Freshwater tank gauge

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by lilspanisheddie, May 30, 2020.

1. lilspanisheddie

lilspanisheddie Member

How can you know the levels in your freshwater tank? I am camping right now and this is the first time I have ever used it. I think I’m out of water and will refill but it would be nice to see the levels. Very difficult to tell looking under the pop up. Also, my manual doesn’t say what size tank I have. Would that be listed somewhere?

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

If you look under the camper you may see the water level. On our Coleman popup I even marked the tank with a magic marker 5gal, 10 gal, etc.

Sjm9911 and kitphantom like this.
  4. lilspanisheddie

lilspanisheddie Member

Thank you! I have the manual but didn’t have that brochure. The probes look easy enough so does just marking the sides.

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I know someone who put a clear vinyl hose on the drain valve and ran it up the outside of the camper. It acted as a sight glass.

PopUpSteve, kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Think that is in the model section of the Portal.

I always used the simple thing of when the pump ran continuously and no water coming out the faucet it was time to refill.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Our friends labeled their fresh tank by pouring water in 5 gallons at a time and marking the tank with Sharpie. Ours is visible enough that we can see it from both sides of the trailer. We know it is 20 gallons, but realistically, we can only use around 16-18, depending on the site. (Even with leveler blocks, it doesn't take more than a hair off-level to tilt that water towards or away from the intake.) We can see the intake from one side so know when it's approaching grabbing air instead of water.
    We're now pretty good at knowing how much water we use, as well as how fast our waste tanks fill, on most trips, although I keep tabs on fresh and black tanks, there is no way to see the gray water one. Usually it is just my husband and me, or me on a solo trip, and we're pretty consistent. On my first trip in a couple of weeks, a friend will be along, and I've been doing start-of-the-season rinsing, etc., so the waste tanks may fill a bit earlier than usual, but it's just a long weekend.

8. MrGunsandGear

MrGunsandGear New Member

Genius. I will be doing just that when I fill the tank. Thank you for that tip!

9. 88FlagstaffProject

88FlagstaffProject New Member

hey guys long time reader first time poster. You all may know of this place, I've never used them but I've had them in my bookmarks as I have seen some good deals. I like the shape of some of their tanks, the larger ones could be hidden under the frame or furnishings, provided your setup can haul the weight.
    https://www.rvandvansurplus.com/Freshwater-Tanks_c_36.html

10. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

After years of experience we can hear when then tank is starting to get low by how the pump sounds. It starts sucking in air a bit and we know its time to fill it up again. It will still pump enough when it starts to suck in air that we have time to have someone go and get more water while the last bit is being used by someone using the sink.

Another thing we do is keep a mostly filled tote with water behind the camper, waiting for the moment we need more water. Then empty the tote into the camper to be used while refilling the whole tank. This works like a "kan-ban" replenishment system in manufacturing to always have a small spare amount of inventory ready to be used when inventory is consumed.

These simple methods work easy and don't require drilling holes, or a probe that requires wiring up to electronic indicators.

On a related note, when we pack up and go home we empty the tank by using the pump to pump out the water. I used to get under the camper and empty the drain plug, but now I learned I can just pump almost all of the water out and that's easier.

Our water tote and "kan-ban" system.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020