Fridge burner help please!

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
EDIT: I think I'm back in business! I somehow had dropped out the little orfice jet and once I found and replaced it, everything seems to be working normally again. Would be nice if we could get pics back on that thread, but it was still helpful.

We are camping on Friday... I pulled out the camper from is parking spot, and since I connected a new propane tank, decided it would be good to pre-light the fridge since we will not have Shore Power this trip. The burner wasn't lighting properly, instead gas was coming out in the wrong places and becoming a fire hazard.

So I found this thread: https://www.popupportal.com/threads/success-propane-fridge-repair.24205/page-4

I essentially followed these directions, but since time was of the essence I didn't pull the fridge out. Instead I was able to carefully wrangle the "crack pipe" out of the chimney, disconnect it, and then blow it out. Nothing appreciable came out of it. So I decided to try to light it, partially assembled out of the chimney stack. Long story short, on high it's like a blow torch. On medium and low, it's probably doing what it's supposed to for the most part, but gas still jumps down to the hole near the bottom of the crack pipe which is again a fire hazard.

Questions:

1) What on earth would have caused the gas to go from very gentle to "blow torch"?
2) Why is gas jumping down to the orfice hole?
3) Can I save my camping trip without resorting to coolers?

Thanks!

Last edited:

tfischer

OK rereading the post I linked to, it talks about a "little aperture cup" that I"m supposed to make sure I don't lose. That sounds important, and without pics I have no idea what they are talking about. Can someone describe it, or even better, show me a picture? That might be the key to why I have "turbo burn" right now.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
As you probably found out, installing that orifice (little aperture cup) can be a little hard to do. It does only go in one way, and sometime can get picnch by the propane tube if you are not careful. But I bet you found that out!

Michael J

Aug 9, 2018
Michigan
When I cleaned my Crack pipe I didn't see anything in there either but when I stuck a qtip in there and pulled it out it had cobwebs all over it then blew it out with the air compressor and cleaned the cup out with a qtip and rubbing alcohol all seems ok now, but my old Dometic I had to do the fan modification to get it down to a decent temperature

tfischer

When I cleaned my Crack pipe I didn't see anything in there either but when I stuck a qtip in there and pulled it out it had cobwebs all over it then blew it out with the air compressor and cleaned the cup out with a qtip and rubbing alcohol all seems ok now, but my old Dometic I had to do the fan modification to get it down to a decent temperature

I used a pipe cleaner (my wife still has them on hand) and compressed air. I never noticed anything come out but it sure works again now... fridge kept cool through our weekend trip.

Michael J

Aug 9, 2018
Michigan
I used a pipe cleaner (my wife still has them on hand) and compressed air. I never noticed anything come out but it sure works again now... fridge kept cool through our weekend trip.
Nice! Congratulations! Mine works great in the.cooler weather but over 80deg F I can't keep it cold..... Then I did the fan mod.and no more problems well except it sometimes turns into a freezer LoL

tfischer

Nice! Congratulations! Mine works great in the.cooler weather but over 80deg F I can't keep it cold..... Then I did the fan mod.and no more problems well except it sometimes turns into a freezer LoL
Yep I did the fan mod years ago... I generally only turn it on if it's 80 degrees or hotter though, so my results seem to match yours.