Fresh water fill idea.

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by bheff, Apr 3, 2020.

1. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

The OP mod is pretty cool.

When dry camping I fill up at the campsite potable water hose Bibb.
    When I get low I set my 5 gal jugs on my camp table and old fashioned siphon into the gravity fill with a short piece of garden hose.

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

I do the same with any hard wall water container but the result is not the same with a water bladder which collapses when there's no water in. The bladder layers stick together with the end result being the interior walls will never dry out. [XX(] To each his/her own but I'd never use one. ;)

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I see what you mean... only way to over come that collapsing issue would be to slighty inflate with some air... but then it's not compact... I have toyed with the bladder idea, just never got around to getting one (or borrowing one) .

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I think mold needs air to grow. So if the container is sealed when put away, and sterilized it should be good to use. Of you see mold, its probably not air tight , so throw it out and get another one. You could also use a higher concentration of bleach, whats left over will dilute in the water. Just dont use the fragrance stuff. Or filter it before drinking or putting in the camper. And yes, i am officially board out of my mind.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  5. jacinda

jacinda Member

Loving this thread, I think this is a very interesting discussion[​IMG]

6. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

The bladders (smaller than a 5 gallon collapsible bucket) we use in our Camelback or Osprey hip pack get partially filled and stored in the freezer. I haven't had to scrub mold or black slime since I have started using the freezer.

7. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

Leave it out in the hot sun for a while. What's the saying? Sunlight is the best disinfectant. :D

Natureangel likes this.
  8. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Still won`t dry out the interior of a collapsed water bladder - needs air movement for any remaining water to evaporate. ;)

9. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

Leave the cap off. I've dried out collapsible jugs that way.

10. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I did something a little different. I made a water transfer kit. I used a Harbor Freight 12vdc pump and a small motorcycle battery. The hoses are not pictured. I mounted it all in a old ammo can. I can charge the small battery with a small solar cell. The idea was to make it portable. I can take it down to a creek to fill my water container, and then I use it to transfer the water into the camper. On a test I found that I could run the motor and pump water on the small battery for more than 45 minutes non-stop. The pump puts out water like a regular garden hose. Lots of volume. Water pump.jpg Water trans pump.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    artwolf, FARfetched and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Nicely done.

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

If your jug is like mine, it doesn't self collapse and will hold its shape until you collapse it.. a water bladder self collapses as the water is removed..

FARfetched likes this.