Fresh water fill idea.

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by bheff, Apr 3, 2020.

1. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Full disclosure: I stole this pic from a different forum. The idea isn't mine.
    Many use water jugs to fill their fresh water tank. There has been many discussion on the best way to use them to fill the tank. This guy used a RV water pump, a spare outside shower enclosure and some tubing. Place one end in your fresh water tank, the other in your water jig, flip a switch and your tank is filling!
    Water-Pump-300x225.jpg

2. davekro

davekro Active Member

I fill my 10 gal tank with a hose. We don't have a water pump and only use the sink faucet minimally to wash hands/ dishes. We bring gallon jugs for drinking and COFFEE. Is this filling from 5 gal. bottles to add (non street) drinking water? Or when dry camping and you use up the water in your onboard water tank (you people w/ pumps, sheesh [LOL][LOL]) OK, OK. I'd love to add a pump one day and an outdoor shower. ;o)

I recall seeing one YouTube video that the guy was describing what all the connections were on the outside of the trailer. When he got to the 'street water fill connector' that a garden hose connects to he did a thumbs down w/ writing saying "never use this." (The video had no audio). Anyone have any idea why he said that, especially like it was common knowledge and needed no explanation??

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I use a bucket and a funnel to get water into the tank. It works well enough but difficult to juggle everything. This might be onto something here, but instead of an expensive pump I could get away with those portable showers that has a small pump you stick in a bucket. Though lately I’ve seen more campgrounds that now have freshwater hose to fill your water tanks near the dump station. So you can fill the tanks just before pulling in.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If you had to fill up while parked with no water around, some put a board on top of the wall and have a 2x4 or some sort of leg to make a high table. They then put a jury can on top of it and let it go into a funnel and tube and gravity feed into the fill port. If you cant lift the jug, or dont have a gravity port this is a good option. ( in fact its the only option for me as i dont have a gravity port on the TT)

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have been using a second pump and 2 hoses to refill my water tank for years.. got the idea from Greyfox many years back... still debating on if we get a water bladder or continue using the aquatainer...

6. Sjm9911

What type of pump did you get snow?

7. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

I haven't owned a trailer of any description to which I didn't add a fresh water transfer pump, reusing the same pump when I sold one camper and bought another. Over the course of hundreds of camping trips the amortized cost of the pump is insignificant. On our Santa Fe I mounted the pump in a box on the trailer tongue.

[​IMG]

In my Yuma ...

[​IMG]

In our TrailCruiser hybrid the pump sat in a tray mounted under one of the dinette seats ...

[​IMG]

In our KZ Spree travel trailer ...

[​IMG]

For our Coachmen Freedom Express travel trailer I even plumbed the pump output directly to the trailer's fresh water tank so all I had to do was drop the pump intake feed into an Aquatainer of fresh water sitting in the back of the truck and turn the pump on - talk about simple. [A]

[​IMG]

The key to being able to suck ALL the water out of each Aquatainer is to use a draw tube that reaches the bottom of the 'Tainer, unlike the hose which will only curl up and leave quite a bit of water in the 'Tainer.

[​IMG]

The possibilities are endless and ALL are far easier & quicker than trying to fill the trailer's fresh water tank manually. :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    akriot and gladecreekwy like this.
  8. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

I fill mine with a hose before we leave home.
    Maybe I'm odd, but we never drink the water from the onboard tank.

Louis P., Caper and davekro like this.
  9. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

I typically fill ours on the way in to the campgrounds when we don't have hookups. That works fine for several days, but on our week-long trips we typically need to refill (wife washes hair using outside shower, etc). So far, I've been muscling up the aquatainer with a funnel, but like the idea of a transfer pump.

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

So far, the rattle siphon has worked well for us. It actually works well enough I sometimes use that to fill at home instead of getting out the 50' hose needed to reach the hose bib. We don't have space for a pump installation like that anyway.

11. GreyFox

Pump doesn't have to go on the trailer, instead mount it in a plastic tool box that you can store anywhere when not in use.

Milemaker13, akriot and Caper like this.
  12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I actually used the stock pump from our old Palomino pup when I replaced it.. think it does 2.7 gal/min or something like that.. it's nothing special, works good ...

I store my pump is a cardboard box, the 2 hoses curl up and sit in one of the storage compartments beside the box... I just tapped power off the water pump to a two way plug and have mating plug on the aux. Pump.. might get around to making it a switched plug one of these days..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

You can used the water pump in the camper as a transfer pump. Years ago I saw a diagram how to add valves (like 3 or 4 valves), a few fittings and a few feet hose. The mod allowed you to switch the valves and your RV pump becomes your transfer pump from an outside hose to the holding tank. I did a quick search and found this link, it looks like about the same instructions. ONBOARD TRANSFER PUMP

We minimize our water used when dry camping to less than 6 gallons per day. I normally fill up when I get to a CG. If I know there is not water at the CG, I fill up before I leave. If I need more water while at the CS, I fill up with some 4g jugs that I have a lid that that I attached a 3 foot 5/8 hose to make it easy to pour into the holding tank.

tzmartin, gladecreekwy and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. Sjm9911

Good idea, i may do just that. Might be the cheaper just in case option.

15. GreyFox

Sure you can - and it's a PITA, especially when you happen to choose the wrong time to transfer water, like when your wife is ready to shower and finds there's no water flow because you're transferring water. Uh, no thanks. [LOL] It's also a PITA when you forget to later reset the valves correctly. [V]

16. Sjm9911

I think mine is arually built to do that, but with the acess being crappy and the non existent labling, limited acess, coupled with the short hose , i was thinking to get a pump. But , spending 100$ bucks on a pump that i may or may not use is daunting. I guess i can lable it and figire it out. Then add a longer hose. I think i may try this. Plus , if i dont have any water im in trouble already.

17. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

DH uses a Ivation shower pump and Hydroller to make filling up at the campsite easier. The Hydroller container has an opening big enough to drop the pump inside and start pumping. Remove the shower head to place the hose inside the fresh water tank. The Hydroller has wheels and a handle to transport easily. No heavy lifting required. The Ivation shower pump is usb rechargeable and very portable.

https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Portable-Outdoor-Battery-Powered/dp/B00IFHFJXI/ref=mp_s_a_1_5dchild=1&keywords=ovation+shower+pump&qid=1585966357&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Pro...ners&qid=1585966431&sprefix=reliance+&sr=8-18

Happy camping...[ALPU][PUT]

18. GreyFox

Although I've always used a ShurFlo potable water pump a less expensive but equally suitable choice would be a 12 vdc transfer pump like this that costs far less ...

https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-dc-transfer-pump-290-gph-63324.html

... with the bonus being it has standard 3/4" GH fittings vs 1/2" NPT fittings on a ShurFlo that have to be adapted to 3/4" GH if you choose to use standard potable water hose. :)

19. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

yes, i use a portable shower pump to fill my fresh water tank if i need to from my 8 gal hydroroller. works really well, don't have to lift anything.

The_Al_Mighty likes this.
  20. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Been thinking about something like this. I’m afraid the pump will freeze and be damaged in the morning. I’m looking to pump water from a stream or river through a filter and into my tank. Was thinking portable but unless I bring into the camper at night same issue.