resorts in the area seem to be a mixed bag in terms of reviews as well though. Honestly nothing seems to stand out as a spectacular campground in the area. Some positive reviews at some campgrounds to be sure, but mixed in with a lot of negative reviews as well.

Anyhow I know we are truly lucky to have found anything on short notice, but I'm looking for feedback on the following:

* Is French Creek SP still reasonably nice or is cleanliness/maintenance an issue? Is the pool horrifying? Any special tips for camping here?
    * Are there other campgrounds in the Reading area that are recommended and that we should also at least look into for availability? I had been contemplating Lake in Wood and the Adventure Bound resorts but not sure based upon reviews.
    * What types of activities would you try to do in the area with teenage boys? I'm considering either taking them to Hershey or to Philly. I'm recovering from a broken leg, so walking miles would not be a good thing. I could use a knee scooter if necessary, but not on cobblestones.

I appreciate any perspective any of you can provide. Thank you so much!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  2. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

You might consider factory tours that are within day trip range. Harley Davidson in York comes to mind.

3. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

4. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

when do you plan on heading to reading ? mike and a few of us will be dutch oven cooking first weekend of sept, at codurus state park, only a hour and a half drive roughly , but doable for a day if interested .

5. JunkyBurrittos

Thanks so much for the invite vagov! That park looks great! I’m down for the same weekend I think — Labor Day Weekend. But I think it’s just going to be too far away since we’re catching up with people in the Reading area. If you go this weekend every year maybe I can plan ahead next time. I’d love to see a demo one of these days!

6. JunkyBurrittos

Great thank you! I didn’t know that was there.

7. JunkyBurrittos

Awesome, thank you for the suggestion.

8. JunkyBurrittos

Soooo the kids are kind of burnt out on camping since we just got back from a ten day trip to Maine, and the camper grew all sorts of issues that I will likely not be able to remedy in the next few days if at all, so we’re skipping the camping and springing for a hotel. The kids are happy but I’m groaning and clutching my wallet.

I’m soooo angry, mostly at myself. If I would have cancelled yesterday, it would have been a $10 fee. Because I cancelled this morning, it’s costing me $60 to not camp at French Creek!!! For a reservation I made a week ago. Ugh. All my fault, it’s there in the cancellation guidelines, I was just too exhausted to deal with this yesterday. Hopefully they’ll use my $60 for cleaning supplies and they’ll go scrub those bathrooms. [:D]

9. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

sorry to hear about the cancellation fee, the $10 would have hurt alittle less, the dog weekend is sept7-9 so probally wouldnt have worked for you anyhow. ever consider a air b&B, i rented a whole house in florida, for half of what it would cost me for a hotel before just a thought.

10. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

There are other factory tours in the area too. I don't know if they'll be offered today or on weekends though.

Cancellation fees are no fun. At least at Virginia State Parks, you can change reservations all you want. It's only when you completely cancel that you incur a fee.

11. JunkyBurrittos

I wanted to change it to a one day reservation and then just go hang out for the day since they were making me pay for it anyhow. But "change reservation" would only allow me to change my equipment or number of people I must have tried twenty times! Completely pointless!

12. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Oh! I should have been more specific. For Va State Parks, you have to call the state DCR directly, which means business hours Mon-Fri only. Reserve America only allows equipment and number changes. PA State Parks may vary though. I think each state handles things a little differently.

I hope you still have a great weekend. You've got me thinking about the Whoopie Pie Festival on the following weekend, 9/8/18. Sigh...