Fresh water tank cleaning, and gray water tank?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by crazymama30, Apr 21, 2018.

1. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

Hello all. I did no use the water tank in my pup at all last year as my tow vehicle really could not handle the extra weight. My new tow vehicle can, so I want to use it at least for cooking and cleaning and such. I tried to search the forums but did not have much luck (I could have been using the wrong search terms). I am guessing I would use bleach to clean the fresh water tank, but at what concentration?

Also, how does the gray water tank work, and could someone post some pics of one may be? That would be of great help.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Search this site or Google " rv water tank sanitation" or sterilization, you'll get lots of hits, including many youtube how to videos.

Again, a search with the correct terminology is needed.. search the portal for "grey water setup" ..

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Check out THIS video.

I sanitize my tank two to three times a year. I never use the tank water for drinking and never have in any of my past campers.

4. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Not sure what the best way to clean. My only concern would be using bleach. I dont think the water pump would do well using bleach as it may damage the impeller and seals.

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Bleach will have no negative impact on the water pump. You must run the water pump after you put the bleach/water into the tank because the water pump and lines will hold bacteria. If you don't run the pump when sanitizing you may as well not even sanitize the tank.

My water pump has a filter that should be taken out and cleaned off every time I sanitize. It is on the pump or right next to it. If you get "slime" in your tank, the slime will clog the filter.

6. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

Holy cow! Grey water tanks are expensive! That alone makes the decision for me.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

If you don't have a grey water tank now, catch the grey water in portable tank or an Aqua-tainer jug.

8. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

This is my set up for the sink, cheap but it works. I do have a grey tote for the shower water though.

Attached Files:

9. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

1/4 cup of bleach to every 15gals of water is a common way to sanitize freshwater tanks and suggested in many owners manuals.

Portable grey tanks are not cheap ~$50 for a small 7 gal if I recall, and they have the standard hose connection your older starcraft likely has coming off the sink. There are all sorts of other ways to capture grey waste water, such as jpbar suggests. However, a larger portable grey water tote with wheels is easiest on the back and can be easily towed to the dump station. ;)

10. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

My 76 pop up has the original fresh water tank in it and I kept getting a whitish film in the water. I used the bleach and it seemed to help, but it was just way to gross to forget. Soooo....
    I bought a 6" screw in deck plate, cut a hole in the top of the tank and now I just unscrew the top and clean it all out.
    Best thing I ever did. Now I don't have to think twice about making my coffee in the morning.

11. hq308

hq308 Active Member

Not sure if it's the 'right' way to do it but I just poured a bottle of baby bottle sterilizing solution into the tank and ran a hose from the pump back into the tank and let the pump circulate it for about 30 minutes. I then drained and refilled the tank a couple of times. In saying all that, despite the age of my trailer the water came out of the tank clean the first time I filled it, I just sterilized it to be on the safe side. We also only plan to use the tank water for cleaning.