Fresh Water Holding Tank

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by carlr, Jul 19, 2011.

1. carlr

carlr New Member

We have owned our PUP since 1986. We have never used the fresh water holding tank. We are thinking of going to some State Parks with no hook ups and will want to use the tank. Any ideas how to thoroughly clean the tank. I know I can flush water through but after 25 years of never being used I would think I should clean it with something. Who knows what kind of critters have been in there.
    All ideas welcome.
    Thanks

2. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Fill the tank with one cup of bleach and water and flush. I would do this a few times to be on the safe side. We don't drink the water out of the tank. Just use it for washing up and dishes. We carry gallons of water for coffee and bottled water for drinking.

3. carlr

carlr New Member

Thanks. Good point about the drinking. Even with hook ups we use an in line filter.
    Using it for washing dishes and such is a great suggestion.
    Thanks

4. cruising usa

cruising usa New Member

After the tank has been flushed, refilled and sanitized it should be good to use. With the proper chlorine solution in the tank and flushed trough the water system and left to soak for a minimum of 3 hours you should be good to go. I believe most of the water tanks are made of the same material as milk bottles.
    Happy Camping
    Ken

5. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

As long as you sanitize the tank as outlined above you should be good to go. I would also suggest you thoroughly test the system before you leave town. Make sure the pump works; that there are no leaks etc. etc. When you hook up to outside water you don't use the pump and the water lines from the tank to the tap.

Better safe than sorry.

Have a great experience with no hookups - it's the only way to go.

BTW how is your battery and your power conservation best practices ;-)

6. carlr

carlr New Member

That's another item I need to address. I have never hooked up a battery to the PUP but it dose have a wiring harness on the tongue for one. At least I think that's what it is. I will post a photo when I can to get feedback. My Brother has a battery he is going to donate that is brand new. I just need to buy a battery BOX.